Colchester

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
PaulHornchurch

I would like to see Goldberg get a real run of games, I really think he will score goals in League 2.

I wouldn't worry about Cureton not playing. Wayne has to make a decision on Hemmings and Porter this week so needed to see them player. Chambers missed a couple of early games due to his wife giving birth and needs catching up.
Lcbdagger

What I will say is, if you didn't go but are concerned about the result... try to catch the 2nd and 3rd Colchester goals on highlights... both went in from 30+ yards (one from a free kick) as if we were playing with a beach from from Brazil... third goal in particular moved all over the place.

Still a decision to be made in goal but Partridge and Connors look settled if Batt isn't fit. Abu and Howell will hold down the midfield... no Bingham again today so hope he isn't injured.

Nothing too special about those who came on late in the game... also not a great confidence boost for O'Brien with the last couple of goals shortly after coming on.

Special mention for the tannoy team... 'and coming on for Colchester is number 24... um... we have no idea who he is'
leewilson

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
leewilson wrote:Bit disappointed Goldberg doesn't seem to be getting any starts in the first team friendlies. He keeps making little cameos off the bench but the fact he's not starting suggests to me that perhaps Wayne doesn't see him as a league striker yet. Cureton being rested or rotated out today was the ideal opportunity to start him up there. The fact he wasn't speaks volumes.
Well when the Manager hails the signing of a Pensoner and then says he still wants to bring in another Striker did not need to see the team sheet today to form the opinion the Manager dont fancy him. Another Sheilds I fear, we will hear repeated calls for his inclusion and when he is and shows absoloute nothing the silence will be deafening.
I think you're being far too harsh with your assessment on Cureton, Chris.
Adrian

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
leewilson wrote:Bit disappointed Goldberg doesn't seem to be getting any starts in the first team friendlies. He keeps making little cameos off the bench but the fact he's not starting suggests to me that perhaps Wayne doesn't see him as a league striker yet. Cureton being rested or rotated out today was the ideal opportunity to start him up there. The fact he wasn't speaks volumes.
Well when the Manager hails the signing of a Pensoner and then says he still wants to bring in another Striker did not need to see the team sheet today to form the opinion the Manager dont fancy him. Another Sheilds I fear, we will hear repeated calls for his inclusion and when he is and shows absoloute nothing the silence will be deafening.
Shields has still barely had a decent go, and from what I saw of his limited go showed more then absoloute (sic) nothing. I'd rather see us give the likes of Shields and Goldberg a proper opportunity to prove what they've got than see us give game time to some of the players we did last season, like Edgar, Azeez and Turgott.
If they're then not good enough, fine get rid of them.

Cureton is exactly the experience we've needed since the likes of Arber and Gain left.
Dagdale

What a difference a week makes, after last Saturdays dismal performance, even though we lost today we witnessed a team of players fighting for places, and generally a good match to watch, bad gaps especially in defending today though and after O'Brien came on those goals I'm sure could have been saved, but the players mentioned previous is spot on, if they can maintain their individual parts of the team and all gel in I can safely say now I'm looking forward to the new season, our No.6 was the man of the match (Bouchard) closely followed by George Porter. O Yeah thought our announcer on that substitution was bloody hilarious, you'd never get that in the premiership!
matt_drfc

Dagdale wrote:What a difference a week makes, after last Saturdays dismal performance, even though we lost today we witnessed a team of players fighting for places, and generally a good match to watch, bad gaps especially in defending today though and after O'Brien came on those goals I'm sure could have been saved, but the players mentioned previous is spot on, if they can maintain their individual parts of the team and all gel in I can safely say now I'm looking forward to the new season, our No.6 was the man of the match (Bouchard) closely followed by George Porter. O Yeah thought our announcer on that substitution was bloody hilarious, you'd never get that in the premiership!
It was radiostu, brilliant he was
redboy

I don't know how strong a side Colchester had out, but apart from the opening 5 minutes, we controlled the game up until the mass substitutions midway through the second half. The midfield looked solid, like our shape with Bouchard sitting deep and pulling the strings. Some of the interplay was excellent and for once we put some decent crosses in. I thought that Partridge had a decent game and the formation allowed both full backs to push forward. Despite the score line, I came away encouraged and have a few less concerns than a week ago. We still seem a small side though which has always been one of my issues. Nouble came on, who looks more like a basketball player and tbh was awful. Wayne said that he's looking for another striker and a winger, so maybe someone big and strong who can hold up the ball and play in Cureton and that elusive tricky winger who can deliver a decent cross will complete the jigsaw. Shields nowhere to be seen today and Chambers had probably his best game for us, which isn't saying much but credit to him for creating the 2nd and firing in the 3rd. As for the GK........the jury's out
SUSSEX DAGGER

Sheilds is injured.

Ok Lee and Adrian i will conceade to views with good grace. Just would have liked to unearth another gem ,ok easier said then done I know. Tell you what your boy only has to score one goal to convert me and that is the winner against the Skates in September. If he does that letters will be hastly sent to Buck House for a nighthood
for services to Football.

Going back to Goldberg looks like his opportunites are going to be limited and it may be a case he gets one chance, perhaps in the Paint pot.
Dagdale

Redboy wrote/ 'as for GK the jury's out', that now seems the main concern. Only seen them both a couple of times and the big test obviously will be early season but tbh don't quite like what I've seen in the eight goals conceded so far, albeit friendlies are not always the right light to see the complete form of a guy. Couldn't we have knocked on the door of a few Championships sides looking and taking?
Lcbdagger

Dagdale wrote:Redboy wrote/ 'as for GK the jury's out', that now seems the main concern. Only seen them both a couple of times and the big test obviously will be early season but tbh don't quite like what I've seen in the eight goals conceded so far, albeit friendlies are not always the right light to see the complete form of a guy. Couldn't we have knocked on the door of a few Championships sides looking and taking?
Certainly felt sorry for O'Brien yesterday... as soon as the 3rd and 4th goals had gone in and the joy of leading 3-1 in the sunshine had evaporated there were a number of voices at the front of The Sieve saying 'there's our second choice keeper', 'I think we know who will be number two this season'... as well as a couple of 'when are you coming back Lewi comments'...

From what I heard before today, people seemed more keen on O'Brien than Cousins and i'm not convinced that while the third goal was a bit of a freak, Cousins covered himself in glory with the free kick for their second
Adrian

It's hard to judge either keeper much on yesterday.
Of all the keepers, I only remember one real save, and that was Lewington from a Saah header. Otherwise they all had little to do - no crosses to deal with, few shots to save.
Kicking wise, O'Brien didn't strike me as any better than Lewington.
matt_drfc

I thought Cousins edged it, decent handling, quick distribution, kicking weren't too bad either.