OT Scottish Referendum

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Ilford Dagger

ARNU wrote:I reckon a good proportion of the yes vote was more of a "get rid of Cameron and his cronies" vote than anything anti English.Remember out of 59 constituencies only 1 is conservative up there yet they still get Tory government.Whatever your political persuasion that is a bit unfair Id say.
True it seems a bit unfair but don't forget how the overall voting system is heavily weighed against the Tories the way the boundaries are drawn up - much harder for a Tory to win than Labour, also normally far more people vote Tory than Labour yet Labour still get in (we are still paying for 13 years of cockups & extravagance nearly 5 years on!!)
ARNU

Ilford Dagger wrote:
ARNU wrote:I reckon a good proportion of the yes vote was more of a "get rid of Cameron and his cronies" vote than anything anti English.Remember out of 59 constituencies only 1 is conservative up there yet they still get Tory government.Whatever your political persuasion that is a bit unfair Id say.
True it seems a bit unfair but don't forget how the overall voting system is heavily weighed against the Tories the way the boundaries are drawn up - much harder for a Tory to win than Labour, also normally far more people vote Tory than Labour yet Labour still get in (we are still paying for 13 years of cockups & extravagance nearly 5 years on!!)
I did say whatever your political persuasion.Tory's do not get voted for in Scotland these days in any large numbers,I don't think they had many more MPs up there when Thatcher was PM.The most they had was 21 but by 1987 that had dropped to just 10.Its been all downhill for them ever since.They currently have 1.Im not saying they cant get seats up there but there is no way Camerons mob will increase the total.Maybe if the Tories replaced him with somebody a bit more in touch they'd do better.I might even vote for them myself although they got a long way to go to get my vote ever again.Labour party dosent stand for what it used to up there either hence the success of the SNP.Some interesting times ahead me thinks.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

Interestingly, there was a quote before the referendum saying that a 16 year old elector in Scotland would have lived for 3/4 of their life under a Labour government...

In a democracy (or any other system of government really) you don't always get the government you want - even if you vote for them TBH... I don't recall anyone voting for a warmongering government when they elected Bliar.

As for the English Independance quip, it was tongue in cheek, but on the other hand, no one asked whether I wanted to be "United" with the land of Steve Evans etc. Deport them I say.