Time to bring back Trumpet Boy!!

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Cockney Byrites

With all the talk about atmosphere in the sieve lately, could it be time for "Trumpet Boy" to dust off his bugle and come out of retirement?

Please read my latest Daggers post.
Thanks!!

http://cockneybyrites.blogspot.com
steeevooo

"Trumpet Boy" doesn't even go to Daggers games any more, and hasn't done for a long, long time.
Dagger Steve

I haven't got the answer, but I don't think bringing the trumpet back will help. We'll just have some tunes mixed in with the silence to makes things that bit more awrkward.

We had plenty of seasons with and without the trumpet, where there was still a decent atmosphere in the ground.
For whatever reason "the boys what sing" are no longer present, or not willing too. And without them, the casual singers such as myself are also lost.
I remember without fail when a song of support would immediately start after the opposing team had scored, a never say die attitute of the fans which has been lost.

Maybe there isnt anything to be done, and this is just a natural progression that our fan base is going through at the moment. Few seasons time the fans will find their voice again...
ARNU

Might help if we had some songs.

There is simply not enough of us anyway.When you have 10 ft between you and the next spectator you are hardly gonna start off a chant.
If you want a sing song,go to an away match.
What happened to kids corner who used to stand at the far end of the sieve ? All grew up and went to watch better football somewhere else I s'pose.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

ARNU wrote:Might help if we had some songs.

There is simply not enough of us anyway.When you have 10 ft between you and the next spectator you are hardly gonna start off a chant.
What happened to kids corner who used to stand at the far end of the sieve ? All grew up and went to watch better football somewhere else I s'pose.
Some still go, some banned, some not bothered..
ARNU

matt_drfc wrote:

Id bet the majority just grew up.Its just life.When you are young you want to fight and be loud(and moronic at times)then you grow up.Certainly by your 30's you see it for what it is..Just football...or at least you should do.I find it hilarious that there are still a handful of blokes in their 40's and 50's still get involved in all that "hooligan" stuff.Im not being funny and although I like a bit of a sing song occasionally at my age even that seems a bit silly, a grown man shouting "Wanker Wanker" at the ref or some opposing player,pathetic really.Look around you on the terraces,lot of older people with kids even,hardly gonna start a chant are they ?
Diggerthedog

Only there for league one. Believe some of them were the idiots that got done for racist chanting and banned.
matt_drfc

ARNU wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:

Id bet the majority just grew up.Its just life.When you are young you want to fight and be loud(and moronic at times)then you grow up.Certainly by your 30's you see it for what it is..Just football...or at least you should do.I find it hilarious that there are still a handful of blokes in their 40's and 50's still get involved in all that "hooligan" stuff.Im not being funny and although I like a bit of a sing song occasionally at my age even that seems a bit silly, a grown man shouting "Wanker Wanker" at the ref or some opposing player,pathetic really.Look around you on the terraces,lot of older people with kids even,hardly gonna start a chant are they ?
Yeah you're right, majority grew up, I still go as do a few others who stand in the middle now, but the idiots that were racist and looking for trouble are banned now thankfully. A lot of them that day were West Ham fans and had nothing to do with Dagenham. Majority of the time it was a laugh but only a couple of years on and I look back and some things were embarrassing haha.
Dagdale

Its certainly getting very bleak down the sieve of late, and the lack of real excitement on the pitch and too much space about terracing sadly is making it more difficult to make our home a place of fear for the opposition, think the last time I felt it shone very brightly was the magnificent comeback against Scunthorpe 3-0 to 3-3, thunder, rain and all on that midweek game last season, brilliant night. Maybe something suddenly out of the blue could revive it but other than offensive chanting what I love about us footie fans we nearly all have the ability to unite together making us all laugh on sometimes something that is pretty simple and when away fans reply it can turn out a good crack. Let's look into making up. What I love more than anything about lower realm football, hardly see any agro and fans to fans get on quite well, enjoy having some banter with fans especially on away's but reports from Pompey fans talking to on Tuesday there's been bovver on two of their home games recently, mainly with the away lot, police drawing batons and women and girls caught up in it and ugly stuff, hope its nipped in the bud very quickly and keep it going good and pleasant and in turn more will enter the turnstiles.
Dagger Steve

It cant be that simply there isnt enough of us because we've always had small crowds and always generated noise in the past.
ARNU

Dagger Steve wrote:

It cant be that simply there isnt enough of us because we've always had small crowds and always generated noise in the past.
Enough singers congregated in the same area.I normally lean up against the wall at the front,not so long ago it was a squeeze to get on it with people breathing over your shoulder,now theres a 5 or 6ft gap between me and the bloke behind.I do smell quite nice so I don't think its because of any hygiene issue LOL!! Also I pretty much keep myself to myself and don't bore on about roofs and hoofball to anyone.Whilst I will join in any imaginative singing or chanting there is no way Im gonna start one with so much space around me.At away matches we're all squeezed together,again not usually many people but enough that you don't feel like a plum if you start a chant.You know the others will join in.Last home match I had a fella and his little kid next to me one side and an elderly couple the other.Was hardly gonna start "The referee's a wanker " with them around me.
Adrian

ARNU wrote:Last home match I had a fella and his little kid next to me one side and an elderly couple the other.Was hardly gonna start "The referee's a wanker " with them around me.
It's very polite of you to give them both the opportunity to go first. ;-)
Mikins

We should start signal fires like in lord of the rings. "The chant is going up! Prepare to digger!"
Sorry about your damn luck!