Same old, same old...

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
matt_drfc

mickeyblue wrote:id have abs and howell. as soon as others have said cambridge put more players on boucard (who btw did nothing wrong) we was out of the game as cureton was isolated up top on his own. 4-4-2 this cant happen even if we have to defend deep as we have 2 strikers.

1st half abs and howell pushed up very well. howell atm is below par and can play alot better but we have nobody else.
That's fair enough, I would accept if it was those 2, but they will naturally need to drop deeper to collect the ball, but you said you didn't like that, which is why I wasn't sure who you thought should play..

Personally, I think with the style we are playing we ALWAYS need a Boucaud or Bingham, someone who can look after the ball, change the tempo of the game when needed and mainly pass it properly. I don't think Ogogo and Howell with respect are technically good enough to do that job, but with their engines and determination their type are always needed. So I do think 4-3-3 is the formation our players are more suited to playing, especially from the start of a game. Of course it will change if we are chasing the game like today and taking off Boucaud was the right decision at that point. Doidge would have been the perfect player to come on and we could be more effective going direct, getting crosses in etc...
shoreyda2nd

I hope that everyone (and there were alot of you) who constantly had pops at Lewy and effectively drove him away from the club were there today.

Also, Brian Saah, what exactly does he do? Wins very few headers, gives needless free kicks away, and kicks the ball 60 yards straight to their goalkeeper. This is more of a general question/opinion rather than a comment solely based on today's game.
Diggerthedog

shoreyda2nd wrote:I hope that everyone (and there were alot of you) who constantly had pops at Lewy and effectively drove him away from the club were there today.

Also, Brian Saah, what exactly does he do? Wins very few headers, gives needless free kicks away, and kicks the ball 60 yards straight to their goalkeeper. This is more of a general question/opinion rather than a comment solely based on today's game.
No one drive Lewy away he was offered a contract and never signed it. Probably gets paid more to bench warm for col u then he did for us as first team goalkeeper. And if he did leave due to a few comments then he needs to grow a pair.
shoreyda2nd

Diggerthedog wrote: No one drive Lewy away he was offered a contract and never signed it. Probably gets paid more to bench warm for col u then he did for us as first team goalkeeper. And if he did leave due to a few comments then he needs to grow a pair.
The abuse he used to get was very OTT and I imagine was a contributing factor to him looking elsewhere
leewilson

mickeyblue wrote:4-4-2 at home would be better imo.
only person to get our crown going is russell and thats just sad if you ask me.
Unfortunately one plonker in the sieve who has a voice like razorblades (and that's being kind) turns against the team the moment anything gets tough and just begins shouting abuse at the players and manager. It's difficult as a collective to rally when you have supporters of that mindset being that vocal.
ARNU

shoreyda2nd wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote: No one drive Lewy away he was offered a contract and never signed it. Probably gets paid more to bench warm for col u then he did for us as first team goalkeeper. And if he did leave due to a few comments then he needs to grow a pair.
The abuse he used to get was very OTT and I imagine was a contributing factor to him looking elsewhere
He never had any abuse at the ground.Just the odd roll of the eyes every time he booted the ball out instead of up the field.Im absolutely sure Lewy left for more money and nothing else.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
mickeyblue

matt_drfc wrote:
mickeyblue wrote:id have abs and howell. as soon as others have said cambridge put more players on boucard (who btw did nothing wrong) we was out of the game as cureton was isolated up top on his own. 4-4-2 this cant happen even if we have to defend deep as we have 2 strikers.

1st half abs and howell pushed up very well. howell atm is below par and can play alot better but we have nobody else.
That's fair enough, I would accept if it was those 2, but they will naturally need to drop deeper to collect the ball, but you said you didn't like that, which is why I wasn't sure who you thought should play..

Personally, I think with the style we are playing we ALWAYS need a Boucaud or Bingham, someone who can look after the ball, change the tempo of the game when needed and mainly pass it properly. I don't think Ogogo and Howell with respect are technically good enough to do that job, but with their engines and determination their type are always needed. So I do think 4-3-3 is the formation our players are more suited to playing, especially from the start of a game. Of course it will change if we are chasing the game like today and taking off Boucaud was the right decision at that point. Doidge would have been the perfect player to come on and we could be more effective going direct, getting crosses in etc...
sorry mate if a style of play is losing at home more often than not its clearly not working.

we can still pass the ball about with a midfield 4 but also have an option of a hoof/longball with 2 strikers, very old fashioned i know.
away from home its clearly working but our funeral home of a ground needs livening up. id even prefer a 433 with our wingers pushing more inside.

today imo burnett got out done in the tactics department not 4 the 1st time at half time and surely wont be the last.

hurry up murphy and hines!
but we finished 9th!
mickeyblue

leewilson wrote:
mickeyblue wrote:4-4-2 at home would be better imo.
only person to get our crown going is russell and thats just sad if you ask me.
Unfortunately one plonker in the sieve who has a voice like razorblades (and that's being kind) turns against the team the moment anything gets tough and just begins shouting abuse at the players and manager. It's difficult as a collective to rally when you have supporters of that mindset being that vocal.
does this plonker sell programmes occasionaly by any chance?

does he ever make any noise when were doing well?

we as fans need a little boost aswell. something to sing about and hopefully that come asap.
even when we scored it was half hearted cheers. not 1 song after either.
but we finished 9th!
Auntie Merge

The sieve sounded like a library for most of the game.
From the Carling I do my usual 'come on you reds' we we go up for a corner, and wait for the echo from the sieve, but this is becoming less and less, today it didn't happen once.

