Southend Away KO Time

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

Southend away kickoff time has been moved from 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm and the game will be live on TNT sport.

Seems an odd game to move to a later kickoff.
Don’t the police usually advise against this for derby matches where there is a potential risk of crowd trouble?
ARNU

I've been to this fixture at their place 4 or 5 times now, Apart from a bit of abuse being hurled in both directions during the game it's never felt unsafe. I remember Southend fans a few seasons back getting a bit rowdy in the TBS stand at our ground and I think an exchange of missiles took place between them and the sieve. This is because they put both sets of fans in close proximity. They used to put Southend fans behind the goal in with away Dagenham fans which they haven't done anymore since. The trick is to keep both sets of fans apart in the ground.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

Southend currently have a capacity restriction in the stand behind the goal because their ground is a pile of shite. They can not have their own fans along side us it means we also have a limited allocation due to this, not sure what that is mind but heard around 800. With the game being live and late it will knock a few of the home and away numbers.
shrimperama

Diggerthedog wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 am Southend currently have a capacity restriction in the stand behind the goal because their ground is a pile of shite. They can not have their own fans along side us it means we also have a limited allocation due to this, not sure what that is mind but heard around 800. With the game being live and late it will knock a few of the home and away numbers.
It definitely hasn't knocked home numbers.

Looks like you have sold just under 400 away fan tickets.

Strange game to change tbh.

I'd expect around 7,500 on the day maybe 8k if we are lucky.

Hopefully this will be the last journey to roots hall with its current facilities.

The new owners want to completely modernise roots hall and the north bank away end looking likely to be first to get a makeover.

Safe journey and good luck after Saturday.

Depending on which Southend side turn up , it will either be an easy win a tough defeat..
IanC

same for you matey
NBDag

A strange feeling going into the match. Earlier this season all logic would have said that we trounce them. Yet they ended up playing us off the park. This time around, on paper we should have no real reason to get something tomorrow. However our form + Phippsy’s natural ability has left me thinking that we could walk away with something.

Good to see we finally have a striker coming in. Probably too soon for him to start tomorrow, but I hope we do get to see him and he can do the business.
Mark

I am apprehensive because I feel like in front of a decent crowd we never win.

Oldham 6500 drew
Chesterfield 7200 lost
Southend 3200 lost
Southend last season 7300 lost

In fact Notts County last season is about the only time I can remember us winning away in front of over 3k in years. Stockport away 2021 I guess. Even going back when we were reasonably good in 2017 we got done at Hartlepool, Tranmere, Orient.

Obviously these better supported clubs tend to have more money and therefore more expensive players but I don't think that's the whole story. I think referees also find it much easier to give the 50/50s to the big club with their baying fans rather than our pub team from Essex. Each individual decision might not amount to much but accumulated they change the course of the match. I suppose some might suggest a small club mentality doesn't help but I can't believe all our teams over the years could've fallen into that trap.
Diggerthedog

To be fair we whacked this lot 3 times in one season with decent crowds two seasons ago. The chesterfield away game was our own fault with the sending off and poor goalkeeping, also at Oldham we had more than enough chances to win the game. We’re second favorite in this game but not by much, if Cardwell plays for them I think they’ll edge it but they really struggled without him midweek and should have been comfortably beaten.

Close to 500 sold I believe so another 150 for pay on the gate and it should be a good day, not many teams would take 50% of their home support to an away game so a fantastic effort.
NBDag

Cardwell has seemingly is set to miss out through injury. Fingers crossed there are no changes there. Also looks like Maher is set to serve a touchline ban due to the number of bookings he has received.
Mark

He keeps getting booked for leaving his technical area. His feet are inside but his nose is on the touchline.
shrimperama

Morning all.

Just to let you know, for those who don't.

The railway pub outside of Prittlewell station generally let in well behaved away fans. Good pub. Decent beer and large beer garden etc.

Unfortunately, away pubs near the ground are thin in the ground due to being home only.

In town there are the usual wetherspoons etc.

If real ale etc is your thing then I would suggest the old trout or craft work in town and about a 20 mins walk from the ground.

There is also the west road tap about 10 mins walk from the ground but it's very small.

Other pubs that are ok. The plough or the cricketers in westcliff are both about a 15 mins walk from roots hall.

I'd give the food at roots hall a swerve.

The fish house by the stadium is excellent for for fish and chips but will be very busy.

Best of luck for the season after today.

Shrimpy
RM1Dagger

shrimperama wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:16 am Morning all.

Just to let you know, for those who don't.

The railway pub outside of Prittlewell station generally let in well behaved away fans. Good pub. Decent beer and large beer garden etc.

Unfortunately, away pubs near the ground are thin in the ground due to being home only.

In town there are the usual wetherspoons etc.

If real ale etc is your thing then I would suggest the old trout or craft work in town and about a 20 mins walk from the ground.

There is also the west road tap about 10 mins walk from the ground but it's very small.

Other pubs that are ok. The plough or the cricketers in westcliff are both about a 15 mins walk from roots hall.

I'd give the food at roots hall a swerve.

The fish house by the stadium is excellent for for fish and chips but will be very busy.

Best of luck for the season after today.

Shrimpy
Cheers, hopefully some fans heeded that advice. For my part it was a drive and then the usual game of trying to find somewhere to park..but as for the game, relieved in the end to get a point but probably should have been out of sight with the chances we had in the first half. Manager summed it up perfectly - the first half injuries hurt us, especially Phipps having to revert to defence as he was holding the ball up well for us which then obviously dissipated. I really think we would have gone on to win the game otherwise.
Now the SE27 Dagger
len

Despite the injuries in the first half in which we should have sown the game up, we battled well and came away with a point. Well done the lads.
Kevin

Yep, good point considering the first half injuries.

Still pretty tight near the bottom..

COYD
shrimperama

Morning.

I'll be as fair as I can be.

That first half from us was criminal. We played like a team that met about 5 minutes before the match.

We should have been 3 or 4 down at half time. For me it was definite red card that we got away with. You passed the ball quicky and carved us open time and time again.

Second half was like a different side.

Probably could have won the game but would have been massively undeserved.

Good following from your team.

Both teams will be playing again next season. Both too good to go down and neither good enough to challenge.

I'm sure our new owners will want a league return and we will add some real quality to the side over the summer.