Contracted players

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
len

It is now evident to Ben Strevens that some players should go and equally he needs to sign a number to stenghten the squad. Would be interested to know if anyone has information as to what players we have contracted beyond this season.
RayleighDagger1986

Im sure there was a post on here last summer on the same topic and it listed those under contract. Ill see if I can find it
Mark

Players under contract until 2024 I believe as follows:

Balanta
Johnson
Effiong
Onariase
Phipps
Justham
Mussa
Longe King
Tavares

We also have a 1 year option on Ibie.

I am almost certain we'll look to find new homes for Balanta and Mussa.

I think he'll definitely look to keep Hare and Ling, and possibly Sagaf. Can't see anyone else being offered a deal. Not sure I'd even keep Hare, Ling would be my starting right back in a rebuilt team.
len

Thanks for that, I must say that Balanta although talented , is a luxury player who is very injury prone and is not ideal for a pressing game as Strevens wants to play. The other one who has been disappointing is Mussa,again looks talented but lacking in endeavour and just simply not playing the easy ball and often getting caught.
Lcbdagger

Heard a rumour during the week Mussa is off back to Belgium and Robbo was offered new terms but on reduced wages for next season... Real shame, if true on Robinson. Would have preferred to let him go entirely if that was the decision to stay afresh rather than keep him on lower money after the goals last season and him playing his heart out for us.

Amazed, after this year is some agreement isn't made on Balanta to let him look elsewhere. I'm astonished we could have Johnson anywhere near a starting XI next year with all the improvements we need.

Not a terrible look having Phipps here if he gets a whole season in him but a huge worry, with our defence that 4 of the players under contract to 2024 are centte backs.

Personally would like to see Sagaf and Ling stay (playing on the right in a back 4)... was Ben the Manager still when we took Hare or was that after? Is he a fan??
NBDag

Mark wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:00 pm Players under contract until 2024 I believe as follows:

Balanta
Johnson
Effiong
Onariase
Phipps
Justham
Mussa
Longe King
Tavares

We also have a 1 year option on Ibie.

I am almost certain we'll look to find new homes for Balanta and Mussa.

I think he'll definitely look to keep Hare and Ling, and possibly Sagaf. Can't see anyone else being offered a deal. Not sure I'd even keep Hare, Ling would be my starting right back in a rebuilt team.
Balanta - ditch
Johnson - ditch
Effiong - keep but look to strengthen
Onariase - keep but look to strengthen
Phipps - keep but look to strengthen
Justham - keep
Mussa - ditch
Longe King - ditch
Tavares - Why we haven’t used that new contract clause to ditch already is beyond me

Then try to re-sign Ling and Sagaf. But Sagaf 100% will not want to stay, I’d like Robbo to stay too but I can’t see him going for it. Either way he shouldn’t be a guaranteed starter next year
IanC

i’d keep manny and phipps for cover, keep lingy but other than that we need a completely new back four.
They are just not good enough for this level in their play or decision making, hence the pens yesterday.
We need inny up top not out wide, so we need someone out there, so bye angelo sadly,
We need a major clear out but the rabble who are running this club ain’t gonna oblige are they.
Where we are in the league now, will be a major achievement next season for us, and sadly like all shit clubs in this league, off field management has been dire and that area needs new blood too i’m afraid.
Apologies for long post 😡
Mark

The new contract injury clauses will only apply to new contracts signed after this season (from 1 July onwards I think?). Many other clubs have stated they will not be making use of it too, which may see us lose out on signings if we don't follow suit.

Personally I think Ling and Manny are both good enough to start for a team competing for promotion. Manny for me has been very good since McMahon left and we moved to a proper back 4. Ling has been asked to play all over the show but has previously won this division as a starter at right back.

Phipps I am glad is under contract but he does make too many errors that lead to goals, particularly losing his man on set pieces or letting people run off him in the box. So I don't think realistically he can be a starter.

DLK is not good enough as a defender and has done a job in central mid but let's be honest he can't do that in a team that's going to challenge. I'd be looking to find him a new home if possible.

Johnson is adequate but again I don't think he can be a starter. He might be too expensive to keep as backup, so another one who we might try to move on.

Trouble is we're unlikely to find clubs who will take our contracted players on the same money, so we're inevitably going to have to either keep them or pay them a severance which will impact the budget available for new players.
NBDag

Apparently Scunthorpe were willing to pay Dean Rance £1,500 a week. So ditching the likes of Johnson might not be too hard to do if we find more dumb buyers like that out there
Mark

That is a very fair point. But note how we originally announced Rance had left the club by mutual consent and he signed for Scunthorpe the next day. Wouldn't be surprised if we were daft enough to pay him off first.
IanC

Does a bear 🐻 shit in the woods 🤦‍♂️
Diggerthedog

NBDag wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:48 pm Apparently Scunthorpe were willing to pay Dean Rance £1,500 a week. So ditching the likes of Johnson might not be too hard to do if we find more dumb buyers like that out there
The £10k bonus for keeping them up also helped, won’t be getting that lol. Why an earth did we even agree to pay Rance £1200 per week when we released him last summer? Oh I know he’s best buddies with Daryl. Great scrutiny on that deal from the MD.
Blue Hoops

Keep Justham. The rest…………bye, You can’t believe how bad and how far from the standard you need to win this league the rest of these players are.
GNB

Really worried when you see what positions we have players for next season.
Looks like we will need 8 or 9 new starters.
Cannot play with the defence that is contracted for next season.
No midfielders signed on.
Would keep Ibie, if we do have an option.
Diggerthedog

Robbo confirmed he is off and I heard Balanta too as his deal was an option on the final
Year. Saving some serious wages this summer.