NL: Gateshead (H) 15 August 2023

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
McLeansvilleAppFan

Both clubs are sitting 0-1-1 with Gateshead going down 1-2 to Hartlepool. I think it best to not mention the showing the Daggers gave against Southend.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
A S dagger97

If there's any slight optimism it's the fact Oldham bounced back from their 4-0 mullering at the hands of Southend by winning 5-1 yesterday, so let's hope strevs can get this lot playing somewhat closer to what us supporters expect and brush this performance off ASAP, it looks like the midfield will need changing on Tuesday I certainly hope it is. I'd like to see lawless in there tbh from what I've seen from them all so far but as for the attack, I dont know what we will do in terms of linking midfield to Effiong up top because we've seen nothing really from Rees and Vincent in these first 2 matches, then if we get it wide Ibie doesn't look like he can be a big enough danger only on the odd occasion. All we can do is give Strevs a chance to figure something out now he has more of an idea of what he's working with.
"Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently"

Or in Dagenhams case, Terribly!
Mark

Can't see it getting better very quickly. Gateshead are very good on the ball and will move it quickly and make life very difficult for us.

If we are really wedded to this 352 I'd at least like to see Johnson, Weston and Lawless come in for Page, Kendall and Rees. I'd put Ibie up top with Inih. I wouldn't be surprised if Inih can't play tho, he looked like he was carrying something to me.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Not a lot of options have we .

The rather pathetic size of squad is already being proved to be a problem.

Take out Hare ,Paige, Hill and Ibie who i hear did not train last week. Tavares has not been used in the two games thus far when he looked a solution to the problems we came up against in both , Saturday especially and what are we left with.

Gateshead looked one of the most improved teams towards the backend of last season and walked past us up there, They gave us a game this time last year.

Expect the ineffective Weston to be restored out wide . We will craete a little more but dont see where the goals are coming from.

Close game with one goal either way could decidie it. Anybody else going for 0-0.

Of course if there is a couple of loans coming in that could change the situation.
Pablo

It was my understanding that it was Effiong who was ill all week rather than Ibie but insisted on playing anyway. Let's hope he has recovered by tomorrow or the cupboard would be bare indeed.
len

I would like Ibie to play up front supporting Effiong for a start, also give Lawless a go in midfield. Would anyone know the extent of the injuries to Page, Hare and Hill and how long they are likely to be out of action?
Diggerthedog

Hare could be 8 weeks or it could be the season, depends how a scan goes. Page has done a hamstring so could be a long one depending on severity. Hill was short term two weeks ago
len

That doesn't sound good, especially as we now have a much smaller squad, hopefully Ben has a plan B.
SUSSEX DAGGER

As i said we dont have many options do we.

You can add Travares to the list , ok it is clear it is only fitness but why has he not feautured . Last two games surely there was a case for him being introduced.

Mussa situation is another one .

Add in the reserve goalkeeper and that leaves to my recollection i stand to be corrected 14 outfield players.

From what i saw Saturday The Captain Goalkeeper was in the minority of players who could even pass the bloody ball perhaps giving him a go in midfield is an option.

What a bloody mess.
Pablo

My heart always sinks when I hear annually at pre season forums that managers( and I heard Burnet, Taylor and now Ben all say this) that they only want a tight and hungry squad of 18 players. And every year after half a dozen games - even less this year- we are reduced to struggling to field a team. We need 22 senior players at least plus some half competent kids as a minimum to start a season. I know it's hard keeping everybody happy but that's the reality season after season. In the current situation whatever the club's views or the player's views regarding Mussa, he is being paid and under contract and surely has to be in the squad tomorrow. He could hardly do worse than the midfielders on show on Saturday.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Pablo wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:58 pm My heart always sinks when I hear annually at pre season forums that managers( and I heard Burnet, Taylor and now Ben all say this) that they only want a tight and hungry squad of 18 players. And every year after half a dozen games - even less this year- we are reduced to struggling to field a team. We need 22 senior players at least plus some half competent kids as a minimum to start a season. I know it's hard keeping everybody happy but that's the reality season after season. In the current situation whatever the club's views or the player's views regarding Mussa, he is being paid and under contract and surely has to be in the squad tomorrow. He could hardly do worse than the midfielders on show on Saturday.
Agree Pablo but the reports i got from forum is that he is nowhere near fit enough. If that is the case it makes you wonder if he is in breech of his contract and should have been sacked. Clearly lack of fitness is not the only issue here and again discipline is part and parcel of being a footballer so again why is he not been disciplined.

