The Cost of Relegation

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

Sorry to be the purveyor of doom but it might be useful to gather some information here about the cost of relegation. This is mainly for those who have the ability to invest in the club to see the full impact and realise it isn’t only about the same club playing at a lower level.

I’ll start…
Conference South is one of the most difficult divisions to be promoted from. Just look at Chelmsford City.

If we get relegated we will join the FA Cup at the 2nd qualifying round instead of the 4th, so will have to win 3 games to get to the 1st round proper not 1. Far less chance of ever having a money spinning cup run again.

Continue…
Lcbdagger

If we go down and neither of Barnet or Southend go up this season then not only would we likely see an expected exodus of any remaining decent talent within the squad but any prospect we might consider to be a proverbial game changer in getting us back up the League would be out of our reach.

It was already suggested this Summer that we lost out on players to Boreham Wood and Aldershot.
Lord Snooty

Travelling distances (and attendant costs) won’t be that different – a significant number of the current Conference South teams are actually located in the South West – long slow journeys down there my Old Lovers........
IanC

You gotta be feckin kidding me, it’s october for christ sake!!!!
len

IanC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:37 pm You gotta be feckin kidding me, it’s october for christ sake!!!!
Agree with that, much too early to worry about relegation.
Diggerthedog

Lord Snooty wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:06 pm Travelling distances (and attendant costs) won’t be that different – a significant number of the current Conference South teams are actually located in the South West – long slow journeys down there my Old Lovers........
We might get out in the north, ask Bishop Stortford! I think we’re going down, Strevens Out :grin:
ARNU

Despite the awful season we've had so far I think we'll bump along the bottom for a while yet and finish 17th. This is the worst Dagenham team I've ever had to endure by a long way. The Strevolution is no fun at all.
If we go down I'm done I think. There's easier ways to ruin a Saturday.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

This is the most organized side I’ve seen for a while, just not picking up the points. What they lack in quality they make up in work and heart that’s for sure. I think results will turn and we will end up finishing about 12-15th which is pretty much what I expected with such a small squad. Last season we had a worse side, on occasions quality would just get us through but remember games like Notts at home and Dorking away, much worse than this side.
len

Diggerthedog wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:26 pm This is the most organized side I’ve seen for a while, just not picking up the points. What they lack in quality they make up in work and heart that’s for sure. I think results will turn and we will end up finishing about 12-15th which is pretty much what I expected with such a small squad. Last season we had a worse side, on occasions quality would just get us through but remember games like Notts at home and Dorking away, much worse than this side.
I would agree this, we have been so unlucky with injuries and without these would have picked up so many more points than we have.
A S dagger97

Course we needed a bigger squad, when was that last time a daggers season wasn't plagued with injuries?
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
Auntie Merge

IanC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:37 pm You gotta be feckin kidding me, it’s october for christ sake!!!!
Early enough to realise that perhaps the budget has been cut too low.
Look at our last season in League 2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_D ... .C._season.

Strevens is not the issue. He is the best manager we have had in years.
Diggerthedog

That league two side was simply not good enough, the current side are more than good enough. Nice big win Saturday which should happen and we can start to motor. If we’re still bottom 4 at the start of December I will start to worry and the club will either need to replace the manager or spend some money.
Mark

Relegation would cost us a fortune but so did throwing big money at players who largely underperformed.

I don't think we'll go down and I actually prefer this season so far to recent ones - they are a team in the Daggers mould, they turn up every week rather than when they fancy it, just missing a sprinkling of quality at the top end.
Ally Fraser

When we go down West Ham ladies will take over the ground and kick us out…
Auntie Merge

After today’s performance, is there anyone who doesn’t think we’ll be in a relegation battle come April if things don’t change?