A JOKE THAT COULD LEAD TO SOMETHING BIGGER

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
SUSSEX DAGGER

Anybody notice the expense we have had to endure ? yesterday it had me shaking my head in utter disbelief but led to a very interesting conversation.

The Touchline by the Carling Stand where the Linesman runs has had to have a strip of 3g laid down . This was done after the Referee was serious about calling off the Southend game because despite having what I think was the best playing surface anywhere he was concerned about the safety of his assistant.

When you recall the deluge that we endured the previous Saturday against Scunthorpe the pitch the following Tuesday was amazing, even Phil Brown commented on it.

Was speaking to Steve Thompson and he said that this strip of 3g was not cheap. Makes you wonder if this Referee has ever been to Rodney Parade or Gigg Lane or even Roots hall because they would still be playing last season now if he had.

jokingly I suggested that we had a head start as I believe all Pro football will be played on an artificial surface within ten years. Steve then said he thinks at our level we will be playing League games on them within 2 years.

This got me thinking , would given our training ground problems make investing in such a surface prove cost effective and is our game about to enter into a period where it is changed for good.
USADAGGER nick

If I'm honest, I think this is just a place where all of sport is going. Over here in America, all the rage is FieldTurf, or an artificial surface that looks/feels like grass. This is an improvement from the "artificial turf" used just as early as 10 years ago in some American football stadiums. I think it's a matter of safety (less divets, potholes, etc), and a matter of looking professional (no chance of a muddy pitch).

Would it be cost effective? Probably it would, but I'd have to run the numbers. Probably the only way we could afford it is over a 10 year loan and by the end of that time, it's time to replace the turf
PaulHornchurch

Maidstone United have the latest 'astro' style pitch, and have some problems getting the okay if they were to be promoted to the Conference. I believe this now has the okay.

The FA have also confirmed that these pitches can now be used in the FA Cup.

So yes, perhaps they will be accepted in the Football League, and every club would increase their revenue by hiring out for community use.

I couldn't attend the Maidstone pre-season game, but maybe the players could advise how they found it.
IanC

Maidstone`s surface was great,in fact i forgot all about it til someone brought it up in conversation.Sure does suit a passing game,even we looked like barcelona at times..That said its not for me,im a traditionalist and we have had a superb pitch for years now,cant even remember last game we had called off for weather.Grass for me,sliding tackles and all that,and i dare say players wouldnt want it every week,would probably up the injuries a bit more too.
Mike the Dagger

The quality of these things is improving all the time and its about time that the FA sanctioned the top end of artificial pitches for use in all competitions.

An artificial pitch can be used by the community all year round, and renting it out would be an additional income source for the club. We have the old changing rooms still (don't we?) so wouldn't need much in the way of new facilities to do this either.