Do other managers do this?

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
BB-Dagger

Pathetic definitely! I’m surprised the thread hasn’t been removed as it was started by an “administrator” only good thing coming from it is the fact it shows that some old person can film from a seat in the stand and get a better quality result than the official camera on top of the sieve! :lol:
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Maybe if he stood closer to the pitch then ... he'd be able to head corners away himself ?
Auntie Merge

Some of you lot are very funny.
I have said numerous times Daryl goes missing during critical points in games; he either hides in the dugouts or stands there with his head in his hands, not coaching.

I was asked for proof. I supply some proof and get called all sorts of names and told how pathetic and sad I am and told I should delete my post.
I can delete this but it’s an opinion and you aren’t going to change my opinion that Daryl’s best time of coaching was when John Still was sending him smoke signals from the stand. Which seems to be about the same time he was given a contract extension.

Like Honest John, I am DESPERATE for the daggers to play well and win. I want us to succeed as much as possible. 6-0 wins would be wonderful, but just to get to full time and have the team play well would be something, even if we lost.

I fear that if we have another season of us being also-rans, we may lose any long term investment in the club.

I also see a club that is not thriving. Games like Saturday weren’t great to watch; we are not attracting new younger supporters in the numbers we need to, Supporters we have are drifting away. For this club to continue long term.
Forget about excuses ‘oh they are only interested in the big teams and tiktok’
coming to the Daggers is not a the matchday experience it should be. Yes, that old chestnut again. But isn’t it about time things started to change?
McLeansvilleAppFan

>dugouts

Can I change the topic just a bit. You mention dugouts. I assume you mean the covered seating area for the players and managers. Are those ever 1/2-way below ground in England?

When I hear dugout I think of American baseball and most stadiums of any size have the team sitting in a dugout that is truly dug out of the ground and the seats are a bit below groundlevel by a few steps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugout_%28baseball%29

Watching the Daggers highlights on Youtube it appears like the bench area for the players is at ground level.

Is dugout a loan word from the US back to England?
I am so tired of the heat and humidity of the summers in the southeastern USA.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Think some really old, big stadiums will still have dugouts slightly below ground level - like Elland road and Goodison. Pretty much all new grounds have above-ground dugouts now, if you can recall images of Fergie running down the steps at OT whenever United scored a last minute winner.

I strongly suspect we nicked the actual word from you though.
McLeansvilleAppFan

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:41 pm Think some really old, big stadiums will still have dugouts slightly below ground level - like Elland road and Goodison. Pretty much all new grounds have above-ground dugouts now, if you can recall images of Fergie running down the steps at OT whenever United scored a last minute winner.

I strongly suspect we nicked the actual word from you though.
And after I posted I found another meaning for dugout that would apply but it does involves some digging but for human shelter. That predates the use in American baseball I am sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dugout_(shelter)

I am sure the above ground dugouts are cheaper to build and maintain and not something this is going to flood in a heavy rain.
Jackalope

341D98A5-C172-42E5-A821-49C2154B7146.jpeg
Here’s an underground example from our recent friendly at Concord Rangers. It is quite unusual - I haven’t seen one like this before.
McLeansvilleAppFan

I like what they have at the Rangers. And that is real grass? I thought it was artificial at first it looks so good. I had to look again but looks real with the painted lines.
AVincelotFlyingLeap

Always thought the baseball ones are weird because they're so low that you can't see the game from the bench - the coaches have to stand there on the top step for the whole game.

Also did you see that video of Gerritt Cole falling over the top of it when trying to celebrate a win, absolutely quality stuff
McLeansvilleAppFan

AVincelotFlyingLeap wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:06 pm Always thought the baseball ones are weird because they're so low that you can't see the game from the bench - the coaches have to stand there on the top step for the whole game.

Also did you see that video of Gerritt Cole falling over the top of it when trying to celebrate a win, absolutely quality stuff
Players never sit on the bench. They lean against the rail or sit on top of the bench to watch. And half of the baseball team is sitting in the outfield as pitchers waiting to warm up in the bullpen. Some of those bullpens are in the playing area and some are behind fences. I love how every field is different in some detail.

And it allows some high price tickets near the playing area with a good view. Likely the REAL reason.