Scunthorpe United (H) screeds here

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
McLeansvilleAppFan

Note the alliterative use of screed. I need tedium in the posts about the fixture.

3 points here seem very doable. COYD

Speaking of tedium, my area has been having low temps below freezing the last week. Sure I enjoy the brisk walk from the car park to my classroom each morning but I always worry about my cat not coming inside at night. I’ll be in Boone, NC for one last gridiron football game on Saturday and might get into some snow. I notice greater London still has lows in the high single digits (C) so no frost yet over there. Personally, I love the cold, except for having to scrape the ice off the windows of my car in the morning. I have found that a credit card is the perfect ice scraper. And it is free. I wonder how much less mileage an EV car gets by running the heat in winter? Speaking of EV cars it looks like Twitter is about to implode. Musk is such a man-child. It would be funny if he lost control of Tesla over this. Isambard Kingdom Brunel Might be the most interesting name ever. I assume that is where Brunel shipping gets its name. The Daggers should play a fixture on the deck of a Brunel container ship. That would one way to bring in the Daggers sponsor. In a very intimate manner. Of corse west and Coe would have a harder time doing something like this and being respectful. One other thing ….Zzzzzzz.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
RM1Dagger

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:56 am Note the alliterative use of screed. I need tedium in the posts about the fixture.

Speaking of tedium, my area has been having low temps below freezing the last week. Sure I enjoy the brisk walk from the car park to my classroom each morning but I always worry about my cat not coming inside at night. I’ll be in Boone, NC for one last gridiron football game on Saturday and might get into some snow. I notice greater London still has lows in the high single digits (C) so no frost yet over there. Personally, I love the cold, except for having to scrape the ice off the windows of my car in the morning. I have found that a credit card is the perfect ice scraper. And it is free. I wonder how much less mileage an EV car gets by running the heat in winter? Speaking of EV cars it looks like Twitter is about to implode. Musk is such a man-child. It would be funny if he lost control of Tesla over this. Isambard Kingdom Brunel Might be the most interesting name ever. I assume that is where Brunel shipping gets its name. The Daggers should play a fixture on the deck of a Brunel container ship. That would one way to bring in the Daggers sponsor. In a very intimate manner. Of corse west and Coe would have a harder time doing something like this and being respectful. One other thing ….Zzzzzzz.
Well there's much to unpack there so I won't try too hard but I agree about the credit card although I generally use an old hotel door card I've forgotten to return or a Tesco 'Clubcard'. As you point out we haven't had to do that yet in London which is great because I've yet to turn my heating on which I'm loath to do at the best of times but in these more trying times it feels even better (although you still pay a fortune just to 'plugged in to the grid'). I hope your team wins btw.

On to today and it's the sort of win I enjoy more than any I think; a battling one against an unfancied opponent. We were pretty insipid first half and didn't take advantage of our early-ish goal. Second half was much better and a well deserved win and good to see the lad Bird bag the winner (I'll let others do the puns) and an unbelievable strike which he was unlucky to hit the frame of the goal with. Scunthorpe offered nothing second half and easy to see why they are where they are. Phipps another good performance but someone told me he whacked their lad off the ball and was lucky not to go. To quote a certain long standing French manager 'I did not see it'.
Last edited by RM1Dagger on Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the SE27 Dagger
Cabaret138

Very impressed with Jay Bird for the time he was given. Unlucky with the shot that came off the post, same with the other one which hit the post thin that was Josh Walker.
Although Scunthorpe are near the bottom I thought they appeared better than their league position.
On to the cup and hope for round three and then a number of winnable games into the new year.
len

I was also surprised Scunthorpe looked a better team than their league position indicated particularly in the first half. In the second half we upped our game and managed to secure all three points. Perhaps not one of of our better performances but another victory which is what counts.
Diggerthedog

I don’t think Scunthorpe we’re all that we just didn’t show up first half, the 10 min spell first half when we scored had them on the ropes. The second half was much better and had we take out chances could have easily score another 3 or 4, this match and the Gateshead home match are proof of you drop your standard you can easily be beaten,

Massive win in the end in terms of continuing our current run and league position, going to be very short on numbers next week with Taylor cup tied who has impressed me more than the other two loans.

Poor crowd for no top leagues paying, again no deals when will we learn to seize the moment
Mark

Thought Scunthorpe worked ever so hard but in terms of quality they were way off the standard. We got caught cold as happens too often and they should probably have scored twice early on.

Second half was better, we should have got 3 or 4 really.

Great to grind out a win, not long ago we'd have lost or drawn that. But it did show you need to be on your game every week. There's no freebies.
NBDag

Yes credit where credit is due. We had a habit of letting teams like that get the point they’re after when the game is for the taking. Well done us for digging deep and getting a result on what was an off day for a lot of players. 1 point off the play offs and a game in hand, isn’t that a refreshing sight.

Don’t know much about Bird, but he certainly announced himself in some style with the debut goal and almost scoring one of the best goals I had ever seen in the flesh. Onto Gillingham with some real belief that we can win.
McLeansvilleAppFan

RM1Dagger wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:21 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:56 am Note the alliterative use of screed. I need tedium in the posts about the fixture.

Well there's much to unpack there so I won't try too hard but I agree about the credit card although I generally use an old hotel door card I've forgotten to return or a Tesco 'Clubcard'. As you point out we haven't had to do that yet in London which is great because I've yet to turn my heating on which I'm loath to do at the best of times but in these more trying times it feels even better (although you still pay a fortune just to 'plugged in to the grid'). I hope your team wins btw.

On to today and it's the sort of win I enjoy more than any I think; a battling one against an unfancied opponent. We were pretty insipid first half and didn't take advantage of our early-ish goal. Second half was much better and a well deserved win and good to see the lad Bird bag the winner (I'll let others do the puns) and an unbelievable strike which he was unlucky to hit the frame of the goal with. Scunthorpe offered nothing second half and easy to see why they are where they are. Phipps another good performance but someone told me he whacked their lad off the ball and was lucky not to go. To quote a certain long standing French manager 'I did not see it'.
My gridiron football won so that was nice and I stayed for a basketball game that was lost in the last few minutes with a lead until we went cold. All the way to the mountains around Boone, NC there was lots of ice on the north-facing mountain side in shadow and the south-facing side was ice free. No snow, sadly. Just cold and windy. Ski slopes should be opening in a few days. This far south in the US the ski slopes are mostly using snow machines so it is more ice than snow. I have not done any snow skiing since college. I am too old to risk bone fractures now. But tubing would be fun. There is my last screed.

Thanks for the screed on the fixture with Scunthorpe. :-) Maybe I can start using positive words for comments soon for the fixture comments.
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
Kevin

I was well pleased with the win - we've tended to lose these kind of games in recent years.

Scunthorpe looked pretty decent to me - although not a fan of the 'dark arts' displayed by their moron of a forward.

Other than the top 3, most national league teams can beat each other on any given day.

Great to see Bird make an impact..be interesting to see if he can chip in beyond Saturday's cameo appearance..

Hopefully we can keep this recent bit of form going... COYD
DaggerJoel11

🔴🔵 A suffocating press stunted Daggers' rhythm and coherence for the most part, but they dug deep for a crucial three points as Jay Bird's dream debut cameo catalysed impending frustration into delight.

💬 MATCH REPORT and Player Ratings from an immensely satisfying victory: https://dagnificent.weebly.com/match-re ... e-united-1
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''