Northampton Thread

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Lcbdagger

No long basis then???? No chance sadly... would be depressing if it wasn't so obvious today
leewilson

I'm sure there will be moans and groans tonight but that result made sense really. Northampton had a lot of experience out there. We had a patched up side. Gutted as ever to lose but I understand why we lost today. On to the next one.
FullMetalDagger

leewilson wrote:I'm sure there will be moans and groans tonight but that result made sense really. Northampton had a lot of experience out there. We had a patched up side. Gutted as ever to lose but I understand why we lost today. On to the next one.
sensible assessment
Adrian

We lost because we have no plan B, have brought in several players that just don't really do much, and still can't defend set pieces properly.
Richie

The set-piece situation is ridiculous. How many times!?

But as for the match I thought we were "okay" - Cureton definitely didn't have his shooting boots on but I thought Gayle looked decent enough to be a 3rd choice centre back and also thought that Green had something about him when he came on.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Mmmmmm. Liked what we were trying to do but never had the Personel to execute it.

Thought Hemmings and Porter did ok .

Shocking defending again cost us,Partridge lack of pace that was always a concearn was exposed for the first but surely somebody should have been tracking the Scorer who was allowed all the time in the World to take dead aim.

The second was a complete joke and surely now is the time is to take action. This has gone on long enough
goal after goal is going in and nothing changes.

Injuries in vital areas were a major blow could not even fill the bench. All our injuries appear to occur in non competitive circumstances which is so frustrating.

Fair play to Northampton who are by far the best team we have played this season. They are surely going to finish there or there abouts. Did not happen for us today we can have no complaints.
Diggerthedog

Wayne said in the week we have not conceded direct from a corner this season, very tactical use of direct :roll: Gayle got blasted for his lack of marking on the corner and is yet to learn you can rugby tackle on corners at this level all out opponents do it.

With all the players we have to come back into the side I'm not to disheartened, we can do better and will. Glorious chance for Goldberg late in the game and fluffed his lines. You would have fancied Cureton to take one of his chances the one early The second half he scuffed wide should have done better. Partridge was left exposed by Porter who to me seems lazy and explains his length of contract.

Hope Doe is fit next week, and Batt did ok at LB certainly better than Connors has done this season.
Adrian

Looking at players individually,

O'Brien - didn't have much to do really and not much chance with either goal. I'ma little surprised that the usual suspects are laying into him for his kicking though
Partridge - largely did ok, offered more going forward than some
Gayle - did ok, not sure why he'd be picked out over anyone else for the second - it's just a constant theme now.
Saah - did ok,
Batt - did ok, also offered something going forward
Boucaud - very good at picking up loose balls and then passing it sideways or backwards. Too slow and offers too little going forward
Ogogo - usual hard-working performance
Howell - worked hard, but couldn't get much right going forward
Porter - waste of space. Goes nowhere with the ball, goes down too easily, doesn't work hard enough
Hemmings - tries, but isn't all that
Cureton - the one bit of class we have, but couldn't get much right today

Subs
Green - dunno really
Goldberg - no idea why he's been slagged off elsewhere. Got a couple of decent balls in and at least got into decent positions, despite seeming to be playing well behind Cureton
Bloomfield - no idea what the point of sending the kid on in injury time was

Serious questions need to be asked as to why we are still poor from set pieces at both ends.
Richie

[quote="Adrian"]Looking at players individually,

Boucaud - very good at picking up loose balls and then passing it sideways or backwards. Too slow and offers too little going forward
Hemmings - tries, but isn't all that

Agreed on Andre, would rather a fully fit Bingham. Disagree on Hemmings, I'm a big fan of his although using his right foot once in a while wouldn't go amiss
Adrian

Hemmings is ok, he's just lacking in end product for me. First half today he got into a position to get the ball in, but instead tried to keep going and was tackled fairly easily.
Diggerthedog

It Boucards job to set up the play and give the ball to players who will do the rest. He plays deep and is unlikely to be much of an attacking force playing so deep.
Adrian

Diggerthedog wrote:It Boucards job to set up the play and give the ball to players who will do the rest. He plays deep and is unlikely to be much of an attacking force playing so deep.
So we have a player who doesn't win the ball from the opposition and just gives the ball to other players to do all the hard work.
If he passed the ball 60 times today, maybe 2 of them went forward and got anything going.
Bingham would play deep but could still get things going, Boucaud just doesn't. If anything he slows us down, and that's when we're at our worst.
matt_drfc

Wasn't a terrible performance, Northampton were just a lot better than us, they'll be right up there this season. We did seem to run out of ideas at times and there was a lack of movement compared to other weeks. Must be confusing for the players when they hear "Get it forward quick - no, don't lump it, pass it" in the same sentence lol, but Considering we had Doe, Connors, Bingham, Chambers, Hines, Murphy, Doidge all missing, it wasn't THAT bad, we'll be fine this season.

Noticed in recent weeks the defensive work that Chambers does, when Partridge goes forward he always goes to RB, if he's not involved in the attack obviously, Porter didn't do that today so we were exposed.. Thought Gayle looked more comfortable as the game went on, he's a good 3rd choice CB to have for sure, but we did miss Doey. Look forward to next week now, hopefully a better result!
matt_drfc

Boucaud actually got us out of a few situations today, he's one player that isn't scared to take the ball, but the CBs didn't give the ball to him enough in the right positions, Doey is good at that, he actually knows when to give it to Boucaud and when not to. Northampton just really got in our faces high up the pitch and didn't give us much time on the ball, which is all credit to them, but Boucaud has been good this season and allows Abs and Howelly to get forward.
redboy

I think that a few of you were at a different game to me today. Maybe because it was just deja vu in terms of countless games last season. When will we ever learn from our mistakes. Conceding early, pushing too many forward, defending corners particularly the far post, long balls to midgets etc etc. Northampton passed the ball better than us and never really looked that threatened. As usual they were physically bigger and stronger than us. Cresswell just strolled through the match. Putting injuries aside, we weren't competitive enough and I fear we will see plenty more games like that whilst Wayne continues to play midgets and go long.