Logo

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Dagdale

I think the old badge would still had a longer life if they had only used larger fonts on our name, so people know who we are, having said that I feel this new one will settle in with most of us after time but looking at it, its just two daggers and a circle with the only plus being it would seem to be more clearer to the eyeing public. I feel we should be proud of our little club, we're not setting the football world talking much with our past and lately worried about our existance in English League but funny enough what I love is there's not a lot of us and what does come through the gates to watch us whether home and away you know each one has made that more of an effort to participate. You know there's some guy I often see mainly in club with like a dark blueish tracksuit top with Dagenham & Redbridge FC in white bold letters on the back, that's all and to me that's all it needs, somehow I don't think he works for the club but feel a pity they can't sell something like that in shop, as it'll make my day walking through Gooner land, Spurs and Chelsea territory on the way in and return. To some other footie fans crazily, D & R is mysterious and when you bring 'em in on a chinwag they're totally in limbo about us!
ARNU

Mike the Dagger wrote: Bollocks it was fishing. You had no idea who those "2 geezers" were.

I did know who they were,they asked for my autograph before the game :lol:
Knowing how touchy delicate and easy to offend with a little joke most of you are on here I was guaranteed an angry mortally wounded response off someone.Wasnt expecting it to be you though to be honest.Thought Id snare one of my more regular haters.I s'pose 1 day they'll wheel out Phil Ifil and Gavin hoyte and I'll have to be all offended by the youth of tomorrow.All this lower league football players on god like pedestals rubbish is beyond me.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote:
Knowing how touchy delicate and easy to offend with a little joke most of you are on here I was guaranteed an angry mortally wounded response off someone.Wasnt expecting it to be you though to be honest.Thought Id snare one of my more regular haters.I s'pose 1 day they'll wheel out Phil Ifil and Gavin hoyte and I'll have to be all offended by the youth of tomorrow.All this lower league football players on god like pedestals rubbish is beyond me.
Those "2 geezers" were part of the team that put Dagenham & Redbridge on the map by getting a little non-league club, just out of the Isthmian League, to the 3rd round of the FA Cup three seasons in a row, getting to within 5 minutes of a win against Charton Athletic, then a fixture in the Premier League. The current crop would do well to look at what that group achieved as part time players and understanding what the shirt they wear actually means. Without that team and what they achieved, I would argue that none of what we are now happens.

All this changing the badge nonsense is part of the throwing away of all that heritage and trying to become something we aren't really. Let's not forget that while we are trying to grow the club, what came before we were in the Football League has immense value too.

And bollocks was it a joke, I bet you had to ask who they were.
Dagger Steve

It's terrible.

I've had a rollercoaster of emotions about this since yesterday.
When I first saw it I was angered. Then found it hilarious. Now I am just mystified.

How on earth has this got approval? I know we are somethimes tinpot about things (shit website and such) but this will be our national identity, and it looks like someones school project.
Not having a go at the bloke who designed it, he just gave it a go as was requested. But that's what it looks like, something someone knocked up on their laptop whilst Eastenders was on.

ARNU - you are always talking about what a good buisness man you are, so you must know the importance of branding. I don't believe you actually like it, just the fact its another step towards losing our non league roots. (Although ironically looking very non league in itself.)

I hate it.

P.S I could'nt make the last game, who were the "2 geezers" being mentioned. Sounds like part of the Garry Hill era halcyon days from whats being mentioned.
ARNU

Mike the Dagger wrote:
ARNU wrote:
Those "2 geezers" were part of the team that put Dagenham & Redbridge on the map by getting a little non-league club, just out of the Isthmian League, to the 3rd round of the FA Cup three seasons in a row, getting to within 5 minutes of a win against Charton Athletic, then a fixture in the Premier League. The current crop would do well to look at what that group achieved as part time players and understanding what the shirt they wear actually means. Without that team and what they achieved, I would argue that none of what we are now happens.

All this changing the badge nonsense is part of the throwing away of all that heritage and trying to become something we aren't really. Let's not forget that while we are trying to grow the club, what came before we were in the Football League has immense value too.

And bollocks was it a joke, I bet you had to ask who they were.
I know who they are,I bought a kebab from their van :lol:

You have had yet another sense of humour failure me thinks.

#Don't really give a ****** to be totally honest.
ARNU

Dagger Steve wrote:It's terrible.

ARNU - you are always talking about what a good buisness man you are, so you must know the importance of branding. I don't believe you actually like it, just the fact its another step towards losing our non league roots. (Although ironically looking very non league in itself.)

I hate it.

P.S I could'nt make the last game, who were the "2 geezers" being mentioned. Sounds like part of the Garry Hill era halcyon days from whats being mentioned.
Obviously this has given me a great opportunity to wind the more delicate people up on here once again,but to be honest I don't mind the new badge or really care about such triviality.Being serious for a change though,I do get the points you make about the erosion of the good old days/clubs roots in non league and agree its possibly a bit of a shame.However times change and people do and should move on.Im not sure the old logo says any more or less about roots than the new one.Id say the new one at least will be more.easily recognised by the general public.

