Nearly Two Years On

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

Used him only as a starting. Point and am not even calling for a change . The question was have we improved and as you choose to be pedantic I will re ask the question.

2 wins in the last ten games in a league of shocking teams with some of the opposition made up of part timers that included 2 games against a team in the FA Cup from this shocking Leagur.

Has there been any improvement, I say no
RayleighDagger1986

I totally agree Sussex and at tbe same time gave my reasons why no is the answer! Nowt wrong with that is there?
Adrian

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Used him only as a starting. Point and am not even calling for a change . The question was have we improved and as you choose to be pedantic I will re ask the question.

2 wins in the last ten games in a league of shocking teams with some of the opposition made up of part timers that included 2 games against a team in the FA Cup from this shocking Leagur.

Has there been any improvement, I say no
And I said yes we have improved.
You then tried to invalidate my view because it differs to yours.
You've also said anyone with a different view to you is deluded.
Mark

I would take this team every time. Enjoyment comparison between the two is night and day. Most of Burnett's tenure was awful to watch.

In terms of results you can't avoid that we're not doing the business at the moment though. It is a little worrying.
ARNU

Comparing apples with oranges to a degree. Different league now different calibrate of player. This current team far more exciting to watch but Wayne's team would stuff them 6-0 every time.

I'd rather watch this lot at this level.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
DaggerJoel11

Hard to compare L2 with the NL. At the end of Wayne's tenure we had a team of players who basically couldn't care less, with maybe the only exceptions being Doidge and Labadie. Now we've got players who actually show commitment (maybe not yestetday from what I hear) and passion for the shirt. We have 'Daggers'. That in itself is an improvement.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Mark

I'd be surprised if that team containing the likes of Batt and Chambers managed to beat this side. The Boucaud we had then was overweight and barely moved too.

The one with Murphy and Hines probably would. Although Wayne could easily mess it up by doing strange things such as picking Saah and Connors instead of Wilkinson and Femi.
Adrian

ARNU wrote:Comparing apples with oranges to a degree. Different league now different calibrate of player. This current team far more exciting to watch but Wayne's team would stuff them 6-0 every time.

I'd rather watch this lot at this level.
The way Wayne's team stuffed the Conference teams (and lower) that we played under his management was a thing of beauty.
Masked Man

I forgot to renew my season ticket after relegation.

I skipped some games. I found other things to fill my Saturday afternoons.

I tried coming back a few times, but something had gone for me.

Thanks Burnett, you have freed me from football and now I can do what I want of a weekend and not what I felt dutied to do.
dagger4eva

Masked Man wrote:
I tried coming back a few times, but something had gone for me.
Ya know this is actually BANG ON the money & have thought it a while too.

When I 1st started coming and for the following 10 or so years, there was always a buzz and a good atmosphere within the ground. The Sieve, whilst accompanied by the Drum & Trumpet used to be absolutely rocking!

I'm not necessarily talking just about noise levels, but there was kind of general excitement about the games that seemed to run throughout. I would originally have put it down to being younger and more enthusiastic but I still love my football just as much, probably more than I ever did - and still thoroughly look forward to matchdays at Viccy Rd.

BUT - and of course there's a but, as you say, something throughout the ground on a matchday is missing.
Considering it's not one of your new plastic, ikea stadiums, the whole place feels dead, emotionless and passionless. The only time people seem to really get involved is to either a) take a pop at our players or b) abuse (deservedly) the officials.

Maybe it's a long hangover from a couple of relegations after reaching the dizzy heights of League 1

Maybe it's the shite, drab football Burnett and his mob served up

Maybe it's the whole anti-Thompson thing and division he still manages to cause between club / supporters

Maybe it's a bad feeling hanging over from the Tamplin takeover situation and the fact the takeover STILL hasn't been completed.

Maybe it's something else and/or a combination of the above.

But yeah - I would love it if the 'fun factor' or whatever you would like to call it would return soon.
lupins

I would agree the last couple of years in the League wasn't very entertaining but I think the last two seasons have in the main been quite enjoyable with the style of play and the competitiveness of matches
What's missing is about 300-400 people that makes the difference between the ground buzzing and not. That and the negativity when the game isn't going well. It's now par for the course to boo at half time and chuck out more abuse during a game. Happens throughout football never used too. I still subscribe to the support your team principle even when it's maybe not deserved
If you want to enjoy it more get behind the lads even when it's a struggle to do so it really is much more enjoyable
The anti Thompson thing is a total red herring just an excuse for posturing by. all sides
ARNU

Too much of something and then it just becomes normal/ bland/ mediocre. T-bone steak on holiday with all the trimmings is great but you wouldn't want it everyday. I still enjoy the occasion but there's nothing particularly exciting going on. All the thommo stuff goes over my head as I don't spend my life boozing in the bar. I go to the game then go home so it's only on here that I see reference to the man.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
RampantDuke

I think that it ebbs and flows. The Burnett years were painful - especially towards the end and I have enjoyed the last couple of seasons with a younger team that care a lot more in a league where we can win a few games. Agreed, the last 10 games have been pretty awful but I still tip us to get in to the play offs and then who knows. Atmosphere wise I think that things have improved since our 'little hooligans' started coming a few years back. As Adrian pointed out we were on a spectacular rise up the leagues 10 years ago so of course it was more exciting but after a couple of seasons back in lge 2 it did get dull. The appetite to get back there is naturally missing and I think that might explain why things might feel a bit flat.
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Dave E

dagger4eva

Excellent post - sums up today's situation perfectly