Bye Trinity

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
NBDag

I do not buy this narrative about attendances at all. We have low attendances because nothing has ever been done to try and improve it.

Let’s look at some other clubs:

Woking, Maidstone, Kidderminster, Bromley, Aldershot are clubs I’ve quickly picked here. All non-league and have been for several years. Despite Bromley’s good season this year, we should consider these clubs as an example of “our current level” so we can use the quality of football/winning aspect as less of an excuse here. They all have less followers than us on Twitter (aside from Shots who are 4k more), but they all have much higher attendances. Do you know what the main cause is of that? It’s called conversion. They convert interest in their club into paid tickets better than what we do. We have the same, if not more interest (judged by follows) in our club but we don’t convert it as well. That is because the MD doesn’t know how to and hasn’t had any fresh ideas for a long time. Diversity day once a year is not enough. We convert that interest through appropriate pricing, going out of our way to connect with potential fans, and super importantly creating a better match day experience so attendees come back as fans. We do none of that unless you consider pies in the clubhouse an improvement on match day experience.

It’s not that it’s impossible for this club, to have a higher attendance. It’s just that we haven’t tried for so long that we believe there is nothing that can be done. It’s what Thompson believes, and that’s a bloody good reason for why it’s not true. We just need a fresh approach with different people. Rant over.
HGDagger

If we could barely manage over 2 and a half thousand in league 1, then it's extremely unlikely we'll get an average of close to 2 thousand again. Only the Southend game ɓumps up our average above the bottom clubs in our league. If we went down to the South we'd average about the same as most of the clubs there.
Diggerthedog

Isn’t that the problem though, absolutely nothing has change inside the stadium since league one, same tea bars serving the same shite food, same crap views in the sieve not suitable for families, the family stand being the worst view in the whole stadium. There is absolutely nothing to get people to return, there has been no willing from the MD to change anything at all so the club stagnates and does not move with the times. Most people that come to our games don’t enter the club house but at least that’s all been done up, priorities all wrong as per usual.

Almost every club now has a fanzone on site, that’s where you start have an outside caterer different each game hog roast, kebabs, guest ales, music etc etc.

All too late now, the MD blew it all with McMahon.
NBDag

Diggerthedog wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:02 pm Isn’t that the problem though, absolutely nothing has change inside the stadium since league one, same tea bars serving the same shite food, same crap views in the sieve not suitable for families, the family stand being the worst view in the whole stadium. There is absolutely nothing to get people to return, there has been no willing from the MD to change anything at all so the club stagnates and does not move with the times. Most people that come to our games don’t enter the club house but at least that’s all been done up, priorities all wrong as per usual.

Almost every club now has a fanzone on site, that’s where you start have an outside caterer different each game hog roast, kebabs, guest ales, music etc etc.

All too late now, the MD blew it all with McMahon.
Exactly this. And HGDagger you’re not wrong on attendances both past and future. But the crucial thing in that is that what you say is based on the club’s current state with Thompson making all of decisions to do nothing new. But if we had an owner, and an MD willing to invest in and be inventive with fan experience, connections with fans, and the price of our product we would see a difference. It’s how consumer brands grow and football is no different if you look around at other clubs.
Chalky69

Read your comments about doing things new with interest. A few months ago the new American guy who came from Wealdstone got members together to suggest to him what measures could be introduced to encourage more people to come. Very few people had any suggestions and the only one that has been taken up is the introduction of the Kids Daggers suggestion which to me seems a good deal. To suggest that we have a different caterer in every match, hog roast, music. We are a football club not a Restaurant. Having said that I find nothing wrong with the food and from the numbers queuing up at half time nor do a lot of other people! Why Steve Thompson is the butt of people's anger I know not. Its very easy for the keyboard warriors to criticize him for little or no apparent reason but the club runs because of people like him and who always want the best for the club despite what many of you think.
Diggerthedog

Proof that the full members are load of fuddy duddy old bed wetters that want absolutely no change and side with Thompson despite him overseeing the demise of managers, now several owners and ultimately killing of the club. Congratulations.
len