By the way Im not the greatest businessman in the world by a long long way but I'd concede there are many worse ones in the pile before you get to me.
Mike the Dagger

ARNU wrote: Obviously this has given me a great opportunity to wind the more delicate people up on here once again,but to be honest I don't mind the new badge or really care about such triviality.Being serious for a change though,I do get the points you make about the erosion of the good old days/clubs roots in non league and agree its possibly a bit of a shame.However times change and people do and should move on.Im not sure the old logo says any more or less about roots than the new one.Id say the new one at least will be more.easily recognised by the general public.

By the way Im not the greatest businessman in the world by a long long way but I'd concede there are many worse ones in the pile before you get to me.
For those that only came to the party recently, like Mr ARNU, the old badge was Dagenham FCs crest Image combined with the tree from Redbridge Forest's Image.

Pretty apt given that was exactly what happened in 1992. I think I'd have found a place for the three Essex seaxs as these appreared on the ilford, Leytonstone. Letonstone/Ilford and Walthamstow Avenue badges, but there you go.

Image Image Image Image

As noted by Dagger Steve, branding is pretty key these days. The chosen logo looks like it was thrown together in half an hour on Paint (as it probably was).

In my opinion, you don't chuck away your history, you embrace and celebrate it, and use it to your advantage.
ARNU

Well I do like your design Mike but cant see how any of this matters in the scheme of things.It seems only a handfull of you really care about what seems quite........No....a very trivial matter to me.My coming to the party later in the day is still longer than quite a few on here have been attending ay Nick!! LOL :lol: !!
Dagger Steve

From the reaction on Facebook and Twitter it's far more then a handful of people who have issues with it.

Honestly don't see how you view it as trivial (other then a wind up), I consider it one of the most important changes that the club can make.
It's our national identity, and we've got for the most tinpot route we possibly could.
Mike the Dagger

Dagger Steve wrote:From the reaction on Facebook and Twitter it's far more then a handful of people who have issues with it.

Honestly don't see how you view it as trivial (other then a wind up), I consider it one of the most important changes that the club can make.
It's our national identity, and we've got for the most tinpot route we possibly could.
Spot on. I wonder if the club ran this past anyone with an understanding of branding and graphic design at all?

My boy read me out the twitter comments yesterday the vast majority of which contained expletives.

Sample....

"April fools is like 5 months away, nice try! On a more serious note, what the f*ck is that!"

"that looks like a 3 year old has been let loose on clip art"

"a very cheap, amaeturish looking 'design' that isnt modern or sleek in the slightest!! Wont b buying any merchandise"

"Jesus Christ who made that a 2 year old?"

"That is f'ing vile."

"Who chose that?? Id rather they give the cash to college kid to design it lol"
ARNU

Whilst it may wind you up,and Im really not trying to now,I seriously think life has other more important challenges than what goes into the make up of a 3x3 inch logo on a shirt.Leave the old one on,I couldn't care either way.
NickMurphy

ARNU wrote:No....a very trivial matter to me.My coming to the party later in the day is still longer than quite a few on here have been attending ay Nick!! LOL :lol: !!
In fairness to myself, I couldn't manage the 45 minute walk to the club by myself at the age of 3.

Although I understand that was an attempt at humour on your part ;). When did you start coming over out of interest Arnu? Genuinely, can't remember when you've said it before.

Back to the badge, on the facebook page that is still occasionally updated, we've had over 100 comments of which around 90 are negative. Think about two people liked the badge...which you know...is fairly conclusive in itself.
Dagger Steve

ARNU wrote:Whilst it may wind you up,and Im really not trying to now,I seriously think life has other more important challenges than what goes into the make up of a 3x3 inch logo on a shirt.Leave the old one on,I couldn't care either way.
I wouldn't say you're winding me up, I'm just worried that a very poor decision is being made by the club.

Life does indeed have many more important issues but we're all here to discuss Dagger related issues, so makes sense we aren't discussing how our mother's current health is instead ;)
Lcbdagger

ARNU wrote:Whilst it may wind you up,and Im really not trying to now,I seriously think life has other more important challenges than what goes into the make up of a 3x3 inch logo on a shirt.Leave the old one on,I couldn't care either way.
Are we expecting to bring in more fans or sell more merchenadise by making the club 'more recognisable' through a badge designed by someone using Clip Art and Paint?? If not then what on earth is the point apart from perhaps a newspaper story or two about our new badge?
Mike the Dagger

Some links for you newbies then:

Club History including where D&RFC (founded 1881) came from: http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8201322

How the ground has changed over the years, despite there being no roof over the Bury Road end: http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8208026

Why so many hate Steve Evans even though "it's all in the past", "get over it" etc.: http://www.fansfocus.net/dagenhamandred ... id=8324597

The Daggers are in their 23rd season as D&RFC, only their 8th as a Football League club. Let's not forget where we came from!