Ashley Chambers

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DaggerSince92

Brilliant performance from Ashley yesterday, bit of a shame he didn't step up for the penalty to score his hattrick. This is a lad I've always rated, it's clear he's got talent. Hopefully now he can nail down this position in behind two strikers. He plays much better there because he's rushed more into making a decision, whereas on the wing he often went past a player and held onto the ball for too long. Also an honourable mention to Ashley Hemmings who suits the wing back position down to the ground with his great energy.
Richie

DaggerSince92 wrote:Brilliant performance from Ashley yesterday, bit of a shame he didn't step up for the penalty to score his hattrick. This is a lad I've always rated, it's clear he's got talent. Hopefully now he can nail down this position in behind two strikers. He plays much better there because he's rushed more into making a decision, whereas on the wing he often went past a player and held onto the ball for too long. Also an honourable mention to Ashley Hemmings who suits the wing back position down to the ground with his great energy.
Not sure I agree. I don't want to add a negative after a good win but I don't think he offers enough, two goals but he couldn't miss them really. As I've said elsewhere I'd like to see Labadie moved forward into that role eventually but more than happy to give Ash a few games there in a row for now and see.
Mikins

Can't understand why anyone would want Labadieahead of Chambers ppersonally, chambers has always struck me as a lot slower and far less inclined to chase the game than Chambers.

And he could have missed both goals and for this I shall day "Marvin Morgan" and "John Akinde" as evidence.
Sorry about your damn luck!
leewilson

I'm with DaggerSince92 here. It couldn't have been more underwhelming when he signed in the summer after his loan spell last year. However, for the first 10 games or so, he was very good in the central role behind the striker. He's very good at finding space in the hole and is good at driving forward with the ball at his feet. My one criticism of him normally is that he is ponderous when he gets to the edge of the box. However, in more recent games he's been pushed back out wide and that's where he underwhelms me. He isn't a winger. People forget that he started off his career as a striker and was more adapted into a winger. I don't think he does enough out there and puts enough good balls into the box. I like it when he drives at players centrally as it gives the defence a real dilemma and allows the strikers to find little pockets of space with the runs they are making. He's got a fair few assists this season as well. Like I said yesterday, I hope we continue with this system and keep Chambers in the hole.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Really thought Tuesday night that he was just not up to it as a winger, left Southport thinking he will not come up against an easier full back and despite on a number of occasions going by his man the final ball was pretty dreadful. If we are going to continue with this formation this is one area that needs attention.

After watching him yesterday I left thinking we have another Medy, here he looks far more combatable in the role he played yesterday and its not the first time he has either.

Medy use to frustrate me as a winger and pinned for him to take a more central role,occasionally he was asked to do this job mostly away from home remembering four occasions him being asked to do it and on four occasions we won.

Really do think after yesterday that this has to be his role and my opinion of us needing a winger after Southport remains.
ARNU

I like the guy.He puts in a good shift and has goals in him.Like Ive said all along,we do have a good squad of players,I still think they aren't being coached/used to their full potential.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

I said since pre-season I want to see him in that position, he's a lot more effective there than on the wing. He does a lot of running on the wing but has no end product, behind the striker he runs at the defence and causes real problems, especially when the likes of Curo, Ade or Rhys are on the shoulder waiting for a ball through. And it's alright saying he couldn't miss for his 2 goals, but he had to be in the position to score them.. He was a good link between midfield and strikers and the passing was nice and fast, he was involved in a lot of it. Like the fact Curo and Ade split to run in either channel, dragging their defender out. It's alright for Chambers to play on the wing if we're going straight 4-4-2/4-5-1 and we're winning a game, his defensive work could be vital in those situations, but unless we're playing the formation of yesterday, he starts on the bench for me.
Don Beech 3

Chambers did well yesterday. Keep him away from the wing where he is useless (although not the worst in this club) and lets hope he keeps popping up in the right spot at the right time. Certainly got something to build on there. Strangely enough I would of had Yusuff as MOM as he did so much for the side up top but its a nice issue to have that there were a few who could have got it.
The Romford Dagger

For the goal that put us 2-1 up, I wonder how many yards he ran to get his goal.

It's no coincidence that he pops up in them areas. Him and ade are the strongest assets for us at running one on one at a defender for me.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Before I left (only saw the first 3 or 4 games) he was the best player, played well in the 6-6 and looked lively throughout. Sad to see he had dropped off a little but good to see him back to form.

On FM his best position is a striker, would you agree?
matt_drfc

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote:Before I left (only saw the first 3 or 4 games) he was the best player, played well in the 6-6 and looked lively throughout. Sad to see he had dropped off a little but good to see him back to form.

On FM his best position is a striker, would you agree?
Behind the striker(s), number 10 role. Frankie Raymond is apparently a left-back on FM lol
Adrian

For me you can't fault Chambers work rate, but he's a little lacking in end product far too often.
Twice on Saturday he was in good positions to find somone but failed, including pretty much passing the ball to their keeper. He can be a bit "head down" when running with the ball as well some times.

He isn't a striker and isn't good enough as a winger. The position on Saturday seemed to suit him, so I suppose it depends if we can play that role on a regular basis.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Interesting. York away a few years ago (the one where wilkinson scored twice) he scored 2 from the left wing, thought he was cracking and was glad when he signed him. I agree he's strong as a number 10 but maybe in a 4-4-1-1 where he's got a bit more room to manoeuvre, not sure though. If he worked on his crossing he'd be a much more consistent winger, which seems to be where he keeps ending up. IMO his best position is on the left of a 4-3-3, where he can cut inside and run at people. I like him a lot though, he seems to be versatile and up for playing anywhere, also on his day he's really exciting to watch as a fan as he runs at players and is generally very attacking.

Also on FM his best role is 'Defensive Forward' - which is nonsense, he'd be a Deep Lying or Complete Forward in my eyes. I think they just give 'Defensive Forward' to strikers with terrible goal records though!
leewilson

Adrian wrote:For me you can't fault Chambers work rate, but he's a little lacking in end product far too often.
Twice on Saturday he was in good positions to find somone but failed, including pretty much passing the ball to their keeper. He can be a bit "head down" when running with the ball as well some times.

He isn't a striker and isn't good enough as a winger. The position on Saturday seemed to suit him, so I suppose it depends if we can play that role on a regular basis.
If he was more consistent with his end product, he would probably be playing at a higher level as he gets in good positions often enough. All players at this level have deficiencies, it's about finding the position that we get the most out of him. I think it's pretty clear from this season so far that he's been far more effective when playing centrally behind a striker or two as his direct running causes problems. Out wide, he doesn't have a good enough cross/trickery to be a real problem consistently.
Adrian

I'd say his end product is consistent. It's consistently poor.