Let's not get too carried away

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Don’t get me wrong – 4 points from the last 2 games were MORE than needed and welcome but I’m yet to be convinced we have a) really turned a corner and b) we have the management team in place to get us out the shit come May.
The last two games have certainly shown the players are playing for the manager and have played with a lot more heart than they showed at the Stevenage game for example BUT had it not been for some fantastic goalkeeping by Cousins vs Southend we’d of been done again by 10 men and a mixture of woeful finishing, heroic defending, the wood-work twice and a shocking penalty decision (in our favour for a change) saved us from an absolute battering on Saturday!

There is still something majorly wrong as has been pointed out already, the atmosphere at the games is thoroughly depressing. Maybe a few more positive results and there will be a bit of a decent buzz about the place once again. The return of Zavon Hines will be a welcome one but I don’t think anyone should be expecting much from him immediately.

Thought the whole situation regarding the banner / dirty pillow case was embarrassing, if it’s going to be done – at least do it properly.
The reasons for it being confiscated were a joke too. Ok, it was covering a miniscule part of an advertising board but then apparently it would have been a “health and safety issue” if said pillow case was to be held up above the head of whoever brought it in. Freedom of speech gone mad imo!!

Something else which stood out to me after watching the replay….
From the moment Murphy scores it takes a good 15 or so seconds for Murphy to reach the dugouts. All of the bench were up and celebrating but if you look closely Burnett remains seated. He only gets up once Murphy arrives for a bit of man love.
I thought it was a really sad sight tbh BUT as I say above, I think it does show that he does still have the backing of the players.

I had a feeling we would win Saturday because like the Carlisle game it was a win or go situation I think. If we have turned the corner and go on to be safe and finish 9th or wherever again, then great and Wayne can rightly shove it back down the throat of everyone who criticised him.
I expect however that Saturday’s valuable win has done nothing more than to postpone the inevitable & still do more damage than good.

Time will tell hey !!!
Mike the Dagger

Spot on TBH.

It was kids for a quid again on Saturday and we still got under 2,000 in and the atmosphere was dire even when we went ahaead. I saw a guy with the drum before the game but don't think I heard it at all during the game. If you aren't going to use it you may as well leave it at home matey.

I think a majority of our fans have now had enough of it after the dire perfomances of the last year and a half and are waiting for a change or at least some kind of signal from the powers that be that they at least have heard us and have some kind of plan other than the daft abuse of anyone that raises an opinion against the current regime. it may be that we can't afford to do anything, so tell us that, at least acknowledge the opinions of teh majority before you totally alienate the lot of us.

Great to have Rhys back on the score sheet, but a bit of a worry that Jamie has stopped scoring. He ought to have put the chance away late on Saturday really.

I'll be there Saturday, whatever.
Lcbdagger

It's been said to death now, but the recent activities at the club have shown that there is a 0% chance of the manager leaving before the Summer... the only issues now are a) do we stay up and b) does he get a new contract in the summer...

If a) is Yes and b) is No, I will make do with that... my big concerns are that a) turns out to be a No or (less importantly obviously) b) is a Yes after we go on a mini run post february and end up about 12th-15th with the Board coming out in May telling us what a wonderful job the manager has done
DaggerSince92

Agree with most things on this thread. The performance level was poor Saturday and we rode our luck.
However, it was a much needed 3 points, and winning does breed confidence. I would like to see minimal changes to the side for the Oxford game which would hopefully lead to us looking more of a team attacking.

Also, I've seen some unfair criticism of Labadie on here recently. Yes, he's probably not as good as Abu, but I firmly believe him and Bingham are our best midfield two at the moment. Boucaud does some excellent things, has quick feet, but can be sloppy in possession and lacks the workrate to play in a 4-4-2. Howell would replace Labadie if we was playing 3 in midfield potentially, but I feel may leave us exposed if he played next to Billy in midfield.
Dagger83

Lcbdagger wrote:It's been said to death now, but the recent activities at the club have shown that there is a 0% chance of the manager leaving before the Summer... the only issues now are a) do we stay up and b) does he get a new contract in the summer...

If a) is Yes and b) is No, I will make do with that... my big concerns are that a) turns out to be a No or (less importantly obviously) b) is a Yes after we go on a mini run post february and end up about 12th-15th with the Board coming out in May telling us what a wonderful job the manager has done
I was going to ask this question on here. If we have a great run in the second half and finish comfortably top half, would people forgive the crap we have endured and concede that Burnett may not be as bad as we think and agree to his contract being extended?

If no, how high would we have to finish to agree with a new contract?
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dagger4eva

IF he was able to turn complete & utter relegation fodder into 'comfortably top half' I guess he would probably be deserving of a short, maybe 1 year extension.

I would actually hazard a guess that he'd probably walk away than accept it anyway knowing how majority of fans currently feel towards him.

Anyway, for this to happen is a mammoth ask and we are long, long, long, long way from being comfortably anything, let alone top half ....
Dagger Steve

Dagger83 wrote:
I was going to ask this question on here. If we have a great run in the second half and finish comfortably top half, would people forgive the crap we have endured and concede that Burnett may not be as bad as we think and agree to his contract being extended?
If we have a promotion winning run 2nd part of the season, the polar opposite to the 1st half, then fair play can't really argue.

But we won't.