In fact, today I shouted 'come on you reds' when we were taking a corner and said to the guy next to me, I don't know why I shout it, can't remember the last time we scored when I shouted it, and the ball went in the back of the net for our second.

So sad to hear us repeatedly out sung at home games. There used to be such a terrific atmosphere at games, even when we were losing.
SUSSEX DAGGER

shoreyda2nd wrote:I hope that everyone (and there were alot of you) who constantly had pops at Lewy and effectively drove him away from the club were there today.

50% of your post is utter tosh. Did we also drive Seabright away who was also offered a contract . The opinion was he was not yet ready but I tell you what if he was not then the Clown we have at the moment will never be.

The other 50% is bang on the money, when he defensively heads a ball it goes nowhere and it been the same since he has been here. Count how many times he heads a ball out and it plops no more then 5-10 yards outside our box and as a result comes straight back.

Always remember that Fortune who came on at Exeter for the last two minutes the season before last. We were under the cosh and he made three headers and I don't think I have ever seen a player get such distance.

We seem to have problem clearing ouyr lines at times and it simply is not good enough.
NickMurphy

Bit hard to create an atmosphere when we're continually so awful at home (although admittedly maybe we deserved the draw this afternoon). Then again, deserving and getting are a different thing, and after seeing someone post that we have lost 6 of the last 7 at home in the league I believe, I'm not surprised fans have an air of depression inside Viccy Road. Was speaking to Lee earlier and though that since last year we've seen about 4 home wins...I looked online later and since mid-December 2013 we've won 4 from 23 in the league at home which is absolutely atrocious, whichever way you slice it, and however much you say we played well. That's simply not good enough home form, regardless of our recent decent performances on the road.

As for the goals today, I have to admit I thought the first was just a superb free-kick, although if it is O'Brien's positioning then I'll happily admit a mistake on that one. The second is another set piece which is embarrassing given our troubles that have gone on for well over a year with those with exactly no kind of improvement. And the third, calamity of errors all round from the defensive boot to O'Brien's handling - and I have to admit I didn't think it was a foul on him either, although I'll look at the replay on FLS for a final judgement. When we went 3-1 down we just seemed to totally lose faith in everything, looked far too dejected and too down in ourselves, doesn't help with a despondent crowd obviously, but the team have to make breakthroughs in that situation. The difference in support and vocals was clear when we made it 3-2...and bar an absolutely outstanding save from their goalkeeper, we make it 3-3 (probably one of the best saves I've seen over Viccy Road, only 2nd to Robbo's vs Shrewsbury). Basically just very frustrating, although we seriously need to sort out our defence. To have conceded, 6, 3, 3, 2 already at home is ridiculous. Honourable mentions to Ogogo, Howell and Cureton again today as well mind, seem to be our most consistent three players, could probably argue a case for another two assists from Cureton as well - think he made the cross and I'm pretty sure his initial header from the corner was the one that came off the post. As for Yussuf, not sure what to think of him at the moment, hard to judge in 20 minutes worth of action. O'Brien on the other hand, I said before the season started that I'd have preferred Cousins in goal and I still don't judge that viewpoint. O'Brien is sort of like Lewington-lite, another good shot stopper, but even worse when it comes to decision making. Just makes it all the more annoying that we weren't given the experienced goalkeeper we were promised (How did we let Jake Cole slip)?

So yeah, that's my summary, and my last game for a month, so no doubt we'll win the next four and get thumped 5-0 when I see us up at Accrington next month.

PS, Liked the shorts today Arnu.
matt_drfc

NickMurphy wrote:PS, Liked the shorts today Arnu.
I was gonna say this aswell :lol: :lol:
bloke down the pub

Well thats £7.50 football
Pondfield Dagger

3 pathetic goals, all individual errors- goalkeeper, centre half, goalkeeper:

https://audioboo.fm/boos/2475821-dag_re ... -cambridge
ARNU

NickMurphy wrote: PS, Liked the shorts today Arnu.

Funny how when the Rainbow laces come out suddenly Im getting comments on my shapely pins from other men.Flattered though I am,Id rather you mocked my football opinions.I will have to stand with you in front of me from now on :lol:
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !