Tonight.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

How do you sum that game up? Not sure you can, we did well to come back but surely should have won it against 10 men for most of extra time, frustrating stuff.
Adrian

It's kind of hard to know how to sum that up.

On the plus side, we scored six goals. On the downside, we conceded 6 avoidable goals and probably used up a fair bit of luck with at least two of the goals.
I also reckon that it's unlikely that a team has ever had 5 different players scored their first competitive goals in the same game.

Looking at the players:
O'Brien - couple of decent stops, erratic kicking and a complete howler for the last goal.
Batt - didn't really do anything noticeably good or bad, but did seem to disappear a couple of times
Doe - complete nightmare in the first half, but was ok for the rest of the game
Saah - largely ok, up to a stupid challenge that lead to the last goal
Partridge - did pretty well at both left back and right back
Boucaud - looks good with the ball and giving it to someone 5 yards away.
Labadie - don't remember him doing much at all
Ogogo - largely a standard Abu game, lots of hard work, winning the balls and getting things going
Porter - took his goal well, didn't do much else
Hemmings - 1 assist, two goals, but just didn't actually seem to be very good
Chambers - worked his nuts off, deserved his goal and MOM, but just isn't quite quick/skillful/strong enough to really cause defences a lot of problems consistently enough
Connors - didn't look good to me, was just bypassed a few times
Howell - usual game from him
Cureton - took his goal well, didn't really do a great deal though

Stand outs for me were Chambers for his effort, then Partridge and Ogogo.

Not sure why Connors took the first penalty.

I'm not altogether sure what the game plan really is, and if we don't do something about the defence quickly we're going to find ourselves in trouble - we're not going to score enough goals to cover conceding 2 or 3 regularly. 9 goals concded in 2 homegames (+et) is not good at all.
Richie

Adrian wrote:It's kind of hard to know how to sum that up.

On the plus side, we scored six goals. On the downside, we conceded 6 avoidable goals and probably used up a fair bit of luck with at least two of the goals.
I also reckon that it's unlikely that a team has ever had 5 different players scored their first competitive goals in the same game.

Looking at the players:
O'Brien - couple of decent stops, erratic kicking and a complete howler for the last goal.
Batt - didn't really do anything noticeably good or bad, but did seem to disappear a couple of times
Ogogo - largely a standard Abu game, lots of hard work, winning the balls and getting things going
Chambers - worked his nuts off, deserved his goal and MOM, but just isn't quite quick/skillful/strong enough to really cause defences a lot of problems consistently enough

I'm not altogether sure what the game plan really is, and if we don't do something about the defence quickly we're going to find ourselves in trouble - we're not going to score enough goals to cover conceding 2 or 3 regularly. 9 goals concded in 2 homegames (+et) is not good at all.
Well put Adrian, I thought Howell was good when he came on too. Defence was a joke at times, Doe's own-goal will end up on a xmas dvd
NickMurphy

Quite simply the most mental game I've ever seen, or ever likely to see.

I mean 6-6, that must be some sort of record, if not in the League Cup then for us.

Just unbelievable.
Diggerthedog

Adrian wrote:It's kind of hard to know how to sum that up.

Looking at the players:

Labadie was he even playing from 30 mins in he should had been hauled off, game passed him by not sure he did anything at all despite playing over 100 mins. Partridge looked good and Batt is not fit at all was moaning about his groin for 15 mins before getting subbed.
leewilson

Mark Cousins must be wondering why he's not in the starting line up because O'Brien has had an absolute shocker tonight. Doe is not blameless in the 3rd goal conceded but it is up to the keeper to give him a shout. Doe should have the nous to look around and check it's safe to shield it but O'Brien should be screaming at him to clear it, not slowly moving into no mans land. About 10 minutes later, and I think Boucard does a stupid back header which goes to their striker but Doe is there to cover, yet again O'Brien charges out into no mans land leaving the chip on. He got away with that. Plenty of other times during the night, he either didn't communicate properly or spilt the ball. Then he capped off his showing with a charge off the goalline which left the goal gaping for Brentford's 6th. I'm prepared to give him more time as he's young and inexperienced but my initial impression is that he's not good enough. I hope I'm wrong.

That aside, we looked far better balanced going forward tonight with Labadie acting as the link man between the midfield 3 and the striker. The man himself had a quiet game but his inclusion gave us an extra much needed body going forward. Chambers was excellent at stretching Brentford's high line and we got a lot of joy from that. Still, this was a far different match from Saturday as Brentford had no intention to sit on any lead, they just wanted to play which allowed us the luxury of having far more space at times than we did against Morecambe. Cureton showed his class we he came on as well. His movement up top is superb and providing we don't sink back into 4-5-1 for the league campaign, he'll get plenty. Please Wayne, 4-2-3-1, not 4-5-1. It's Howell or Boucard with Ogogo, not both.
TommyD&R

matt_drfc wrote:Couldn't give a toss that we lost, that was ******** amazing!
Couldn't agree more, loved every minute. Apart from the first 10.
USADAGGER nick

Hopefully Wayne can keep the boys heads from dropping too much. I know that it's fantastic seeing them score six goals and I would love to see them score that many consistently, but I'd almost say that this result would drop their heads more than a 6-0 thrashing.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Well you could support the Daggers for another hundred years and I doubt you will never again see them fail to win when they have scored six.

