RUSHING FOR THE EXITS

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

It wouldn't be right if some-one wasn't to have a little moan on here but this has bugged for a while.

It stood out for me a few weeks back that after beating us, the Woking fans (2000 or whatever it was) had all stayed back in the ground for a good 3 or 4 mins to give their players a rapturous applause. Now either we were just that big a scalp for them or their supporters actually recognise their teams efforts.

Then I look at last night as just one example. A tad over 1000 home fans, a thoroughly decent performance over what where the league leaders and yet at the full time whistle, I heard 1 cheer, a ripple of applause and 75% of supporters dashing for the exit - pretty much a common scenario after every home win or draw this season.

The players, after a brief shaking of hands with the opposition literally had a couple of hundred or so left in the ground to take their very much deserved plaudits.

It was hardly cold, and it's not as if you're coming out of 80,000 at Wembley and have horrific traffic / public transport issues to contend with...

I get not necessarily wishing to stay behind after taking a heavy defeat or even any kind of defeat, but a win, and particularly one like last night is surely more deserving?

Maybe I'm just a miserable old git, but when I see people question the dis-connect between players and fans (compared to 'the old days') - supporters rushing out after THEIR TEAM has just won hardly helps the cause ........ :-?
BB-Dagger

I make you 100% Right
Diggerthedog

The home noise comes from the A13 stand, the players do a half lap at the bury end. Just Saying.
dagger4eva

Wasnt questioning where the noise comes from during the game.

But in answer, if they were to start their lap/half lap from the new stand there would probably be less than 50 people left in the remaining area of the ground....
Cord

Not to start it off from the A13 stand but to include it on the walk round at the end, the fans would wait. Currently we'd have to wait for Stilly to finish his post match team talk and the players warm down just to clap them off.
ARNU

I always stay till the end and clap them off, even when they're rubbish.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:I always stay till the end and clap them off, even when they're rubbish.
Me too. Sometimes I clap more enthusiastically than others.

Yesterday I clapped a lot!
Dagdale

See your point, no problems Saturday but for some of us living quite a way out and using various connections if I dash out quite sharpish still takes me till midnight to walk through my door
Auntie Merge

I've noticed it too. Sometimes I am standing on my own clapping the team off, no matter what the result. I think the only time I didn't clap was at the end of the game that shall not be mentioned.
mickeyblue

no atmosphere plays a part. plus most of people that appluad are in tbs or whatever its called this day and age. i can imagine at away games 90% stay to clap team off, cant manage many this year but last season the 1s i got 2 we all did.
but we finished 9th!
DaggerJoel11

Think a bigger concern is the people who rush for the comforts of their sofa instead of going to the games. Know attendances tend to decline this time of year but don't remember it being this low...
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Diggerthedog

I remember them being 500-600 max in the Istmian League 800 in a big game. Our attendances in the league were held up by travelling numbers. How many turned up for the trophy game last season?

We have to take a gamble, look at Woking & Sutton as examples.
Mike the Dagger

Cord wrote:Not to start it off from the A13 stand but to include it on the walk round at the end, the fans would wait. Currently we'd have to wait for Stilly to finish his post match team talk and the players warm down just to clap them off.
Maybe you could go in the home area not the away stand, then the players come round. They have always started at the Carling and circled that way to the Sieve, even back when "laps of honour" were "only for champions".
Cord

Mike the Dagger wrote:
Cord wrote:Not to start it off from the A13 stand but to include it on the walk round at the end, the fans would wait. Currently we'd have to wait for Stilly to finish his post match team talk and the players warm down just to clap them off.
Maybe you could go in the home area not the away stand, then the players come round. They have always started at the Carling and circled that way to the Sieve, even back when "laps of honour" were "only for champions".
Last i checked, the stand was for both sets of supporters unless an away following of over 600, sorry for liking a better view and a beer at half time.
Mike the Dagger

Cord wrote:
Last i checked, the stand was for both sets of supporters unless an away following of over 600, sorry for liking a better view and a beer at half time.
Well, the price of your beer includes you not having the team come by after the game, until they exit the pitch of course. You could wait if its that important to you.

Swings and roundabouts.