Chalky69 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:07 am Read your comments about doing things new with interest. A few months ago the new American guy who came from Wealdstone got members together to suggest to him what measures could be introduced to encourage more people to come. Very few people had any suggestions and the only one that has been taken up is the introduction of the Kids Daggers suggestion which to me seems a good deal. To suggest that we have a different caterer in every match, hog roast, music. We are a football club not a Restaurant. Having said that I find nothing wrong with the food and from the numbers queuing up at half time nor do a lot of other people! Why Steve Thompson is the butt of people's anger I know not. Its very easy for the keyboard warriors to criticize him for little or no apparent reason but the club runs because of people like him and who always want the best for the club despite what many of you think.

Chalky, I cannot disagree with you any of this so very well said. I've never understood the anger by a few on here against Steve Thomson and knowing lots of the fans as I do, having supported the team for many years, do not know anyone personally who also shares these views.
VIEW FROM THE STAND

On the matter of ticket pricing, I don't understand the logic of charging £2 more for match day walkins.
Also, talking through my pocket, my grandson turned 10 during last season and his 2023/24 season ticket has gone from £20 to £100 .
Now you might argue that £20 for under 10's is too cheap, I don't because it's all about encouraging and keeping supporters, but whatever the starting price is, I think there should be a more structured ladder of increase to age 17/18.
"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"
Diggerthedog

For all the good Peter Freund did he legacy will be tarnished if we’re relegated this season, the refusal to give tiny bit of more funds to get a striker in and see us over the line could leave a really sour taste in the mouth.
stanton101

We are at a disadvantage straight away with West Ham only up the road. That said there is plenty that can be done to attract some fans in.
I dare say Thompson has the club's best interests at heart, but football has moved on, things have changed both on and off the pitch unfortunately we haven't and if you don't push on you get left behind.
NBDag

stanton101 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:20 pm We are at a disadvantage straight away with West Ham only up the road. That said there is plenty that can be done to attract some fans in.
I dare say Thompson has the club's best interests at heart, but football has moved on, things have changed both on and off the pitch unfortunately we haven't and if you don't push on you get left behind.
I don’t understand this belief that we are the only club situated near a premier league club. It’s 13 miles away from us.
Bromley are 5.8 miles from Selhurst Park. Altrincham are 7.5 miles from United and 13 miles from City.
Eastleigh 4.2 miles from Southampton.
Barnet 4.5 miles from Spurs and 10 miles from Arsenal.
What’s their excuse? These aren’t the only clubs on another club’s doorstep either. They’re all doing better than us whilst also living in less densely populated parts of the country. Please stop believing the lies that the club turfs out at every forum, think critically for yourself and realise that the business arm of this club lacks the ambition, know how, and frankly motivation to do better. If we as fans do not properly hold the club to account for its underachievements then things will not ever get better.
RayleighDagger1986

As Thommo did explain in his pre match article around Diversity Day, we are located in one of the most deprived London Boroughs. That must be a factor when we charge £19 at the gate.

Id rather have 2,500 paying £8-£10 than 1,200 paying £17-£19. The atmosphere, the 12th man would simply add to the game experience for both fans and players alike. Ive always said, Kids for a £1 until at least 16.

The club will eventually make increasef profits through increased advertising revenues, club shop, bar etc.
Diggerthedog

Just seen the highlights of Saturdays game, we turned people away to pay and sit in the SDS stand as it was sold out only to give out freebies and nobody to turn up, pathetic.
Daggerman

An incentive should be on a loyalty basis not one off freebie’s, pay for 10 get one or two free for instance, I’m not renewing my season ticket next year I’m just paying as and when I can make it, let’s face it it’s not much of a saving is it.
Diggerthedog

Who on earth would renew their season ticket in the current climate? Lost 12 homes games, clearly no money, no owners, clearly we wont re-sign Effiong our only source of goals and the price for the product on offer is quite frankly overpriced. It would take a huge turnaround for people to part with their money next season in the current economy and who could blame them but at least Steve Thompson will get his free fortnightly roast dinner.