Northampton Thread

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
matt_drfc

"Continues to go long" was you there last week? Because the passing was superb. If we were doing it every week then I'd be concerned, but sometimes it is just needed when we can't break a team down. We aren't the best team in this league, so we are going to struggle against teams like Northampton, it happens, we can't win/draw every game :roll:
Mark

I like Boucaud but he didn't play well today. I think most of the team were guilty of not finding enough passes forward but lots of people were off their game and Northampton were much sharper and worked hard, so that's probably why. In contrast at Oxford last week he bossed the game and moved us up the pitch very well.
leewilson

Boucard is an interesting one. A Notts County fan told me as we signed him that he is one of the best 'footballers' he's seen play for them but he is not particularly good at the rough part of the game. In a two man midfield, he is lost apparently. If you build the team around him, he is very effective.

From what, I've seen so far, I completely agree with that. He is fantastic on the ball in terms of his touch and the way it seems to stick to his feet. Technically an excellent player. He's not going to dribble past 2 or 3 or be box to box but he is a fantastic metronome for a passing team to have. And that is what Wayne is developing us into. I actually think Boucard is better suited to playing away from home. The Oxford game summed it up as I thought he bossed it. He drops between the lines to pick the ball up and is very good at getting us moving forward. It's easy to say he goes sideways or backwards as a cheap shot but he allows for angles to be created that we wouldn't normally exploit. For instance, at Oxford he dropped in and received the ball back to goal. He was pressured immediately by 2 and most others in our team would have panicked and just hit an aimless long ball. He calmly turned away from danger, hit a 20 yard wide ball to Partridge, who then in turn quickly found Cureton on the move and we nearly made something from the whole move.

I do think Boucard is an easy one to pick out because he's not great out of possession and he doesn't have an engine. But I actually think he's crucial to the way Wayne wants us to play in terms of retaining possession and working the opposition. Providing we keep Ogogo and Howell fit to do the legwork, he'll continue to be effective.

As it was, Howell had a stinker today. Hopefully a one off as I think he's been much better this season. He is painfully slow though.

Partridge had his worst game for us today but is another one who I think will be crucial to us in the long run as he is a very good passer of the ball. If Batt ends up making the right back slot his own, I wouldn't mind us having a look at Partridge in midfield. He seems to have a good link with Cureton and his ability to pick out a ball could be useful in that position. I'm not sure positionally how he'd get on mind but it's one to consider for the future perhaps.

Porter was my biggest disappointment today. An opportunity to stake a claim for a run in the team, which is imperative considering he's on a short term deal and he offered very little. On the ball, all he had was pace. No tricks or feints, just straight running and attempting to cross. The full back had it far too easy. Defensively, he wasn't anywhere close to supporting Partridge. On that evidence, he won't be here beyond Christmas.
Dagger In The Heart

I'm not surprised at all with the way we bossed Oxford around last week and then more hoofy today. I don't think our pitch is the right dimensions for the style WB is trying to implement and I've thought as much for a while. On a much bigger, wider pitch like at the Kassam, we have more space and the style comes into its own. Hence Boucaud, central to the WB style, more effective last week.

Clearly we have no method of making the pitch any bigger and wider, so in my view the style will never completely work at home as its too easy for teams to come to us and sit, no space to pull them about. As much as I favour the style WB is implementing, it may be that a slight rethink is in order.
ThatRoundThing

Dagger In The Heart wrote:I'm not surprised at all with the way we bossed Oxford around last week and then more hoofy today. I don't think our pitch is the right dimensions for the style WB is trying to implement and I've thought as much for a while. On a much bigger, wider pitch like at the Kassam, we have more space and the style comes into its own. Hence Boucaud, central to the WB style, more effective last week.

Clearly we have no method of making the pitch any bigger and wider, so in my view the style will never completely work at home as its too easy for teams to come to us and sit, no space to pull them about. As much as I favour the style WB is implementing, it may be that a slight rethink is in order.
Please Admin/ Moderator can you please delete Dagger In The Hearts account, I wasn't aware that talking sense was allowed on this forum . joking aside, I seem to recall about a season plus ago that Sussex and I thought the very same in that better away performances than those at home could be attributed to pitch size.
Adrian armed with slide rule, calculator and wilkipedia convinced us otherwise.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Many things are not what they look in life and there may only be slight variations in actual pitch sizes but the optical illusion of certain things do have an effect.

Added to this I also attribute a lot to the fact that when Away from home we do not have to force the issue. Burton away we kept passession very we'll first half and waited to spring. This is easier to do when you have not got the crowd on your back to get forward quicker.

Whatever way you slice it our away form has been well above average since Wayne took charge, perhaps this is due to our more patient approach. There has to be a reason for it
Diggerthedog

Wayne in interview with RadioStu for bbc London a good listen regarding Gayle. The kid who came on played for the youth team in the morning :shock:
FullMetalDagger

not the best game, willing to put it behind and concentrate on getting points against Cambridge.

have to say though, after a couple of pretty good performances the crowd reception for the team was below lukewarm and i know it's a subject done to death but once again i hear Northamptons fans from halfway down Vicky road. How long are we going to let way teams fans have a home advantage?

what's it gonna be like for Southend or Orient? even if our home fans are in fine voice that day it'll be wasted by having a big wall of away fans at one end of the pitch.
Pondfield Dagger

the 2nd goal from the corner- shouldn't we have had more players in the box? watch it on youtube.. just 5 and the keeper.. the other 5? 1 closing down the corner, 1 on edge of area, and 3 near centre circle.

in the john still days didn't we have everyone back in the box and just left up 1 up front near centre circe, i'm sure we let in a lot less goals at corners than we do now...
Diggerthedog

Pondfield Dagger wrote:the 2nd goal from the corner- shouldn't we have had more players in the box? watch it on youtube.. just 5 and the keeper.. the other 5? 1 closing down the corner, 1 on edge of area, and 3 near centre circle.

in the john still days didn't we have everyone back in the box and just left up 1 up front near centre circe, i'm sure we let in a lot less goals at corners than we do now...
We had everyone back under Still and people moaned. Can have as many as you want back but if one person does not do their job like Gayle yesterday it does not matter how many you have back.
Adrian

People used to moan about having everyone back, but we still rarely conceded from corners.
If we'd had a few more players in the box, we could have had someone on the post that would have been able to block the second fairly easily.

Leaving 3 up that early is just a bit weird.
matt_drfc

Diggerthedog wrote:Wayne in interview with RadioStu for bbc London a good listen regarding Gayle. The kid who came on played for the youth team in the morning :shock:
Very interesting re Gayle, thought he did ok bar the goal. Here's the interview https://audioboo.fm/boos/2455959-dag_re ... ne-burnett
Diggerthedog

matt_drfc wrote:
Diggerthedog wrote:Wayne in interview with RadioStu for bbc London a good listen regarding Gayle. The kid who came on played for the youth team in the morning :shock:
Very interesting re Gayle, thought he did ok bar the goal. Here's the interview https://audioboo.fm/boos/2455959-dag_re ... ne-burnett
His distribution was not what Wayne expects, little chips into the forwards or channels is not the way he was told to play is my guess.
matt_drfc

Diggerthedog wrote:
matt_drfc wrote:
His distribution was not what Wayne expects, little chips into the forwards or channels is not the way he was told to play is my guess.
Yeah I noticed in the first half he seemed panicky and was looking to just get rid most of the time, Boucaud was screaming at him at times to give him the ball. But that will come more in training and if he plays more games..
Dagger In The Heart

I got massively frustrated by Gayle. Spent 5 seconds with his head up, before the large majority of the time then deciding to pass sideways to Saah (who wasn't much better mind, one time I remember nearly ran into 3 of their players), when as has been alluded to Boucaud was usually in buses of space.