So, You Are Thommo, or Dave The Plumber.......

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

.............and while not admitting it loudly in public, you do the maths, and you know we are safe for the season. Against all odds, come August the Club will be lining up as a Football League Club for the 9th season (time flies hey!!!).

So, you have a manager, and support staff, out of contract in May. You have several leading players also out of contract. Despite some unrest earlier in the season, and real worries about relegation, the Club is now in the middle of one of it's best runs of form since entering the League.

What do you do now??

If it was me, I would want Wayne to stay. I would be honest enough to say their were times in December where I had doubts, but you have proved me and everyone wrong. I would also ask three questions before putting a two year contract offer in his in-tray:

- Why did it take so long for us to come across our best side/formation?? Included within this I would ask why Scott Doe was left out of the side in November for a few games, and also why JC was rested (if that was the case) on Boxing Day but in the last two mid-week games has been left on for the full 95 even when the game was sewn up??

- Why did the side appear to lack the required urgency, energy and leadership through much of November, December and early January?? What have you done to change this, that wasn't being done before?? The fight and passion and leadership shown at Morecambe, Tranmere and Stevenage is what this Club is all about, so why was this missing before??

- What are your plans to trim the squad/wage bill down over the next three months from it's current state, and how will you be setting about instigating a mid term plan on the field for the next 2 or 3 years. Presumably you know to some extent the intentions of the out of contract players so how will you make sure they re-sign or are replaced??

Providing he can give half reasonable answers to those questions I would get the contract written up now!!! Yes it has not always been pretty, but the form of the last three months has been excellent, probably as good as any of the promotion chasers. Wayne has found a formula that is certainly working, and he has done this within the budget and constraints we as a Club have. Some of us doubted him at certain times, some doubted him all the time and wanted him gone, others apparently never doubted him at all (even though there is forum evidence to the contray), but nobody can argue with the last three months.
Diggerthedog

Good post.

I said on another thread it has to be looked at over the last two years. The home form over two seasons is a complete joke, 10 defeats already at home this season and that's what brings in the money. But away form has improved, sure its been better than what Still used to serve up but we got no money from away games.

I think he has done enough to earn himself a new contract but only just and in my view should be a one year extension. Tough decision for the board.
PaulHornchurch

1. Would offer WB a 2 year contract
2. Allow WB to confirm/change DC and WH
3. Reduce budget by £100k to £800k
4. Reduce squad from 27 to 23
5. Try to integrate more Academy players.

If I was WB, I would return 4 loan players to their clubs.
Release Conners, Batt, Gayle, Saah, Chambers, try to re-sign the rest.

I wish it was that easy
Lcbdagger

On current form weeks keep him note but would fully understand if this saw a reduction in season ticket sales for next season.

Would still be concerned that if we are looking at potentially ten or more changes to the squad next session, on the current recruitment strategy WB would need about 45 players to come in before finding 10 successes.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Think Wayne has to have a long think himself firstly.

Keep this form up and he has given himself a decent CV. With money tight even at Clubs with bigger budgets then us he is surely going to appeal.

Would not be surprised if much bigger Clubs then us like Oxford Portsmouth even Southend if they fail again make changes. You could even make a case for Leyton Orient and Plymouth Clubs he has ties with looking for a new Manager in Sunmer.

Already expect next season to be the hardest yet since our return to League Two and does he really need it , if he is going to be abused like this season then you can't blame him if any offer from elsewhere came in.
This time next year we could all be thinking we did not appreciate what we had until we no longer got it.

Next season is not going to be easy the backbone of this team and recent run of form is not going to be here.
leewilson

Diggerthedog wrote:Good post.

I said on another thread it has to be looked at over the last two years. The home form over two seasons is a complete joke, 10 defeats already at home this season and that's what brings in the money. But away form has improved, sure its been better than what Still used to serve up but we got no money from away games.

I think he has done enough to earn himself a new contract but only just and in my view should be a one year extension. Tough decision for the board.
The home form during 2014 was a joke. It hasn't been for the entirety of his time here. In his two full seasons in charge, we have had two good halves and two bad halves.

The latter half of 2013 was good. We had Murphy, Zavon and Medy all flying and were scoring goals for fun which put us on the cusp of the play offs. Then as the former two got injured just after Christmas, our form died off towards the end of the season and the home form went to pot. This carried into the following season with a bad first half to 2014/15. However, we have turned it around since Christmas completely.