If you agree with the principle of a small squad then surely those you do sign have to prove they can stand up to the demands.

This years signing from the glass factory is Paige an average of 10 games a season over 10 years says all you need to know . Why on earth with the philosophy did we even think about signing him.

Last year was Travares that you could add to Balanta .

The year before was Harold forgot his name now from Maidenhead.

Every year we do it and keep doing it
Mark

No issue with a smaller squad but as noted they have to be reliable with a long history of being injury free, and they have to be very good. Clubs have done it in the past but if course the league is now seemingly dominated by money clubs with 25+ players.

If Hare and Page are long term, we need more bodies. Seems DLK is injured again too, another one with a less than good injury record who we handed a two year deal to when he was already carrying a hernia.
jag

I have decided not to come to the Gateshead game but can anybody tell me if the Mixir will be on for the commentary, why do we not get this info in advance not just SOMETIMES on the day, I have attempted in the past to subscribe to the National League to view our games but they say this is for overseas supporters however in Saturdays programme it sounds like we will be able to subscribe can anyone clear this up as I am very confused.
Diggerthedog

jag wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:53 pm I have decided not to come to the Gateshead game but can anybody tell me if the Mixir will be on for the commentary, why do we not get this info in advance not just SOMETIMES on the day, I have attempted in the past to subscribe to the National League to view our games but they say this is for overseas supporters however in Saturdays programme it sounds like we will be able to subscribe can anyone clear this up as I am very confused.
National league TV is available to watch in the UK for midweek games only, out of bands at weekends due the 3pm live ban.
Diggerthedog

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:15 pm
Pablo wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:58 pm My heart always sinks when I hear annually at pre season forums that managers( and I heard Burnet, Taylor and now Ben all say this) that they only want a tight and hungry squad of 18 players. And every year after half a dozen games - even less this year- we are reduced to struggling to field a team. We need 22 senior players at least plus some half competent kids as a minimum to start a season. I know it's hard keeping everybody happy but that's the reality season after season. In the current situation whatever the club's views or the player's views regarding Mussa, he is being paid and under contract and surely has to be in the squad tomorrow. He could hardly do worse than the midfielders on show on Saturday.
Agree Pablo but the reports i got from forum is that he is nowhere near fit enough. If that is the case it makes you wonder if he is in breech of his contract and should have been sacked. Clearly lack of fitness is not the only issue here and again discipline is part and parcel of being a footballer so again why is he not been disciplined.

If you agree with the principle of a small squad then surely those you do sign have to prove they can stand up to the demands.

This years signing from the glass factory is Paige an average of 10 games a season over 10 years says all you need to know . Why on earth with the philosophy did we even think about signing him.

Last year was Travares that you could add to Balanta .

The year before was Harold forgot his name now from Maidenhead.

Every year we do it and keep doing it
Mussa was not invited back for training and told to find another club, as soon as it was unlikely anyone would pay a lazy self interested moron £2k a week he had to come back claiming mental health issues. If we’re not interested in playing him just pay him off, not sure why the current manager is at fault and being punished for the previous regimes wrongdoings and not being allowed to use that part of the budget which would be two decent players.

Strevs had managed to clear out all the high earners and still gets a crap budget, play off talk is nonsense when we lose out on signings to the likes of Aldershot and Boreham Wood, not signing Appiah was a huge error.

The problem here is the budget and the salaries now expected at national league level, perhaps we should go part time and be half decent like Wealdstone where you can pick the best of the part time players and not pick up the dregs of the full time ones, heard their budget is around £6-700k. Did anyone actually ask the owners what the budget was at the forum or how much it’s been reduced by? I know McMahon was given ridiculous amounts so it must be much much less.

Even after two games I regret getting a season ticket, had I known about the flexi thing I would have gone for that instead. Please win tomorrow, but as said already Gateshead keep and pass the ball for fun on a much smaller budget, could get embarrassing.