Burnett Poll In or Out

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Adrian

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: You have wanted Wayne out almost since he got the job, you could not even be gracious when he got us to what I thought was a great place last season, Even by your obvious high expectations it had to be classed as satisfactory.
I have not wanted him out almost since he got the job at all.
I have no problem saying that I don't think he should have been given the job permanently after the interim spell, but that's not the same as wanting him out.
Have a look through all of the threads calling for him to go, and you'll not find me wanting him gone until fairly recently.

Why would I be gracious because you thought the finishing position to last season was good?
I didn't, and as I and others have pointed out more than once, not everyone was fooled by that finishing position. At best it papered over some hefty cracks.

You and some others have never been willing to accept any criticism of Burnett and would often manage to even perceive criticism that wasn't even there. I think you're pretty much the last man standing of that group now though.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Adrian wrote:
SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: You have wanted Wayne out almost since he got the job, you could not even be gracious when he got us to what I thought was a great place last season, Even by your obvious high expectations it had to be classed as satisfactory.
I have not wanted him out almost since he got the job at all.
I have no problem saying that I don't think he should have been given the job permanently after the interim spell, but that's not the same as wanting him out.
Have a look through all of the threads calling for him to go, and you'll not find me wanting him gone until fairly recently.

Why would I be gracious because you thought the finishing position to last season was good?
I didn't, and as I and others have pointed out more than once, not everyone was fooled by that finishing position. At best it papered over some hefty cracks.

You and some others have never been willing to accept any criticism of Burnett and would often manage to even perceive criticism that wasn't even there. I think you're pretty much the last man standing of that group now though.
So look at my previous post and the justify your comment that I and some others have never accepted criticism of Wayne Burnett.

I clearly state that everybody is entitled to their view and also I get that a lot of People are unhappy. It is a view that I don't agree with but one I respect.

If you find a finishing positioning of 9th at best papering over hefty cracks then the question begs to be asked exactly what does he have to do. Bearing in mind that I once again have to remind you and People who share that view that he got us into a challenging position last season only to lose two players for the last quarter who contributed so much to get us there. If those two Players had stayed fit I am sure we would have been more convincing and even higher.

It is obvious I would not need a big room to hold a meeting of the Wayne Burnett appreciation society ,the Board room will be big enough !
Kevin

Whilst it's questionable as to whether last years 9th place was a "success" (we were pretty toilet for the 2014 part..the last few 4 or 5 home games of the season were particularly appalling), I can accept that would be a fair barometer to gauge this season.

Using last season as a guide, surely it would be fair to say that we have gone significantly backwards this campaign?

It's great that Wayne Burnett has the courage of his conviction to say they'll "keep doing what they're doing" but (from my point of view) I strongly believe a decent manager has the propensity to admit when he's been wrong - and try other ways to put it right.

Just not seeing any evidence of this at the mo. :(
daggersjeff

February 2013 "Wayne's World"

November 2014 "Wayned World"

Burnett, Hackett, Bennett, Thompson OUT now!!

Get Uncle Dave Andrews temporarily back on board to steady the ship. Give Darren Currie Caretaker charge until we can establish a few WORTHY candidates for the permanent position. Russ Powys in as new Chairman and Jeremy West as MD.

People who do give a ******!
DI Mike Dashwood

It's hard to know where people are being sarcy or ironic at moment, or just a bit short-sighted.

Thompson out appears to have come up a few times in recent weeks mainly based on him being behind the times and not having business experience or knowledge etc etc.

And yet now someone is saying bring back Dave Andrews who I would agree is a top top bloke and did a top top job but stepped aside so the Club could take a more modern approach??

And while Russ is a Daggers legend, of the highest order, I am not sure what business experience Russ has that would move us forward??

People seem to be contradicting themselves a little at the moment on here!!!

And as I have said before, like him or not, agree with him or not, nobody cares more for the Club than Steve Thompson.

Careful what you wish for folks.................
steeevooo

Agree with all of that Dashers.
Diggerthedog

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:It's hard to know where people are being sarcy or ironic at moment, or just a bit short-sighted.

Thompson out appears to have come up a few times in recent weeks mainly based on him being behind the times and not having business experience or knowledge etc etc.

And yet now someone is saying bring back Dave Andrews who I would agree is a top top bloke and did a top top job but stepped aside so the Club could take a more modern approach??

And while Russ is a Daggers legend, of the highest order, I am not sure what business experience Russ has that would move us forward??

People seem to be contradicting themselves a little at the moment on here!!!

And as I have said before, like him or not, agree with him or not, nobody cares more for the Club than Steve Thompson.

