O/T - The world we live in

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Earlier today, Nick tweeted a link to a call made my a very distressed chap into LBC, highlighting his plight, how things were so bad that some times he had to scavange through bins just to get some food inside him and all the poor fella wanted, all he was desperate for was a break and a job and a chance to earn a living again for himself.

He then came back onto the show earlier today and its safe to say that fingers crossed, his chances of getting his wishes made true are now thankfully looking a lot brighter.

Its been going over and over in my mind the last couple of hours and certainly opened my eyes a little just to how bad some genuine, very well intentioned people's lives must be and to think about what I can do at either making a small personal gesture or perhaps organising something on a slightly bigger scale between us Daggers fans & our club towards one or a few local food banks.

If you havent heard the calls already, take a listen. Get the kleenex ready, its painful listening.

http://audioboom.com/boos/2713731-such- ... oor-to-eat

http://audioboom.com/boos/2716995-the-m ... ce=twitter
Diggerthedog

That's the problem with this Country, unless you are a woman or foreigner with ten kids you are entitled to nothing. I'm not a racist just a realist. This bloke was made redundant and is entitled to just JSA not a penny more. I was made redundant a couple of years back and went to the job centre to sign on to keep paying stamp and was told I have too much in savings to claim. Country is seriously in need of change, let's see what farrage can do as the others are not upto much and it can't get any worse for chaps like this.
bloke down the pub

You get what YOU vote for !
bearaab

Unless the person you vote for doesn't win or you don't vote.
Mikins

Just sat and listened to both interviews in my lunch break, I am by nature a cynical and sarcastic sod but I really felt for that guy, especially his utter refusal to take any charity or donations.

Makes me realise how lucky I have it. Even prompted me to put my hand in my pocket and make a few extra donations. I'll hardly miss it. Cheers for sticking that one up dagger4eva
Sorry about your damn luck!
ARNU

Very sad.Very moving.The guys obviously having a shit time.He needs help.Nuff said....

Question.....Why don't he wash a few cars ? Outlay about £5 for a bucket and a sponge if he aint already got one.

Now before you all go mental...If you are able to lose all dignity crying on a radio program then surely you could knock a few doors and wash a car or two.Oh and also...I ****** done it myself when times were tough and it does work.You go out at 10.00am knock on a hundred doors,someone, ahandfull at least will let you do there car for a tenner,fiver whatever.Yes it aint a real job but it will stick food on the table tonight.

I truly wish him luck and hope he finds work (It looks like he will)but you can get a few quid together legally if you put your mind to it.

(On a lighter note,we need a left back if he fancies a go)
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
dagger4eva

http://audioboom.com/boos/2719862-the-m ... job-chance

Latest update, as above, and glad to hear he has an interview.

Mikins, im as cynical as they come too but this story / situation really got to me bad.

Arnu, what you say makes perfect sense, i've always grafted since I was young and in fact between the ages of about 13-16 built up quite big & regular round of cars to wash every Sunday down my street, and I've always believed that anyone REALLY WANTING to find work can do so... or at least should be able to!

The thing about this story is that the poor sod really wanted some proper work but just couldnt get any, it's simply as black and white as that. In his 1st interview he does say he helps some stall holders at the market sweep up and put their stalls up and away just to give him a couple of quid.

My fear is this case is very much just the tip of the iceberg. Sure there are numerous other people in the same situation, feeling equally helpless.

Foodbanks should only be a stop gap, altho a vital one nonetheless... do your bit people. Go out and buy some cans or packets of food and donate them to your nearest bank.

http://www.trusselltrust.org/map

It's not going to change lives but could and infact will help people like Mike get some food in their bellies!

Apologies by the way for raising this under the footy section of the forum
ARNU

Another thing I did...I bought a small van(Ok you need some money to start off)and banged out a few leaflets "Man with a van and Rubbish clearance".I used to drive round and try and find front gardens full of shit ,I've lived in Dagenham,Harold hill,Hornchurch etc and believe me you don't have to drive far,Id then knock on the door and ask if they wanted their rubbish cleared £25 a van load.Honestly I reckon as much as 50 % said yeah.Sometimes there'd be 4 or 5 van loads of cack to get rid of from 1 house and I could sell all the salvageable stuff to 2nd hand shops.Id also get offers to do removals.Once moved a family from Aveley to Ripon up north for £1500.Cost me £400 at the time,£250 to hire and fuel a luton van with a lift and payed a doorman bloke I know £150 to help me carry all the gear and made £1100.Big geezer did all the heavy stuff on his own LOL!!