Put aside all the hysteria that tonight's events have created and that folks is what we have achieved the nigh on impossible.

Absolute shameful defending and Goalkeeping by both sides, but I do not give a hoot about Brentford.

Connors has had yet another nightmare and he only played an hour.

The Goalkeeper, well if he is number one then we are in trouble.

Batt, that is what you get if you play an unfit player, looks like he will be out for a few weeks they way he hobbled off. Shame because I thought he looked a lot better then Saturday.

Partridge did ok just a shame he did not realise he was the left back and not the right back on their first goal. Other then leaving their first goal scorer completely unmarked I thought he grew into it, its a fact however he looked much more combatable at right back.

How Abu is shooting straight at their Goalkeeper when one on one at 3-1 only he knows

Yet again we commit suicide by giving away a needless free kick a year to the night that Luke Howells did the same thing at Griffin Park.

Once again our defending at such instances is absolute abysmal. Scott and Brian looked absoloutely shell shocked at the heart of our defence and frankly at times it was pitiful to watch.

We can all bang on here about an unbelievable game but we are in serious serious trouble. If we don't get our basic defending sorted out
we will be down before the Christmas decorations.
bearaab

Equalled the league cup record, Reading 5-7 Arsenal.
redboy

Now that the dust has settled on an incredible night, I still feel aggrieved that we went out. Am I being too harsh? They played the majority of extra time with 10 men. For their equalising goal, knowing that Brentford are going to send everyone up, why did we set our defensive line so deep? Then, why does Wayne nominate Jack to take the first penalty. You must use your best / most experienced players first, ie Cureton, Howells. Cureton was set to go last, but wasn't needed. Small margins maybe, but another example of the gaffer's inexperience.
SUSSEX DAGGER

redboy wrote:Now that the dust has settled on an incredible night, I still feel aggrieved that we went out. Am I being too harsh? They played the majority of extra time with 10 men. For their equalising goal, knowing that Brentford are going to send everyone up, why did we set our defensive line so deep? Then, why does Wayne nominate Jack to take the first penalty. You must use your best / most experienced players first, ie Cureton, Howells. Cureton was set to go last, but wasn't needed. Small margins maybe, but another example of the gaffer's inexperience.

No you are not being harsh in fact you are the only one who appears to accept what we did last night. We scored Six ,yes six and somehow failed to win. Everybody was walking away from the Ground last night having gone for 9 goals in 2 and a third of a game's feeling that is a price worth paying for the entertainment they had been served.

Sorry but we have chucked away Victory in the same tame manner that we surrendered the tie last year. Despite being assured by the Manager that we continually work at training the message is not getting in. Goals 1 and 3 Saturday were clearly preventable Goals 1 2 3 and 6 were gifts last night. This clearly cant go on and I am sorry but he has to clearly make tough decisions and ship out those who don't seem to get it.
bearaab

We're 2 games into the season and you've had enough of players already? Who would you take out of the team to solve these problems?
SUSSEX DAGGER

bearaab wrote:We're 2 games into the season and you've had enough of players already? Who would you take out of the team to solve these problems?
Don't con yourself about being two games into a new season, this has been going on for nearly 18 months and as Adrian has eluded to don't think it is individuals its a collective weakness.

Look at goal 1 and 2 last night for Christ sake we repeat the same mistake at goal two that we did only 5 minutes earlier, we don't appear switched on and are totally unaware of what is going on around us.

It is not only the way we deal with restarts its the cheapness that we give them away in the first place. How the hell did they end up with a corner for the first goal, there is no way in this world that should have happened.

The sixth goal is another disaster but what the hell are we giving a free kick like that away in the first place.

I would therefore suggest that the first task in preventing our achelies heel being exposed is to stop giving away cheap restarts to our opponents in the first place.
Diggerthedog

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
bearaab wrote:We're 2 games into the season and you've had enough of players already? Who would you take out of the team to solve these problems?
Don't con yourself about being two games into a new season, this has been going on for nearly 18 months and as Adrian has eluded to don't think it is individuals its a collective weakness.

Look at goal 1 and 2 last night for Christ sake we repeat the same mistake at goal two that we did only 5 minutes earlier, we don't appear switched on and are totally unaware of what is going on around us.

It is not only the way we deal with restarts its the cheapness that we give them away in the first place. How the hell did they end up with a corner for the first goal, there is no way in this world that should have happened.

The sixth goal is another disaster but what the hell are we giving a free kick like that away in the first place.

I would therefore suggest that the first task in preventing our achelies heel being exposed is to stop giving away cheap restarts to our opponents in the first place.
That's the whole problem we have mediocre pro footballers and are trying to play like Arsenal. All the simple stuff has gone out of the window. When we play like this with players of our calibre they will more often the. Not give the ball away, this won't change anytime soon.