I personally thought Saturday was awful to watch. Think once we managed more then 5 passes in a row. Troubled their keeper once with Cureton's late chance?
Otherwise it was just long aimless balls and then deal with the pressure once it comes back, which we barely just about did.
I know that's the position we're in, and it's a results game for us now. I just couldn't understand why people were suggesting we had played much better then the Stevenage game.
If we had lost 1-0 Saturday, but put in the same performance, no one would be on here applauding the effort.

Nothing has changed for me. I'm still concerned.
ARNU

If he finishes mid table you cant really argue.Over the course of a season we'd have all taken a mid table finish.Whether Wayne or anyone else at the club has the real ambition to press on and get us up to league 1 again I really doubt.Yes they'd lioke to fluke it again but its nobodies ambition with league status the only goal.How do ya feel about that ??

You cant sack Wayne for a mid table finish again.You certainly should think about it if we finish 18th or below.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Dagger Steve

I wouldn't say that our last promotion was a fluke in the slightest.
admin
Site Admin

Dagger83 wrote:
Lcbdagger wrote:It's been said to death now, but the recent activities at the club have shown that there is a 0% chance of the manager leaving before the Summer... the only issues now are a) do we stay up and b) does he get a new contract in the summer...

If no, how high would we have to finish to agree with a new contract?
He's going to have to perform a miracle to convince me. You only have to look at the way we've played in Decemeber. We drew 1 game and lost the other 3 and fail to score. And the level of opponents wasn't exactly great either. We also went out the FA Cup to Southport, we should have been away to Derby yesterday quite frankly. Furthermore, how many home games have we won this season. It's simply not good enough, time for change I think.
ARNU

Dagger Steve wrote:I wouldn't say that our last promotion was a fluke in the slightest.
It was a bit.Finished 7th on the last day.With a goal from a bloke (monty) who couldn't get in the team most of the time.

What I meant by fluked was that the club had no intention of going up,even on the day I travelled to Wembley along with everyone else for a day out not expecting us to beat a team that'd comprehensively beaten us twice already that year.Now we more than deserved it after the Morecambe thrashing but it was a bonus as opposed to a club mission.Look at how feebly we spent to stay up once we got there.Should have bunged Benno a few quid top see that season out,we'd have stayed up.Instead we got to know the attributes of losers like phil ifil and baz Savage.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
leewilson

I don't think anybody is getting carried away. Mind you, it depends whether you look at our form as mini bursts of form or a longer picture. Our last 7 games have seen 3 wins, a draw and 3 defeats which is mid table form.

Mind you, before that our previous seven games saw 1 win, 2 draws and 4 defeats which is bottom few form. Let's hope the last seven games are a pattern that has coincided with Obileye arriving, Murphy returning and patching up the defence with an initial back 3 wing back system and now the dropping of Saah and playing the two best CBs we have. With Hines returning, perhaps the buzz will come back with it and we may win a few on the bounce and give ourselves some breathing space. I can't help but feel that the next 6-7 games are big as they're against sides around us.

Northampton away is a nailed on defeat mind.
Lcbdagger

Can only speak for myself but I wouldn't want a new contract for the Manager regardless of the results until the season's end... if we stay up great, if we do so comfortably then even better but this summer must be time for a change in management given the shocking Home form over the past twelve months and the FA Cup debacle... if he does stay I see season ticket take up dropping massively.

My worry has never been the fact we are struggling but the fact we are struggling with what appears to be a decent, lower to mid table squad for League Two. none of the players brought in looked worse than what we had last season (Hoyte arguably aside) and we should have been looking at last season's position as a starting point, not as a complete fluke that we had no chance of repeating.

Barring a Loanee defender coming in we would be three or four points away from escaping relegation in my opinion by now. Even when Rhys came back in to the squad we had Agyemang keeping him out of the team... nothing i've seen convinces me the manager will find a winning team by judgement rather than luck, despite two years here
Diggerthedog

ARNU wrote:
Dagger Steve wrote:I wouldn't say that our last promotion was a fluke in the slightest.
It was a bit.Finished 7th on the last day.With a goal from a bloke (monty) who couldn't get in the team most of the time.

What I meant by fluked was that the club had no intention of going up,even on the day I travelled to Wembley along with everyone else for a day out not expecting us to beat a team that'd comprehensively beaten us twice already that year.Now we more than deserved it after the Morecambe thrashing but it was a bonus as opposed to a club mission.Look at how feebly we spent to stay up once we got there.Should have bunged Benno a few quid top see that season out,we'd have stayed up.Instead we got to know the attributes of losers like phil ifil and baz Savage.
We beat Darlington to make the play offs Montgomery never scored. I would not call a fluke more a bonus.

We will never chuck money at anything unless we want to be Hereford and all those before them, there promotion to League one cost them everything.
Kevin

I was originally hopeful after the two wins against Carlisle & Bury away. The dirge produced in the Tranmere game really disappointed me - there lay a perfect chance to build some momentum and, instead, the team looked devoid of any inspiration or desire for the next few games.

Now we find ourselves with a couple of games unbeaten - albeit after the appalling Boxing Day no-show against Stevenage a week earlier.

Bury could've had around 9 or 10 goals on Saturday - thankfully a combination of some great last-ditch defending, fantastic goalkeeping and about 5 games worth of luck helped us get the result. That said, there was plenty of proper effort from the spine of the team - Cousins, Doe, Bingham, Murphy in particular - which I do think is the right place for us to start getting out of this mess.

So, although one swallow doesn't make a summer & all that, I'm hopeful we can kick on a little bit from here - will be interesting to see what sort of Daggers team turns up against Oxford.