Do we bench Corey Whitely

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Daggernewbie

Lets see how many think it`s about time John benched Corey his confidence is shot I think give him break to take the pressure off for a while because every game piles on more pressure to preform.
Newdaggersfan

Simple...yes
Mike the Dagger

Up to Stilly.
Auntie Merge

this discussion is really going to help the guy's confidence!

Up to John Still. Personally, I'd stick with him.
RayleighDagger1986

The answer to this is simply NO.
Corey is a player who is much better as a no.10. Since playing wide, he's lost that something. He's better in the middle.
Ideally. Drop Lokko.
Put Robson back at centre half.
Move Howell alongside Boucaud or Adams
Move Whitley centre
Play Sparkes wide
redboy

I'm amazed at the amount of discussion there is on here regarding one player. Nobody is bigger than the team. The idea of having a squad is to have players capable of replacing injured / suspended / out of form players. If someone can't get in the team despite another player consistently underperforming (not just Corey), his own confidence will drop, let alone faith in the manager. Football is about opportunities and where one door may close for one player, another one will open for somebody else.
mickeyblue

football all about opinions eh.
for me corey stays in. imo he still our best player, yes things not working out for him but he still better atm than other options even playing bad.
end of the day we just had a few wins and all we can talk about is corey lack of form. i wonder what it would do to his form if stilly dropped him, some players need a kick up backside others need backing im only guessing he needs backing.

now i hope corey dont read this stupid forum
but we finished 9th!
TommyD&R

RayleighDagger1986 wrote:The answer to this is simply NO.
Corey is a player who is much better as a no.10. Since playing wide, he's lost that something. He's better in the middle.
Pretty much spot on. Same case with Luke Howell, both great players who are wasted when put out wide.
Mark

I wouldn't want us to go back to Whitely at 10 even though it is better for him. We look so much more solid with the extra defensive player in the team. Robson is a great centre back but the work he does in the middle with Boucaud and Howell is one big reason we've just won 3 on the bounce.
SUSSEX DAGGER

The Lad is an obvious talent . He is 26 the talent he has never just materialised when he got here , we are now seeing the reason as to why he is playing at this level . He is perhaps a tad inconisistant and can have periods we are now seeing.

The Manager has faith in him , the question is has he got faith in himself to overcome this current dip.

He is trying and maybe trying to hard at time . What those who were there yesterday saw was a frustrated player who's body language was showing he was beating himself up.

The penalty showed how eager he was, both Ferrier and Cheek fancied it but he grabbed the ball.
Would have thought that this would have been sorted before he start because after watching three players
Look keen the one who finally put the ball down was always had the added pressure on them when it looked like they were the one who insisted on it.

Well done Morgon by the way , when he missed and sank to his knees the first one to console him was Morgon , this bloke really has bought into the Dagger spirit and his performance and attitude yesterday was simply game changing.

That's what Corey needs to look at, he had a period when things were not going right but he kept at it and we all saw yesterday what keeping at it brings when things are not going right.

He needs an arm around him and with our Management/staff they will know the answer to this question
ARNU

Bench !!
Didn't see you sticking by and mollycoddling Medi Elito Adrian. So far the only thing you can say of note about him is his tracking back but yesterday he gave the ball away too much for me again so everybody had to track back soon as he gave it away countless times. No doubt in his ability last season was the next Dwight Gayle this last few months he isn't performing so like everyone else surely has to earn his place. What's the worse that can happen ? It's character building a bit of bench time.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Adrian

ARNU wrote:Bench !!
Didn't see you sticking by and mollycoddling Medi Elito Adrian. So far the only thing you can say of note about him is his tracking back but yesterday he gave the ball away too much for me again so everybody had to track back soon as he gave it away countless times. No doubt in his ability last season was the next Dwight Gayle this last few months he isn't performing so like everyone else surely has to earn his place. What's the worse that can happen ? It's character building a bit of bench time.
Are you obsessed with me much? Mentioning me by name in a thread I've not commented in is just a little bit creepy.

Two completely different situations.
Whitely is a decent player having a poor period.
Elito was a mediocre player that tended to stay at that level but was overrated by the likes of yourself.

I don't recall demanding Elito be benched. I just didn't think he was anything like as good as some made out.
ARNU

I am obsessed with you Adrian, in fact I wish I was you. Cos then I too would think Cory whitely could just piss about and get a game regardless of any mediocrity. I mentioned you because you were climbing up whitelys shit pipe in the other thread too.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
nomis

Well said SUSSEX DAGGER

Some valid points there and I agree with you mate

We all have our own opinion's and I for one was shouting at the tv yesterday when Corey wanted to take that penalty as I knew it could go either way with his current form !
Score and confidence returns but miss like that and head drops even lower

For anyone who didn't see BT Sport coverage I recommend the pre match piece on "A Day In The Life Of John Still"
Excellant footage which shows just how good Stilly
Check it out if you haven't already
I'm sure JS will install confidence and belief into Corey and just needs a bit of luck to break this poor spell
DI Mike Dashwood

What is always interesting on here is that on so many occasions when performance etc is discussed people bring "effort" into it. Corey has clearly not been at his best in recent months, but I don't see any lack of effort?? While I am not saying his performances should or shouldn't see him dropped (I think that's difficult to judge and is what Stilly is paid for) I do find it frustrating that whenever person/people play badly people so often through effort into the equation.

Players have good and bad periods. Players also get worked out by other teams at certain points. Corey was very much the new kid on the block last season, and will have been an unknown to a number of teams at the start of this season to, whereas now some teams may have worked out how to play against him now. It's similar in cricket when a new batsman breaks through at international level and often gets off to a flier but when the bowlers work out his strong and weak points he often then goes through a tough period.

If sport was just a case of better players turning up and being able to guarantee they would perform at the same level each week then it would all be pretty pointless. But when they have off periods it does not mean that it is necessarily a lack of effort which causes it.