The Lap Of Honour

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

So it is something we have been famed for over the Years, mainly since Eve Stevans bought it to everyones attention. The famous Daggers lap of honour.

No matter what the score, the players and fans showed their link to one another at the end of the game by taking part in this. It used to form part of the warm down in some ways, but it was done with some real feeling for the most part.

Now I know there was some chat on here earlier in the Year about this wasn't being done as much or in same way, but I only really noticed it on Saturday (I missed the Exeter and Shrews games where it was mentioned before).

So it appeared that only Doey and Cousins really took part in this from the outset. They then appeared to be joined with applauding the fans by Obileye, Bouchard and Rhys. The others all slunk off.

Does this show that the old spirit has gone?? That the traditions and rituals which made our a club a bit "different" have vanished?? That the players don't like the lack of atmosphere and support?? Or that many of the fans are right in their views that this bunch of "never was" and "has beens" don't "get" the Dagenham spirit??

I have always thought of the whole thing as a bit cheesey in the past if I am honest, but when I noticed it didn't happen on Saturday, I did think maybe it is a sign of things having changed, maybe forever??

At least Stevie T carried out his lap of the ground during the first half!!!
Lcbdagger

Only person I saw go round on his lonesome was Cureton... strange not seeing it done, but then as I said on another thread, equally strange to hera us booing a 0-0 draw in the position we are when it's three consecutive clean sheets
steeevooo

I always saw it as a 2 way interaction - the players appreciating the fans for their commitment and support, and the fans appreciating the unwavering efforts of the players whatever the result. Several possibilities arise from this resulting in the absence of the lap, such as:

1. The players don't appreciate the fans
2. The players don't think they're getting enough support to warrant appreciation
3. The players haven't put in enough effort to warrant appreciation
4. The players don't give a toss as long as they're picking up their pay packet

One point I will make though is that Jamie Cureton is nearly always the first person to do a lap and applaud the fans.
DI Mike Dashwood

Fair play, I must have missed Cureton, apologies. So 6 out of 18 (13 of whom played). Not quite the same as it was!! Sad times.
Diggerthedog

Everything has changed now, this is not the same club it used to be. Perhaps we are better of back in the conference and we might see a bit more entertainment on the grass too.
dagger4eva

Stood out like a sore thumb for me too - particularly on Saturday.

Cousins, Cureton and Doe can categorically be excluded from any criticism as they always make the effort to show their appreciation. The rest of them... well, those that did EVENTUALLY skulk over blatantly couldn't be arsed too.

The old "link" between players & fans is certainly no-where near it used to be and for that, again, I have to look towards the manager.
This link has only really broken down since he took over and the dross our manager and his assistants have served up for us the last 2 and a bit years has to be the only reason why a) the atomsphere is so downbeat, negative, silent and frankly quite embarassing and b) the so called link isn't what it used to be.

On the flip side however - there are two other things that should also be considered here.

We have a supporters club who last year thought "it wasnt worth" arranging an end of season do / presentation. Surely 1 of only a handful, if not the ONLY club in the football league / non league game that couldnt be arsed to have one. What kind of message does that send out the players representing our club????

And also, when it comes to the players doing their lap of honour, I reckon 50-60% of the crowd have left the stadium anyway.... and that used to happen even when we were doing relatively well !!!

We have an MD who thinks everything is hunky dory.
We have a chairman who no-one knows what he thinks
We have a manager who said the buck stops with him and understands fans frustrations but then cant take it when he actually gets some stick.
We HAD an over-inflated backroom team but by all accounts Leon the fitness bloke, Dalton Grant (who?) and Gary the kitman have all been recently bombed out.

Isn't it fun being a Dagenham & Redbridge fan right now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lcbdagger

When did all the back room team go? Not off to Luton are they?
DI Mike Dashwood

I did notice the fella doing the warm ups had changed?? Anyone know the reason behind this?? And Dalton's name is not on the list of staff on the inside cover of the prog now. Again, anyone know if and why this has changed??
Chigwellian

Whether the players are disappointed with the lack of party organised by the supporters club is neither here nor there. We pay for their services for giving us entertainment by paying for our entry into the ground.

They have no say whatsoever whether the supporters club arranges a party..., and to be arrogant enough as some of you are saying, that this could be the reason for not applauding the fans, when we are helping to pay their wages is sheer lunacy.

If that is the case, then we need to 'be a dagger' philosophy back into the club, and the onus must rest with the management.

i would put into place immediatley, that players must go around and acknowledge the support (whether or not they think the support was good enough).

i also question the slinking off of our manager after games such as Luton.... disgusting!!

BUT, if the management questions the support of supporters after spending a good £100 on getting to Southport on a Tuesday night, then something is seriously wrong with the club/fan relationship
dagger4eva

No, you may have missed my point. I was trying to say that things like that don't help the situation that's all.

Even cynical old me would find it impossible to believe a set of players actually 'have the hump' and resent not having an end of season presentation.

But again... not having one doesn't exactly show the players the fans give a flying ****** does it...
ARNU

Not defending it but how many times have we left the ground without so much as clapping,even giving them a boo ??.Granted if they've been shite like most of this season at home I wouldn't expect them to do a lap,just asking for abuse innit.They did quite well I thought Saturday and deserved a clap and a cheer.Maybe they've got used to our apathy.Certainly Doey,Cousins and Cureton did the lap and one or two others ventured halfway towards the Bury Road end.Its not totally dead yet.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
leewilson

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:I did notice the fella doing the warm ups had changed?? Anyone know the reason behind this?? And Dalton's name is not on the list of staff on the inside cover of the prog now. Again, anyone know if and why this has changed??
I do love our little pre match warm up when the players are getting ready to kick off.

Small blonde guy bounces around and pretends to throw the ball as players run away and then come back. Guy then proceeds to once again pretend to throw the ball. Players run away and then come back.

It's a thing of genius........

I could understand the quick steps in and out of cones on the touchline to warm the legs up with quick bursts. I'm not sure what running back and forth to a cone with a guy 'pretending' to throw a ball does. Surely the players are capable of going on a 10 yard jog without a guy in a coaching jacket pretending to throw a ball at them?

I'm feeling petty today.
dagger4eva

Im feeling petty today too and im pretty sure said man (on saturday at least) actually bounced the ball as a prompt for the players to turm away and run.

it is total cringe regardless though :)
leewilson

Revolutionary!
Auntie Merge

We HAD an over-inflated backroom team but by all accounts Leon the fitness bloke, Dalton Grant (who?) and Gary the kitman have all been recently bombed out.
@Dagger4Eva
Has Gary the kitman been 'bombed out'? Who is doing the kit now?