Daggers Number 1 ....

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Has gone to Liam O'Brien.

Having attended exactly zero pre season friendlies I've no comment to make on the validity of this decision.

A tad surprised it has gone to the younger, less experienced of the two keepers but of all the comments I've seen during pre season O'Brien does seem to have stood out a little more.
matt_drfc

O'Brien does look more comfortable, nice to have 2 keepers pushing each other though!
Lcbdagger

Despite having a bit of a flap at Colchester, absolutely the right decision in my opinion... reminds me of Lewington in that his kicking isn't spot on and he looks like he could make a clanger at any time but he has great communication, likes to get play moving quickly and his shot stopping is superb... on particular save at the weekend against Tottenham was top notch!
steeevooo

Interesting that we don't have anybody allocated #11 - does this indicate another impending arrival?
leewilson

I've only seen the Spurs game but thought Cousins was the one if anything that was rolling the ball out to the left quicker and getting play started.

I honestly don't know on this. I'd have thought Cousins before the season. He came seemingly well recommended by others but yet he really doesn't look like a goalkeeper. O'Brien I feel is going to be more liable to a mistake. He came charging out against Spurs and was lucky that it only resulted in a small collision and not a goal. I remember seeing the highlights of one of the friendlies in Spain as well where he came charging out to the side of the box and got rounded before conceding.

Can we have Lewington back?
dagger4eva

Lewington?

I'd sooner try to convince / tempt / bribe 40+ year old Robbo to come out of retirement!!! 8-)
matt_drfc

steeevooo wrote:Interesting that we don't have anybody allocated #11 - does this indicate another impending arrival?
Z.H
PaulHornchurch

Seen six of the pre-season games, and whilst Mark has done well, Liam stands out for me. I think he will command his box better than CL & JS, and has made several top saves.

If Mark his needed, he's more than capable.

Jordan never really threatened Lewy, and then when he was given a run of games at the end of last season to claim the jersey for this season, he didn't really step up
Lcbdagger

leewilson wrote:I've only seen the Spurs game but thought Cousins was the one if anything that was rolling the ball out to the left quicker and getting play started.

I honestly don't know on this. I'd have thought Cousins before the season. He came seemingly well recommended by others but yet he really doesn't look like a goalkeeper. O'Brien I feel is going to be more liable to a mistake. He came charging out against Spurs and was lucky that it only resulted in a small collision and not a goal. I remember seeing the highlights of one of the friendlies in Spain as well where he came charging out to the side of the box and got rounded before conceding.

Can we have Lewington back?
Obviously not the manager's thinking but if he is liable to make a mistake then the best confidence booster for the young man is surely to tell him he starts the season as number one... More than capable replacement if there are issues or a drop in form or confidence.
shoreyda2nd

If either keeper manages to earn us half the amount of points Lewy did over the course of a season I'll be happy.

I still think we'll miss Lewy more than Zavon. At this level you won't get a keeper who is good at everything, but I'd rather a great shot stopper who can't kick any day of the week.
ARNU

Are we reading a bit too much into this ? Its just another number on a shirt.Not sure that means he's 1st choice these days.Lewy was No 30 until just recently,Long after Roberts had gone.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

ARNU wrote:Are we reading a bit too much into this ? Its just another number on a shirt.Not sure that means he's 1st choice these days.Lewy was No 30 until just recently,Long after Roberts had gone.
It does, Burnett said neither will get a number until the start of the season so they can battle it out equally with neither being #1, now there is a #1 it means Burnett has made his decision and it looks like its O'Brien.
leewilson

shoreyda2nd wrote:If either keeper manages to earn us half the amount of points Lewy did over the course of a season I'll be happy.

I still think we'll miss Lewy more than Zavon. At this level you won't get a keeper who is good at everything, but I'd rather a great shot stopper who can't kick any day of the week.
This. I have a feeling there may be 1-2 who slated Lewington last season who end up wishing he was here as the season progresses.
Phippo

Lewington is in the past and it was his choice to leave. From what I've seen we have capable replacements, and O'Brien had the edge. Wouldn't be surprised if Mark is between the sticks against Brentford!
SUSSEX DAGGER

leewilson wrote:
shoreyda2nd wrote:If either keeper manages to earn us half the amount of points Lewy did over the course of a season I'll be happy.

This. I have a feeling there may be 1-2 who slated Lewington last season who end up wishing he was here as the season progresses.
Not at all rather have Players who want to play for us. As far as I am aware Lewington wanted to go. If I am wrong then it is obvious Wayne did not rate him as highly as some, either way I am not fussed. For every outstanding piece of goalkeeping I can give you a howler aka Exeter.

No good looking back we are were we are time to get behind who ever is trusted with the Shirt.