Great Positivity, But Proves Fans Fickleness

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

What a difference a few months or even weeks make!!!

Things had obviously been more positive in the last couple of months anyway, but the visit of the owners and the signings of the last few days has changed the mood entirely. Probably the most positive outlook for the club most will have sensed for maybe 8 or 9 years?? It is great and is marvellous to read everyone on here being so optimistic and positive and I think everyone will be looking forward to their Saturday afternoons again now (although the last 3 months has been mainly like that anyway).

It is interesting though to note the reaction to the Wilkinson deal. The bloke can clearly play and this is a great signing and I am very pleasantly surprised by it. I thought his performance against Boreham Wood was up there with the best individual performances I can remember from one of our players. Absolutely superb. It does show how fickle some of our fans are though. I remember the general feel of the comments from people on here when he first came in on loan. People who take anything said by anyone else on social media as gospel quoting fans of his former clubs and slating the bloke, and slating Taylor for bringing him in!!! Now he is, rightly, being lauded as potentially one of our greatest ever signings. Lets hope he continues to show the form of the last few weeks (I am sure he will) and peoples latest comments are the ones that are proved correct.

Likewise, it is great to hear people are happy with our US owners, and I personally still find it hard to believe that these kind of people (positive, successful, forward thinking) are running our club!! An amazing thing to happen. But maybe for a second people should pay credit to the part played by ST in getting them in?? The Americans have continuously said they were impressed by STs enthusiasm for the club and that was one of the attractions, and that they have never known anyone work so hard as ST does. While the bloke is not perfect, while he may have said and done things he shouldn't have done (and probably regrets himself), it would be nice for some people to give some credit to him when things work out well (as they appear to have done on this front).

Anyway, lets hope for 6 points over the next two weekends. The play offs are probably a bit to much to ask from here, but would be great to put another run together and send out a message for next season!!!
JaminDaggers

Good post

Steve divides opions that is for sure but you can only judge people on how you find them..personally never had a bad experince of ST in the 20 plus years as a supporter.

However i do see that he can alienate people with some of his communication skills or lack of

What should never be in question is his passion and commitment to the club..my Dad is a member and attends all the meetings and it is 100% the case that that the Americans wouldnt be here without Steve

He is the first person to say he isnt perfect but heart well and truly in the right place and he is hugely respected within football

Onwards and upwards and all that...
RampantDuke

OK, couple of points in answer to the above;

I don't remember any Dagenham fans slating Wilkinson when he joined us, but there were some genuine concerns about what kind of player we had taken on after checking their forums, other social media or if you knew any Gillingham fans. I'm delighted that Wilko appears to have found a club, manager and league that brings the best out of him. I also hope that he keeps this up because if he does then we have one hell of a player on our hands.

Secondly, I do agree with you both about Thompson. His behaviour over the last couple of years was erratic and dubious (to be kind) but, fair play, there is no doubt that his tenacity and dogged enthusiasm not only kept this club alive but also found us some amazing new owners. I take my hat off to him for that. I also think he seemed a lot more relaxed and happy at the forum last Friday so the previous few years of keeping the club together must have really been taking it's toll on him. Not sure that he is the first person to say he isn't perfect, I reckon there are plenty of people at the club, past and present that would jump in with that assessment long before he would ;-) but all in all the toxicity that engulfed the club over the past few years has all but disappeared and that is fantastic for all of us.

COYD.
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
Granddad

With regard to Steve Thompson, my big worry is he could be head-hunted by a bigger club who have seen what a great job he has done in not only saving our club but finding the right people to take us to the next level. What I like most about him is although he is a supporter of his coolness under pressure over-rides sentimentality which was proved when he off-loaded our better players last year in an attempt to balance the books. IMO his imperfections are his strength and he has shown the impossible is possible with him at the helm.

As far as Im concerned he is a Dagger legend and long may that continue.