2 simple things just requiring a bit of leg work,salesmanship and the desire to put food on the table.
dagger4eva

Another decent idea except in today's day & age the counrty is rife (excuse the NON P.C. terminology) with pikeys and/or Eastern European white van drivers that trawl the streets 24/7 looking for any rubbish and scrap they can lay their hands on.

A few times in the last couple of years I've wanted rid of some larger items. Left them outside the front by my alleyway and within a couple of hours or so - voila - they have gone!
rechitski kinzhal

Slightly off topic, but what is the consensus on James O'Brien - if you listen to LBC regularly, what do you think?
For me, he is the vilest and most unpleasant presenter on the radio, a total bully and only gets the gig because so many LBC presenters are right of centre and they need a "leftie" to give some balance. He is not as smart as he thinks he is, but he certainly does his assassination very well of whoever he pleases, whether it be a politician or a first time caller member of the public. I have no problem with "lefties" .... and certainly not with the other "leftie" on LBC, Ken Livinston. But his smugness makes me furious (.... and so the managers at LBC are happy that he is doing the job!)
He certainly has skill in getting people on the back foot, usually (in my opinion) by totally misinterpreting facts and statistics, and ignoring or belittling any answers that don't fit his narrative. To bully an MP is probably fair game, but not people who phone in a radio show and are not too eloquent when it comes to getting their point across. Very unpleasant.
But I suppose those of you on the right politically will think differently to those on the left. Just wondering.
ARNU

rechitski kinzhal wrote:Slightly off topic, but what is the consensus on James O'Brien - if you listen to LBC regularly, what do you think?
For me, he is the vilest and most unpleasant presenter on the radio, a total bully and only gets the gig because so many LBC presenters are right of centre and they need a "leftie" to give some balance. He is not as smart as he thinks he is, but he certainly does his assassination very well of whoever he pleases, whether it be a politician or a first time caller member of the public. I have no problem with "lefties" .... and certainly not with the other "leftie" on LBC, Ken Livinston. But his smugness makes me furious (.... and so the managers at LBC are happy that he is doing the job!)
He certainly has skill in getting people on the back foot, usually (in my opinion) by totally misinterpreting facts and statistics, and ignoring or belittling any answers that don't fit his narrative. To bully an MP is probably fair game, but not people who phone in a radio show and are not too eloquent when it comes to getting their point across. Very unpleasant.
But I suppose those of you on the right politically will think differently to those on the left. Just wondering.
I rang him once and he tied me in a knot on air with his dextrous vocabulary.However I didnt lose the overall argument and left him having to concede I had a point at least.I do like him but as you say he does rather steamroller some people rather cruelly.You'd think he was classic case of somebody who probably sat quietly in the corner at school in case some of the thicker kids gave him a good kicking.However,privately educated it turns out he was actually expelled a number of times and was a bit of a rogue.I think he probably has a good heart and does give MPs a run for their money but you just cant move him on his lefty views on immigration.He is clever enough to understand the feelings of a fair few and many of his arguments do statistically make overwhelming sense on this subject.However he fails to get this across and loses his argument with his bullying tactics.He is one of those blokes that you'd be inclined to do whatever was opposite to his thoughts just to spite him.
bloke down the pub

bearaab wrote:Unless the person you vote for doesn't win or you don't vote.

Or you vote for someone else !
SUSSEX DAGGER

And to think D4E you wanted to chuck our Manager on the dole not so long a go.

Sad to listen to such a story and I hope the bloke gets a bit of luck soon. We can all help by chucking out the bastards that caused this mess.

The even more sadder side to this is for every adult being fed out of a food bank there is twice the amount of innocent kids suffering the same fate,innocent Children.

Good to see that we at least have a couple of lefties occupying Lambeth Palace and The Vatican at the moment and unlike predecessor do not appear scared to hold the establishment to account.
ARNU

If you really want to wind yourself up read "Chavs" by owen Jones.Im halfway thru his other book "Establishment" at the moment.yeah hes a staunch lefty but nobody comes out of it with any flying colours.You'll be left in a rather annoyed,apathetic frame of mind Im sure.They are all at it,the load of em rotten to the core.