The Spirit and Buzz Has Gone

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

Adrian wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote: I will leave the mountains to you cowboy. Yeee haaaa :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh good, you've decided to go back to non sensical crap.
Last edited by Diggerthedog on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DI Mike Dashwood

Oh dear, please lets not have this thread go the same way of many others.

There had to this point been some interesting responses and points raised.
Adrian

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:Oh dear, please lets not have this thread go the same way of many others.

It had indeed. Why there was any need to bring up the childish cowboy thing is beyond me.
Richie

Mike the Dagger wrote:
NickMurphy wrote:Sort of skipped over this thread in the last week, but since I started coming 7 years ago, I've felt my anticipation for a Saturday home game in particular completely drop. Probably partly due to our wretched home form which has been shocking for over a year, and partly due to losing that buzz as you grow up as well I suppose - but also a lot due to some of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I feel like I enjoy the company more than I enjoy the game most weeks now, which is really shit because when we lose, it hits me just as hard if not harder. Having moved to Norwich for Uni, I haven't really found myself missing home games at all, not at least like I thought I would. And even when I do get along, or did at the start of the season, you don't feel that connection with the players any more like you're all in together. You don't feel as though it hurts them just as much as it hurts you - which isn't a criticism of the players really as I'm sure it does hurt them after a defeat, but it's just how I feel about it all. Abu and Doey are the only two I'd call Daggers anymore (Possibly Howell and Murphy), and I'll be gutted if/when they leave at the end of the season because that's the core from the very good times gone.
A wise man once said "To be a Dagger is something special, it means you have something about you. Not just ability, you have got to have something that makes you want to work hard and fulfil your potential. Daggers never give up, never stop.".... then he naffed off to Luton :(
Scott Griffiths always struck me a wise chap.....

But as for this thread I tend to side with the "Back the Board" camp, I personally don't think the people upstairs are the issue. I have no stats to back it up but this squad must be the best paid we've ever had? Even in our L1 season we didn't have as many proven Football League players in the side. The likes of Labadie, Boucard, Hemmings, Cureton and even Porter won't be playing for nothing, and that's before we get to Batt who is rumored to be the highest paid player on the books. So I don't think you can say they're happy to coast along at the bottom of L2. If they were doing that we'd surely have a team full of Loan Players from Charlton etc.

The results must be getting to the board too, hence the outburst from Tommo. As has been said they are fans of the club and care just as much as us, if not more.
matt_drfc

Porter is on peanuts by the way, only reason he will leave at the end of his contract is if someone else wants him, if not he'll stay, for peanuts.
DI Mike Dashwood

So is part of the problem the wages or backgrounds of the players??

I don't know where all the current lot live or were brought up, but I know in the past we often had a core of players who were from the area or who lived in the area.

And this is not just going back to the Conference days where players are naturally more likely to play for local clubs if they are semi pro??

Scotty G was a Furrock boy I believe, while Paul Benson was from Saaarfend?? Dave Rainford was certainly a local lad, while Mark Arber's family were from the Barking area I believe. Harlee Dean (not that he played much) was schooled in Upminster, while the great Tarkan Mustafa lived out Wickford way. And back in the Conference days a lot of the lads were East London or Essex based including Ash, Matthers, Gooders, Coley, PT, Cobby, Danny Hazledeyne (spelling) and Matt Jones. Now I am not saying someones address will immediately be the answer as to whether they will do well for us or not. John Nurse for instance is a cult hero to many (including myself) and CMS was from the Luton area I believe, so there are no hard or fast rules here, but does having a local core of players make a difference??

Or does the managers background make a difference here?? The three most succesful managers for us have been Sir Ted, Garry Hill and Stilly (not sure anyone can argue with that). All have their roots in Essex and/or East London, and all have served their time in non league football and worked their way up from the bottom. Does this make a difference, and is this something the Club should look at when they make their next appointment (which could be 10 days or 10 years time).
dagger4eva

As a general rule, our previous players have mostly tended to be a set of rough diamonds with something to prove, and more importantly, they knew it!

Quite obviously, the majority of players in the current squad are FAR from being the finished article BUT they perhaps have the mentality that they are better than they actually are and so a swift John Still style team talk (per the you tube clip) and a few kicks up bottoms may be the only way of getting into these players heads and letting them know that it’s either buck up or fcuk off time!

Considering we have a man in charge whos only real public flogging of his team came following a 2-0 WIN ... tells me we probably havent got the manager required to fulfil the above
matt_drfc

It seems that Wycombe game on the 30th November was the turning point.. Up until and including that game we had won 7 drawn 2 and lost 1 of our first 10 home games (league & cup) last season, the performances were exciting and we seemed to be going places..

Since that game we have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 15 of the following 24 home games (league & cup)
Mike the Dagger

matt_drfc wrote:It seems that Wycombe game on the 30th November was the turning point.. Up until and including that game we had won 7 drawn 2 and lost 1 of our first 10 home games (league & cup) last season, the performances were exciting and we seemed to be going places..

Since that game we have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 15 of the following 24 home games (league & cup)
That'll be the one when Wayne ripped into the team on BBC London afterwards for no reason anyone could understand after a pretty comfortable 2-0 home win over a team with ten men, right?

From the BBC report "The win means Dagenham have still only lost once at home this season...."

Since then we have played 22, won 4, drawn 5 and lost 13 at home in the League.

Hmmm!
dagger4eva

It was comfortable but funny enough we struggled tosome extent that day too, well, more a case of struggled to break the wycombe 10 men down.

Would have taken another "pathetic" performance saturday just gone ....
Lcbdagger

But surely playing against ten men would have only made the game harder by Wayne logic?
SUSSEX DAGGER

Adrian wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:All this Thommo is a dagger and let him off for saying what he did is nieve, had it been me I would never return to the club until he was long gone. He is paid to do what he does and must remain professional at all time regardless. If I called one of my clients a wanker I would have my P45 and be down the job centre before I knew it.

I think Arnu is right in some ways by saying the board are not upto it and have no balls to deal with the matter at hand when everything is falling apart around them.

Thanks for the first few months of last season Wayne but the year since has been abysmal time to move on, fresh start is needed for all before its too late.
Yet the person that was apparently on the end of this doesn't seem to be quite so concerned.

It feels like you and others are trying to make a mountain out of someone else's molehill.
We'll it's not D4E making his anger known on another platform.
Masked Man

Lcbdagger wrote:But surely playing against ten men would have only made the game harder by Wayne logic?
Why don't we get two or three players sent off every match then? We'd be top of the table!! :lol:
Diggerthedog

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:Oh dear, please lets not have this thread go the same way of many others.

Apologies Mike I have removed the offending post.
Adrian

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:All this Thommo is a dagger and let him off for saying what he did is nieve, had it been me I would never return to the club until he was long gone. He is paid to do what he does and must remain professional at all time regardless. If I called one of my clients a wanker I would have my P45 and be down the job centre before I knew it.

I think Arnu is right in some ways by saying the board are not upto it and have no balls to deal with the matter at hand when everything is falling apart around them.

Thanks for the first few months of last season Wayne but the year since has been abysmal time to move on, fresh start is needed for all before its too late.
Yet the person that was apparently on the end of this doesn't seem to be quite so concerned.

It feels like you and others are trying to make a mountain out of someone else's molehill.
We'll it's not D4E making his anger known on another platform.
Which only furthers my point really. As far as I have read it was D4E that was spoken to inappropriately, and it is D4E who has said he considers it a closed matter.
Other people getting angry on his behalf is pointless.

If D4E wants to make something of it or not its his choice. It's not for you, me or anyone else to act on his behalf.