Signage

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Just posted on the Vindelot forum and just thought id put this out there on here so someone actually reads it....

To encourage new custom/fans to come and see the Daggers and maybe even support them....

Why isn't there big signage at the Eastbrook Pub,The Bull Pub,Rush green tavern(whatever its called these days) and along the main roads near the ground even highlighting theres a football club dwelling nearby ?? Why isn't there a big sign opposite the station entrance and in it and on the platform stating next game against so and so at such and such a time and date ?? What about window posters for local shops advertising next game etc...My feeling is that you cant have too many signs and posters.I see very few near the ground and none elsewhere.Its been a while since I travelled up the district line but Im sure as you pass thru Upton Park station there are signs saying "Upton park Home of West Ham United".Is there a similar Daggers sign on Dagenham East,Heathway,Becontree or even Elm Park to that effect.Obviously Elm Park could have "Next stop Dagenham East, Home of the Daggers" or something.

Im not sure any of you would think its a bad idea so why don't I see much evidence of this near or around the ground ?? Gotta be cheaper in the long run than giving all your die hard supporters half price season tickets.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
steeevooo

I seem to recall that when the current brown signs were put up that they were the largest signs that the council would allow us.
Regarding having a big sign at the end of Victoria Road advertising next opposition etc - where would you put it?
In terms of signage along the District Line, to be honest I can't see TfL agreeing to advertising - we've got a sign inside the station offering directions to the ground, but I can't imagine that TfL would allow us to effectively re-brand the platform as "Dagenham East - home of the Daggers".

Good ideas, and I agree that we do need to do more on the publicity front and making more local people aware, but it's not as easy as you make it all sound!
dagger4eva

The club do a great job of producing match day posters - or recently posters containing details of upcoming home games for the month ahead.

I know for a fact these are readily available for collection at the ground in order for fans to be distributed and put up in shops etc. (not that this fact is advertised)

I've also suggested a couple of times to the club that these same posters are made downloadable via the website for people to simply print off and distribute. Am still waiting for this to happen.........
NickMurphy

I like the idea of having a fixtures board sort of thing at the top of Victoria Road if it was at all possible, "Next Fixture Against So and So on whatever date".

Not sure how viable it is but it's a decent idea.
ARNU

I drive past Ebbsfleet Utd quite a lot and although the ground and area is a bit of a toilet there is no mistaking when or who Ebbsfleet are playing next.Its not that hard Im sure,to get a few signs put up.Wave a few quid at TFL/London Underground whoever,I mean its not like they don't do ads on the underground is it ???? Even amateurish Sandwich boards would be a start.
Dagdale

Good point to raise Arnu, why can't the club or for that matter 1,500 ish dagger fans (whip round maybe?) buy that commercial cleaning shop on the corner of Vic Road, I often talk about it as 'Broom hole corner', never ever seen any body in there, maybe just a storage shop but its right on main road Rainham Road South and a great spot for people looking over from buses, cars etc and make it our club shop, surely it would be far better than that portacabin in the perimeter of ground and can you imagine what big red signage on front could do for the club there! Remember there's a new boozer going to be built down on May Baker site and that's got potential on outside facade as well, that hopefully would be set on the main road, sorry the Bull pub further down is gone, another really good spot would be ASDA's at Romford, bang central area there and potential viewing would be enormous, don't large retail companies like helping the community, and a lot of daggers use it. Looking at it you're right, somebody needs to get off their butt and do a bit more to broaden our horizons!
Last edited by Dagdale on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulHornchurch

Speak to the club, they were advertising in the summer for new commercial staff, not sure if someone has started, but it's a project they should attack
Richie

I'd imagine it comes down to cost. I imagine advertising on the Underground costs alot
ARNU

Richie wrote:I'd imagine it comes down to cost. I imagine advertising on the Underground costs alot
Speculate to accumulate.Maybe the sponsors who paid for the clubs jolly to Spain could chip in.Not that it would be necessary,this is basic common sense and would not cost a great deal.A monkey could do it.

Right what about a ******** great flag hanging off Golds Gym ???

Im wasted talent.
SUSSEX DAGGER

You will be told Stop whingeing Arnu.

If you want better information about our Team Friend do what I was told, Go and visit other Clubs websites.

Heavens you be asking for a roof next.
ThatRoundThing

The club used to put adverts in the paper which covered a large area of population, the 103 bus that starts at Rainham and must carry a huge amount of people over the course of the year churns out "Victoria Road, alight here for Dagenham & Redbridge".
My view is that we are what we are and unless we ever get a cup draw against a "top club" aka MK Dons, then our attendances are by and large going to stay much the same.
I think most people in a 10 mile radius of the ground are aware of the football club, it's just that they just don't want to come here.
dagger4eva

There certainly is a big element of people simply not wanting to come and probably for a variety of reasons:

Expense
Results (generally the last few seasons)
Glamour games / ties. Long gone are the days when,for us, a game against Exeter, Plymouth or the like are a crowd puller. Was only what, 10 odd years again that drawing these sort of teams would have generated all kinds of interest.

I would also find it remarkable if anyone into their football within say 5-10 mile radius DIDNT know that either a) the club existed b) where the ground was and c) who we are playing on any given saturday.

This backed uo even more by all the free advertising the club also gets, upcoming fixtures in all the national papers & on things like sky sports news.
Our games are also clearly marked on every single bookmakers footy coupon in the country.

Thats not of course to say we shouldnt continue to do everything possible to get the crowds up and l think u actually have something with your giant fixture board close to the ground.....
ARNU

Last edited by ARNU on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARNU

My business would fold if I didn't have an organised program of advertisement.Im totally sure of that.As figures/trade/custom drops (And believe me the last 4 years have been difficult)for me to not have done what I've done RE adverting would have seen me out of business.I just hit an area with leaflets 5000 costs £60,I deliver them myself to keep costs down.It ALWAYS reaps reward.For every 100 I put out 40% go straight in the bin unread but of the 60% that do get read,about 3 of them actually respond with an order in my case.Why do you think you get the same Pizza/Curry house/Chinese leaflets thru your door all the time ? Because even if they have a 2% success rate its worthwhile.If the pizza place puts out 50,000 flyers and gets just 2% response all spending a tenner you do the math.(I am not in the food delivery industry by the way)

Obviously the more attractive your offer the better your chances.
Chigwellian

Half the catchment area isnt even targeted (Redbridge, Waltham Forest and Epping Forest)- an area with quite a high population .... and the club dont even attempt to get these people.