We all thought Wayne's time was up if we're being honest he has come good in the key moments and now that he's sorted out the weaknesses within the squad, we've become a much more consistent League 2 side. I'd rather go with what I know at the moment than twist and run the risk of something potential damaging coming into the club.
dagger4eva

If until the end of the season he does manage to maintain the teams performances to the current standards and can continue churning out the same level of results it wouldn’t surprise me at all if another club offered him a deal and I’d say good luck to him. I think the way he’s turned things around means he warrants a new contract at the club. Would I be absolutely devastated if he went however… not really!!
You say he was “abused” – and from what I gather that happened just ONCE away at Southport.
That aside, at actual games, there have been moans, groans a few comments shouted out, a few home truth tweets & last but not least there’s no forgetting “dirty pillowcase-gate” he has had nothing else to deal with that I would constitute as “abuse”.
Up to and shortly after Boxing Day I didn’t speak to a single person (other than our MD) that wanted him to remain in charge & neither was there a single man standing on here. As pointed out, by that stage, even Sussex had turned!!

What Wayne has had to “suffer” up till the turn of the year was all, almost perfectly reasonable and quite timid compared to what he would have been on the receiving end at 95% of other clubs.

Take Luton as an example – despite being up in the playoff positions in their 1st season back in the Football League, John Still only last week had to issue a plea to their fans via You Tube to quit fighting and arguing amongst themselves and quit the moaning and nasty comments and get behind the team.

You can also still tell Wayne absolutely resents the “stick” he did get – he still cant help himself but to mention it in almost every single interview he gives to this day. Check out his last one post Stevenage.

It’s for that reason I personally think he is looking to finish the season as well as possible with a view to going elsewhere.
If he were to stay I think first & foremost he’d have to be prepared to wipe the slate clean with all the supporters and in turn I think it would be vital that supporters would need to do the same with him.

So anyway, in answer to the original post, if I was the board I would currently offer him a new contract for no more than 2 years and at little or no improved terms to his current deal, whatever that may be.

One thing is for certain, its going to be a very interesting summer !!
ARNU

He came thru possibly the darkest days he'll ever have in his career with flying colours.He should thank us for the learning curve and we should thank him for sorting it out by offering him another 2 years contract.I love a trier,Im happy for him that its panned out this way,I hope he stays.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Phippo

On results and effort this year, it would be surprising if he were not offered an extension. Whether he is interested in staying on is another matter! A recent interview with him suggests he could well be moving on.
Lcbdagger

Interesting, if he did go to see if any of the players followed him... Similar interest in any that may look to rejoin Still if they go up our look to challenge next season
The Romford Dagger

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:Think Wayne has to have a long think himself firstly.

Keep this form up and he has given himself a decent CV. With money tight even at Clubs with bigger budgets then us he is surely going to appeal.

Would not be surprised if much bigger Clubs then us like Oxford Portsmouth even Southend if they fail again make changes. You could even make a case for Leyton Orient and Plymouth Clubs he has ties with looking for a new Manager in Sunmer.

Already expect next season to be the hardest yet since our return to League Two and does he really need it , if he is going to be abused like this season then you can't blame him if any offer from elsewhere came in.
This time next year we could all be thinking we did not appreciate what we had until we no longer got it.

Next season is not going to be easy the backbone of this team and recent run of form is not going to be here.

Abused like this season? Really? Think our fans as a whole have been extremely patient towards him.

Unless he's been receiving hundreds of death threats that I didn't know about, I don't think he's been abused in the slightest.
Richie

A 9th place finish and (getting out my crystal ball) a 14th place finish, can't not offer him a new contract IMO
TheLion

Sadly, I feel that he has turned a lot of people off from bothering with season tickets again, my two included. I do not like his reaction to criticism, and I hope that someone else who can get the supporters back on board is appointed.l
Mike the Dagger

TheLion wrote:Sadly, I feel that he has turned a lot of people off from bothering with season tickets again, my two included. I do not like his reaction to criticism, and I hope that someone else who can get the supporters back on board is appointed.
Indeed. His team played very poorly in front of its own fans for 15 months, and it was totally gutless in the two FA Cup games v Southport, which might still prove vital to the clubs future as it was a real chance to get to round 3 and a decent payday.

In his business, of course he is going to get criticised when on those sort of runs of form and results occur. To be honest, the Daggers is somewhere where it is hard to alienate the fans as we all have a realistic view of what the club is and how far it has come, yet Burnett managed it, and still the biggest protest apart from a bit of moaning on here and a few emails to Tommo, was a dirty pillowcase. Despite this he acts like he has been kept up at night by people chucking bricks at his windows. Grow a pair mate if you want to manage a football club for a profession.

The biggest worry to me though is that the crowd saw Brian Saah was the problem defensively so much earlier than he, or his coaching team did.
Mike the Dagger

Richie wrote:A 9th place finish and (getting out my crystal ball) a 14th place finish, can't not offer him a new contract IMO
i reckon even if offered he might do a flounce as all the nasty Daggers fans have been so wicked to him.

Good luck to him if he turns up in a job where they have any major degree of expectation next up though.