Farewell Luke

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Diggerthedog

I would take saah over wilkinson myself, it's all about opinions. He wanted to jump ship rather than fight for his place. Reminds me if Femi situation thinks he was better than he really was and when the going got tough the real player shone through.
Mark

The femi situation where he came back and played really well before his confidence seemed to dip under Wayne and he signed for a team higher up the league?
Adrian

I'm not sure what Femi situation is being talked about?
The one where we was managed brilliantly and brought back to earth?
Or the one where he got the the end of his contract and decided to not stay and play for a manager who wouldn't let him play his natural game.
Dagger83

I didn't go much last season so didn't witness these poor displays but he was fantastic at times the season before. I find it hard to believe he's regressed that much in 12 months. He was supposedly being scouted by PL clubs last summer and now we've sold him on the cheap to Luton. I can't really fathom it but if he didn't want to be here, perhaps it's for the best.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Richie

Wilkinson of 12/13 is better than Saah, but I think it's a good move for all parties really. Last year he was very bad overall, and as others have said, gives Gayle more of a look-in.

We'd have gone down without him in 12/13 however. Good luck Luke!
Lcbdagger

Look at the positives... wouldn't have played much this year, Gayle progressing through nicely and (hopefully) more space in the wages for a decent Striker and wide man that doesn't throw us in to financial trouble but still allows us to compete at this level... interesting to see AFC Wimbledon (who I thought were a small team too) signing Tubbs, Akinfenwa and Jack Smith the ex Millwall defender. Decent players are out there
TheLion

Where is our much needed big lump of a defender? Unless Gayle is the answer, I fear that we will be bullied at set pieces again next season and offer little threat from our own set pieces at the other end.
Dagdale

There maybe something we all never know about on the offloading of Wilko, cant really understand saying goodbye to a lad at 22 who on his day was a far better player than the general level of League 2, injuries definitely didn't help last season and obviously the system under Wayne changed and when he did get back in the side real shame he walks out the door of Dagenham & Redbridge with many of us remembering the howlers of Mansfield Town away and Pompey at home, but now reunited with Stilly and his suitable type of game think he'll do a good job for them, especially as a link up with ex Crawley's Connelly. Brief chats and feedback on him seemed a nice chap,he was the only real light out of a tunnel on the dreadful 12/13 season, he was terrific that season and could he hit a ball.
NickMurphy

Tend to agree with those in here that would rather have an on form Wilko than Saah. I don't know if Saah's hit his peak yet (we'll tell this season I imagine), but compare last season's Saah with the Wilko from the season before and I'd have Wilkinson partnering Doe 9 times out of 10.

The fact Wilkinson didn't get a full pre-season last year really let him down, and on last years performances alone I'm not too disappointed he's gone. But knowing what he's capable of being like, I am a bit disappointed as I feel he is a real quality defender, and on his day, better than Saah.
Lcbdagger

I would imagine the injury issue hasn't gone away as he only has a one year contract at Luton... If John Still thought he had the higher level player of 12/13 that we saw, with no injury concerns, he would surely have secured him on a longer contact.

certainly stronger than Saah on his day, but maybe the manager felt that day had gone since the injury.

For all we know he may play no more than ten games for Luton all season. I know a few people worried that Woodall may make us East humble pie after he left... Not happened yet.
Masked Man

Too many variables.

A player who had an amazing season gets injured and comes back not the same player. Seen that how many times before?

Yes, he may regain his form (although he is untested under Wayne's regime), but how long may that take?

We don't have the luxury of carrying players, so if he wasn't going to play, then he's better off the books and moved on.

We don't know how serious the injury was or if it's recurring?

Of course if I could have a cast iron guarantee that we would have the Wilko of two seasons back - I'd take him every time, but life (and football) isn't that simple!
ARNU

Saah aint so bad.Wilkinson couldn't pass and had some real howlers last season.He didn't have the heart to fight for his position and nowe he'll struggle to get into Lutons team if he carries on like last year.All this praising of a bloke that shipped out as soon as he could over one that stayed and clearly wants to play for us I don't understand.Wayne found him out,now he's gone.Good !
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
lupins

What a charmer you are
The player of 2012-13 spent the following season on the bench and I don't' recall any tantrums or lack of effort when limited opportunity arose but you remarkably see lack of heart
The Manager clearly doesn't have him in his starting plans so good luck to him. Personally I think it's a loss and I wish him well with hopefully a sell on clause negotiated
Diggerthedog

lupins wrote:What a charmer you are
The player of 2012-13 spent the following season on the bench and I don't' recall any tantrums or lack of effort when limited opportunity arose but you remarkably see lack of heart
The Manager clearly doesn't have him in his starting plans so good luck to him. Personally I think it's a loss and I wish him well with hopefully a sell on clause negotiated
Think Arnu is saying that he lack fight as he handed in a transfer request. It was time to move on for him.
ARNU

lupins wrote:What a charmer you are
I Didn't say he didn't try or had tantrums.I said he had a shit season last year,played terribly on a few occasions.If he thought he was good enough he'd have stayed and battled for his position.It wasn't actually that clear to us WB didn't have him in his starting plans either.Just didn't pick him when he was unfit.Good luck to him though.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !