Could WB be on his way.....

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

If he stays I can see Season ticket sales being at their lowest point for a long time.
If he goes it might encourage people to renew.
We all talk about the football being dull, dire and boring. About some of the players looking like they are going through the motions, just enough to get paid. There is no team spirit.
This won't change if his contract gets renewed. And definitely do NOT renew for 2 years.
He is out of his depth. The interviews show that more than anything.

And look how many leads we have thrown away? Whatever he was saying at half time destroyed the team.

Nothing will change if he stays.
Alan

It's the speed at which he realises there is s problem and acts on it. Take Saah. A great many of us pointed last year to his poor defending, particularly at set pieces. He got rid of Wilko. Saah was captaining the side for long periods, whilst it became more and more obvious that Saah was a very weak link at centre half. We even went 3 centre halves to protect him. It was only after Saah started arguing with supporters that Wayne dropped him and funnily enough we have conceded less goals and our results have improved. So is Wayne a genius for dropping Saah or an oaf for taking so long to see what we could see and selling a defender who now plays in a side chasing promotion?
Lcbdagger

Alan wrote:It's the speed at which he realises there is s problem and acts on it. Take Saah. A great many of us pointed last year to his poor defending, particularly at set pieces. He got rid of Wilko. Saah was captaining the side for long periods, whilst it became more and more obvious that Saah was a very weak link at centre half. We even went 3 centre halves to protect him. It was only after Saah started arguing with supporters that Wayne dropped him and funnily enough we have conceded less goals and our results have improved. So is Wayne a genius for dropping Saah or an oaf for taking so long to see what we could see and selling a defender who now plays in a side chasing promotion?
Agree on Saah but let's remember we have struck lucky with Ayo... this wasn't a guaranteed success coming in to the team, this was a young lad with very little experience who has proven to be largely rock solid. The goals conceded ratio is largely down to having a top notch replacement for Saah rather than him just being dropped... if we had put him out of the team for 3 months and brought in Gayle I don't think we would have been higher than 3rd bottom right now.

Whether the manager stays of goes I desperately worry about the squad next season, especially if a lot of people do withhold season ticket money after the last year of football. We potentially need a whole new back four unless the likes of Connors and Gayle are suddenly starters next season, we will need a new spine in the middle (although until recently the central midfield area has been a massive let down for me this season anyway) and we will need support up front.

The likes of Jones, if they get a run this season could do a job out wide for us and I still want to see us play two natural wingers next season as a central midfielder out on the right with no pace doesn't work for me in the long run... all is does is give cover for what, at times, has been a central midfield that can't tackle or take control of the game.

Bingham will be a massive loss now he is fit, but the boy could easily move on next season and miss 7 months due to injury, playing less than ten games.

Doe seems to make those around him play well so would be a big loss and Abs has shown how much we miss his attitude and work rate even in games we haven't won.

My big signing concern for next season is if the manager stays and we have a much reduced budget, we can't afford to bring in 20 players and only 5 or 6 of them are any good! Whatever we say about our recovery this year in the past few months, much has been based around a striker who will be 40 next season and a keep who has kept us in more than one game that we should have lost... if we had any more than 5 or 6 consecutive games this season with Cureton out injured, we would be peeing in to the proverbial wind to work out who would score more than 1 goal in those 6 games
IanC

To say he is out of his depth is ridiculous,if he was we would already be back in the conf or on our way.Would ya say tranny manager is out of his depth,course not.He's an experienced manager whos gone to a big club on hard times and he's struggling to make an impact.Wayne is still learning is trade and as already said weve had some gems and weve had some flops just like every manager this club has had.Its always gonna be a massive juggling act with budgets etc,yes he's made mistakes and god knows some of the substitutions made!But we have also played some cracking stuff this season as well,and if he keeps us up which he will,then he has done is job cos that was hus remit.This guy has worked his socks off since he as been at this club,the work he did in our accademies too.There are bigger older and more experienced managers around us and below us in the table,you bet he deserves another go.Whilst we have backed our manager clubs in this league are on 2nd or 3rd and even more than that in managers,so well done our club.He certainly deserves another go for me.
Mike the Dagger

Does he need a lift?
Alan

Lcbdagger wrote:Agree on Saah but let's remember we have struck lucky with Ayo... this wasn't a guaranteed success coming in to the team, this was a young lad with very little experience who has proven to be largely rock solid. The goals conceded ratio is largely down to having a top notch replacement for Saah rather than him just being dropped.
But the reason that there was no replacement is because he sold Wilkinson, leaving Gayle and Partridge as cover for a defender who was pretty poor last season.
dagger4eva

Im sure Wilkinson asked to be transfer listed because he 'wanted a new challenge' .....

Along with the Jodi Jones rumour I mentioned the other day, there was also another that WB was on the verge of being offered a new contract.
Whether or not he accepts it is another thing but I think the club are very keen to keep hold of him now!

Did he deserve every bit of flak he received up til the end of 2014 ... ?? Absolutely, 100% - and as he said himself several times "the buck stopped with him".

Does he deserve a new contract now ... ?? I think its hard to argue that he doesnt given the quite miraculous turnaround.

There does seem to be a big, general disconnect between him and the fans now though and I have a sneaky feeling that everything that went on and was said in the 1st half of the season may be the deciding factor in him looking to manage elsewhere.
shoreyda2nd

dagger4eva wrote:Im sure Wilkinson asked to be transfer listed because he 'wanted a new challenge' .....
Also let's not forget that Wilkinson was shocking whenever he played last season. He wanted to leave and was proving to be no use whatsoever. Can't go blaming Wayne for that one!
bloke down the pub

Dose he want a lift ? Anytime WB.
Alan

Wilko wasn't great when asked to play with that injury, a agree. But he was under contract, as was Brian.

Brian missed 5 games last season and we lost only 1 of them, drew 2 and won 2.

This season of the 15 games he has missed we have won 7, drawn 4 and lost 4. This season in the 26 he has played in, we won 6, drew 5 and lost a whopping 15. Across a 46 game season those rates of wins/draws would produce 76.66 points without him, 40.69 points with.
ARNU

One of WB's biggest areas of weakness is that he holds a grudge.I bet he will never forgive us for giving him all that stick.You all heard it in his whinging in those interviews.There is a disconnect and although we are all happy to see him pull through his difficult period I think he takes criticism badly and probably wants to finish where we are now at least and then ride off into the sunset not giving a toss what happens to us next year.If he wanted to maintain a career in football management he had no choice but to sort it out.Fair play,it seems he has but I think we've terminally upset the fella.He don't like us and we are quite indifferent to him.What did he want us to do though ?? Ignore the bad times I suppose.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

WB staying? Is there better than him out there? probably, will they come and manage us? probably not. The board have a big decision now, probably the biggest one they have ever had. They need to look at the whole tenure not just the last 3 months.

Pro's and Cons of it all are interesting, I agree with the coaching methods but feel there is no plan b at times. If I was on the board I would probably vote to extend it for a year at the end of the season if we finish where we are. Everyone talks up the 9th place finish but its all about progress and there has not been any this season if you are judging it on the last one. Tough decision.

He should realise the critics were right and that he should have just got his head down and got on with it but that's not his style he is a passionate man and finds it hard to control his emotions under what must have been a tough time mentally for him. Do I agree with everything he has done? no but that's football all over. Would I buy him a beer if I see him in the bar yes of course, he is putting food on the table for his family he is no Wenger or Ferguson. We need to get that bond back and that has now gone.

End of season presentation including playing staff would be a good start regardless of any outcome.
SUSSEX DAGGER

ARNU wrote:One of WB's biggest areas of weakness is that he holds a grudge.I bet he will never forgive us for giving him all that stick.You all heard it in his whinging in those interviews.There is a disconnect and although we are all happy to see him pull through his difficult period I think he takes criticism badly and probably wants to finish where we are now at least and then ride off into the sunset not giving a toss what happens to us next year.If he wanted to maintain a career in football management he had no choice but to sort it out.Fair play,it seems he has but I think we've terminally upset the fella.He don't like us and we are quite indifferent to him.What did he want us to do though ?? Ignore the bad times I suppose.
Perhaps he wanted to be given a break and that judgement is made over a season not even half.
Alan

But look at the whole of his tenure. The 2 month spell after Still left was shocking, culminating in us staying up on goal difference. Aside from about 3 months after Zavon joined, last season was abject - 1 home win between 1 January and the end of the season and that was via a fluke goal. The first 4 moths of this season were terrible. So he looking at his whole tenure, he has had 2 good spells of about 3 months each, whilst the rest has been crap.
ARNU

They come they go.

There will be a queue a mile long for the job.Nobody is indespensible.Give Darren Currie a go.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !