Waynes World

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

This really now is his team and today for the third game in a row we saw something that is at the least very exciting.

Some of our play going forward was at times something to behold .Oxford at the seasons end will be at least top half and at times we opened them up as easy as a tin can

Sadly you have to get it right at both ends of the pitch and our defending has once again cost us dearly . All three goals are an absolute joke,one of which we have no control over.

We would have won in a canter this afternoon with a left back. If I thought he had any chance of playing I would plead with Wayne to pull him out of the Eire under 21s because the Germans will eat him for breakfast.

Another shocking performance that really was sad to watch. The kid don't know at the moment if it is Bedtime or Breakfast and I am now more then convinced that he is the main reason of why our defence is getting pulled all over the place.

Wayne must have got the message of what the faithful felt as the cheers when he was finally put out of his misery and pulled off was a little embarrassing. Because of this Matt Partridge ,who was having another good game at right back, had to switch and being that yard sort of pace endured a wretched last 20 minutes on the wrong foot.

Our defending is depressing me and Wayne has to get a left back in as a matter of urgency if Green is not ready yet. Frankly Jack Connors in his current form and stae of mind is a complete liability.

Now lets turn to the positives, unless I have completely missed something the penalty decision is a shocker. For the sake of sanity I really do hope I have missed something because from were I am standing their player is leaning all into Scott Doe and errrrr fell down. If I am right then we have a strong shout in saying we were robbed.

To be behind twice and get a result is a fantastic effort. Once again Jamie Cureton showed he was miles ahead of anybody else on the pitch when it comes to anticipation, his movement throughout was a joy to watch. It seems that Matt Partridge is on his wavelength as his role in the move that finished with Hemmings smashing into the net after great movement by Cureton can not be understated. My only concearn about Matt Partridge is the yard of pace he lacks, he had another good game going forward but defensively he was always 48/52 against his opponent.

Curetons goal is simply top class finishing and if we continue to play this formation it will surely only be because of the age factor that gives Rhys Murphy any hope of getting a kick, he is a class apart in this league.

Abs Goal was just one of them moments , he perhaps learnt something when the master visited our drum last year. A simply sensational goal that is worth staying up for on the fls tonight.

Three goals scored but some of our play deserved so much more and with a bit more luck we could have had six, on three occasions in the first half we just missed the target with the Goalkeeper rooted.

A excellent Daggers performance which to my mind deserved more then what we got, lets hope we continue in this vein and don't sacrifice our pleasing to the eye style because of our obvious defensive frailties. Really think this team is geling now and is going places.
Last edited by SUSSEX DAGGER on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Can't disagree with much of that. I know I've harped on about it but we should never have let femi go. Jack is all over the show at the moment.

I like the way we are playing going forward, the tempo and urge to move up the pitch are miles better than the first couple of games. Cureton is excellent but let's not forget just how good Murphy is. We could have 2 top class options.

I'm quite surprised by Chambers at the moment. He's showing quality to match his endeavour which tbh I didn't think he had in him.

I think part of our defensive frailty is caused by the way we set up. Howell and abu are much more attacking at the moment now Boucaud sits deeper. As good as he is on the ball, Boucaud cannot defend. He is frequently the wrong side and doesn't have pace to recover. Don't get me wrong, he is a joy to watch but he won't be breaking up any attacks or following his man into our box. Hemmings also has a tendency to ball-watch which leaves us overloaded.
Diggerthedog

I did not attend yesterday so won't comment on the game but we are Liverpool of last season and will just out score teams this season to win games.

What is the matter with Jack Connors he was good last season but this season has been terrible, carry or knock or out on this beers? Agree with Mark on this Bouchard super with the ball but not defence minded at all.

With Rhys and Zavon out we have scored 14 in 6 games this season never in a million years would I have thought that. Heard Rhys has had a set back too and another few weeks yet.
OBD

Connors has looked shot on confidence since he missed the penalty against Brentford, young players are inconsistent and we shouldn't forget he's only 19. A constant stream of criticism on the internet and a barrage of howls and jeers at games (especially at home) aren't going to bring his confidence levels back up, a bit of support and he might get back to where he was last season.
@OfficialBigDave
ARNU

OBD wrote:Connors has looked shot on confidence since he missed the penalty against Brentford, young players are inconsistent and we shouldn't forget he's only 19. A constant stream of criticism on the internet and a barrage of howls and jeers at games (especially at home) aren't going to bring his confidence levels back up, a bit of support and he might get back to where he was last season.
Then its managements job to protect him and take him out for a bit till he meets the required standard.Wayne obviously believes in the guy but the player has to pay back that loyalty.We all want him to do well after all.I have never been that impressed with him and so remain to be convinced.There is no other fit credible alternative at the moment but as soon as there is one he'll lose his place.Should never have got rid of Femi,not that he didnt have any faults but Connors wasn't and still isnt a patch on him.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

Partridge will play LB next week, be interesting to see if Jack gets back in the side straight away when he's back from ROI u21s..

Teams are clearly targeting Jack now, yesterday Oxford tried to get at him down their right hand side and barring the first goal he did ok, then they changed it and attacked down their left to get crosses in for Danny Hylton who they put on Jack and that's how their second goal came about, Wayne obviously saw this, made the change and put Partridge there and he dealt well with it. Last year teams couldn't be sure if we'd play Femi or Jack so they couldn't 100% target Jack, unlike this season where we all pretty much know he is the only natural left back who will start, but Wayne has said Green is better defensively than both Femi and Jack, and Jack is better technically than the 2, so hopefully we will see Green at some point, but I doubt it just yet...
leewilson

For what it's worth, I do think it was the right decision to let Femi go. He was only getting worse himself. The problem has been the lack of replacement. I don't know what is in the budget but I think it'd be more profitable to have Connors or Green out on loan with a more experienced left back in.

Partridge is a very good footballer. I agree with Sussex's views about him lacking a yard of pace. However, I can deal with that considering the pinpoint passes he so often plays into Chambers or Cureton. Imagine Femi attempting to play some of the passes Partridge does and it just shows you the difference a good footballer can make. However, you saw his discomfort when he had to go across to the left on his wrong foot. It will do for one week but ultimately, I don't want Partridge to become our left back as it's all square pegs in round holes otherwise. Plus, he'll end up copping a bit of flak when little errors creep in to an unfamiliar position.

Special little mention to Andre Boucard as well. Excellent at not panicking in possession and allows us to get our shape rather than just chipping a 30 yard ball into the channel to give possession away cheaply. Alongside this, he's allowing Howell to get forward a bit more again which is starting to bring the best back out of him after an average season last time out.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Surely a short term loan to fill a void that is the main reason why we did not win yesterday is a must.

Bar Morecambe is it only me that feels we have done enough to win every league game this season and a left back that is solid if not spectacular would have assured this.

All of our defensive problems in open play at least is coming from our weakness in this area.

How gutting must it be for our offensive players to watch this continued shambles at the back.

Oh and after looking at it again obviously something did happen at the penalty, we were standing at the opposite angle to the camera,but was it a penalty ?, still not convinced.
radiostu

Jack Connors is a top prospect and a player that will have clubs reaching for their Cheque Books in the future, yes he's having a rough patch at present, seems to be lacking concentration / confidence.
Always a tough call as to whether he "plays through" this period, or is rested.
Matt Partidge has been excellent at right back and has also had a hand in Daggers Goals too , not so comfortable at Left Back but can play in the Centre ( where he has covered across several times recently a la Danny Foster ).
When Batt came on against his old club, he certainly enjoyed his forays forward.
Saw Green in pre-season, looks pretty strong and maybe he will be introduced into a re- shaped back four such as Batt or Partridge, Partridge or Saah, Doe, Green or Connors. There's a few choices for you to ponder, but it would be tough on Partridge to drop out as he's been close to MOM in last few games.

Keep the ball in opposition half, and Daggers should do well.