Careful what you wish for folks.................
We all care for the club but could probably do as good a job as Thommo. Like I said previously he is a social club manager now found himself MD of a small company turning over £1m + a year, anyone with a business acumen could see that the currect step up is not working and a change is needed he has failed to do this. He himself should now depart. This is all my own opinion.
DI Mike Dashwood

Well, I think many on here will disagree.

Should the board, led essentially by Steve look at the current playing and managerial position with a little more urgency?? Some will argue yes. Should Steve have shouted at D4E in the bar the other week?? Most will agree no.

However, to say he is no more than a Social Club Manager I would say is pretty offensive in all honesty mate. Until this Year the Club has been lauded, internally and externally, for the way it is run. For the way in which it operates on low income in a difficult location and market without building up huge debt, and without relying on one man's cash. Whatever people think, I would say a lot of this is down to his work.

The list of things the Club has done, on the pitch and off, over the last 10 years is endless, and Steve has driven a lot of these.

If people think Burnett is out of his depth and a change is needed then fair enough, I can see how they conclude this. And people are right to be unhappy with the current offering, I am as much as anyone. But I really think with the way the Club has been run as a whole over the last few years people need a little bit of perspective.
BB-Dagger

I try not to get to emotive about these comments on here, we all have our own opinions be they wrong or right,
but one thing that I know is a 100% certainty is that Steve Thompson does a bloody good job running our beloved club!
everyone has their faults but anything and everything Steve does he does for the right reasons, not many of us would put
in the hours he does in a day trying to keep the club afloat, he is a bit of a control freak but thats the type who keeps a tight reign.
As for Wayne.... I like him as a person but at the moment Im not sure if he is what we need to pull us out of this mess,
I hope so but Im not holding my breath.
Dagger Steve

Agree with the Thomson comments.

Always have taken pride in the fact that we live within our means, with little to no debt, whilst many clubs constantly fail.

This isn't an easy task, and not many people could do it.
matt_drfc

I'd rather the club have him than be without him.
Diggerthedog

DI Mike Dashwood wrote:Well, I think many on here will disagree.

Should the board, led essentially by Steve look at the current playing and managerial position with a little more urgency?? Some will argue yes. Should Steve have shouted at D4E in the bar the other week?? Most will agree no.

However, to say he is no more than a Social Club Manager I would say is pretty offensive in all honesty mate. Until this Year the Club has been lauded, internally and externally, for the way it is run. For the way in which it operates on low income in a difficult location and market without building up huge debt, and without relying on one man's cash. Whatever people think, I would say a lot of this is down to his work.

The list of things the Club has done, on the pitch and off, over the last 10 years is endless, and Steve has driven a lot of these.

If people think Burnett is out of his depth and a change is needed then fair enough, I can see how they conclude this. And people are right to be unhappy with the current offering, I am as much as anyone. But I really think with the way the Club has been run as a whole over the last few years people need a little bit of perspective.
Understand what you are saying dashers but his attitude of wanting to finish 22nd is madness and can easily be mis-read by players. In the normal world that is asking for bare minimum from your employees and thats what we are currently getting on the pitch. The club has stagnated badly the past few years and the buck stops with the MD, I'm not disrespecting anything he has acheived but who is saying someone else young and hungry could do an as good or much better then he is currently doing.

If everyone is happy with the current set up from top to bottom then we can just carry on scraping the football league barrell, because that is what will be happening for the forseeable. This club currently has no ambition to be anything but fodder.
matt_drfc

He obviously doesn't WANT to finish 22nd, but it's true what he was saying, for us and many others the initial expectation is to be safe from relegation, anything else is a bonus. The players and management and board will have the hope of finishing in and around the play-offs I believe.
steeevooo

There's also a huge difference between saying that Thommo does a good job and drawing the conclusion that everyone is happy with the club from the top to the bottom...
daggersjeff

[quote=

If everyone is happy with the current set up from top to bottom then we can just carry on scraping the football league barrell, because that is what will be happening for the forseeable. This club currently has no ambition to be anything but fodder.[/quote]

Unfortunately, we will not be doing that. Because once again we will be plying our trade in the Conference and below. I personally would be quite happy back down there; as a "Club" it was so much more in those days.

I agree with the facts that Thommo has done excellent work for the club. However, like WB I feel he is now out of his depth in the current situation. I can imagine his horror if the club has to SPEND MONEY to retain its football league status. That coupled with his lack of ambition for the club and disregard for the fans tells me he has come to the end.

As regards the positions I advocated, my point was to getting people in place who care