Football heroes

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Watched and attended football all my life and have seen some of the greats over the last 40 odd years or so.Just a thread about your personal favourites from your childhood you've actually seen play really.We'd fight over being these guys in the playground when we played as kids in our school dinner breaks.

Malcolm Macdonald,Liam Brady,Stan Bowles,Trevor Brooking,Brian Pop Robson(The West ham and Sunderland hero)Alan Hudson,Pat Holland,Keegan,Dalgleish,Tony Curry(Darrens uncle),Steve Heighway,Charlie George,Rodney Marsh,Georgie Best(see them both play for Fulham)Colin Bell,funnily enough Peter Taylor in his Palace days,Peter lorimer and Alan Clarke,Joe Jordan,Gerry Francis,Paul Mariner and Trevor Whymark both Ipswich town hero's.I used to manage a store where Trevor Whymark used to be one of my suppliers of Chickens in later life..great bloke,used to tell me stories about when he played for England(just once) and scored that hat trick v Norwich for Ipswich(his greatest football memory as well as playing in America with the likes of Rudi Krol etc).

Seen many many more recent players probably better than all those above but these guys were some of my greats.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

Space,bar,broken.
BB-Dagger

As a kid (many years ago) I was obsessed with George Best, it got th the stage that every time Man U come to London my dad took me to wherever the game was, arsenal.. Spurs, West Ham,Fulham, in my young mind he was the greatest! When he played at Fulham with Rodney Marsh I went to watch most home games.
Like most geniuses he was flawed, wine women and fast cars... Lucky bugger.
easthamdagger

I followed QPR for over 40 years and saw some superb players from other teams, eg Charlton,Best,Bergkamp,Greaves etc.But the best player i ever saw was Rodney Marsh.It may be that as i saw him each week my pick may be blinkered.Stan Bowles was just behind but was a better team player.Les Ferdinand was the best header of a ball,i never understood how he could hang in the air for so long.
When my dad and I started at the daggers we liked Chris Moore and Jon Nurse but by far the best dagger was CMS.Now its probably Abu who always tries 100 per cent.
Mark

Seen play live probably Tony Adams.
Dagdale

Nearly knocking on the 60 mark I'd say I've been a bit lucky to see many really classy players especially when players were a lot tougher and didn't fall down like a wimp, and the old 1st Division was gifted with so many great English/rest of UK born players especially lads bought up from East of the river. Being ex Chelsea Venners, Dave Webb and Chopper Harris and then the two jocks Charlie Cooke and Eddie McCreadie were a force to reckon with, especially many battles with Leeds, but my favourite was Peter Osgood without doubt and never forget that diving header Old Trafford Cup Final 70 especially the way he celebrated in front of us in the Stretford end, why don't players celebrate like that anymore? But my non team players has, like mentioned previous got to be Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles absolutely wore the Blue & white hoops in the heart and Loftus Road was a great ground in them days for atmosphere in 'the West London derby', and absolutely loved Bonzo for his outstanding loyalty and play for the Hammers, true legend. Funny enough on the day he lost his job, thought Peter Taylor was a top man for the Eagles and proven goalscorer.
Ilford Dagger

Continuing the Chelsea theme as a lifelong CFC fan as well as D&R, I loved watching Ossie in his prime, Dave Webb was a great terrace hero,Chopper of course,latterly Gianfranco Zola; from other Clubs - Bobby Moore, Brooking,Frank Worthington,Tony Currie,Eddie Gray (probably the only Leeds player I have ever liked!!).
IanC

Loved watching Liam Brady and never ever thought I would see a better player,wow then along along came the ice man.Quite simply the best player I have and prob ever will see in the flesh.Was there at Highbury when he smacked in his first two goals for the Arse,from then on in for club and country simply breathtaking.
hockley dagger

Dave hogan is my footbal hero as he ate qll the pies and made about 3 apperances ( 5-0 loss to Cheltenham is brought to mind) and being a poor mans robbo being a fat dancing lad
Crushed Dreams

Before I started my Saturday job in 1968, I used to watch Romford play at Brooklands as it was only a short walk from home. Ray Aggio was my hero back then.
http://www.wolvesheroes.com/2012/02/03/ ... ffed-out/

Went to the QPR WBA League Cup Final and Rodney Marsh was an exceptional talent but probably not a team player.

Since then, I guess Colin Bell would have been about my all time favourite player.

At D&R, probably still Steve Heffer although a number of others could be named.
Dr Monkatron

I first went West Ham when I was 8 and my instant hero was Trevor Brooking. But away from him the best team I saw live was the Liverpool team of the 80's. Hard to pinpoint any player in particular as they got it perfect as a squad. Used to also love watching Glenn Hoodle play.

For Dagenham I loved Paul Goyette, Les Whitten and the steward in the car park that was always drunk. For D&R my favourites were Paul Cavell, Mark Janney & Mark Stein.
Richie

IanC wrote:Loved watching Liam Brady and never ever thought I would see a better player,wow then along along came the ice man.Quite simply the best player I have and prob ever will see in the flesh.Was there at Highbury when he smacked in his first two goals for the Arse,from then on in for club and country simply breathtaking.
The ice man?
Dagdale

Dennis Bergkamp (Ice man)
Richie

Dagdale wrote:Dennis Bergkamp (Ice man)
Got ya!
AVincelotFlyingLeap

My age it was Thierry Henry, Becks, Michael Owen and Ronaldo when he used to score all those headers for Real Madrid and Brazil