Still Out??

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
DI Mike Dashwood

Could we be the ones to lose Mr Still his job this weekend??

The Bees forum makes very interesting reading. Lots of talk of outdated and boring tactics, lack of substitutions, lack of ideas. Not sure if I have heard that before!?!?! And meanwhile 150 miles up the road a certain Mr Martin Allen has parted company with Chesterfield. A little bit of pressure on Mr Still ahead of Saturday maybe??
SUSSEX DAGGER

You can add Peter Taylor to that list of Managers under pressure,we only need to go on a losing run and all the good work of the past couple of months will soon be forgotten by the fickle plenty. That will be even more prevelent if the architect of football from the dark ages is free
DI Mike Dashwood

Ha ha, I did think that Sussex, but daren't post.

The three reasons I don't think PT is under pressure from this is firstly, I can't see us suddenly collapsing (although of course could be wrong there) and so we don't be dragged into a relegation fight. The worst case scenario now will be to finish somewhere between 14th and 18th (but think we will be higher). Secondly, I think most of us (not all) and those involved with making these decisions, will respect the job PT has done, and even if the worst case scenario played out they would give him the summer and the start of next season with a full pre season, full summer, normal/average Conference budget before doing anything drastic.

And thirdly, surely surely surely the Club would not turn back to Johnny Hoofball for a 4th time!?!?!? I absolutely respect what he has done for us over a number of years and spells, but it is surely done now. He was divisive last time in some respects for the fanbase and his style and tactics have surely now gone past their sell by date??
SUSSEX DAGGER

Was only being a bit mischievous Mike as is my want.

But if you are basing anything that appears on fans forum's just look at ours a couple of months ago to prove how fickle supporters are.

I was looking at Barnets fans forum at the time we were playing them , they beat us and went on a run and all the negative thoughts and opinions that have now returned were quickly forgotten.

If we finish were we are now I will for one be delighted . All this play off talk is utter pie in the sky in my opinion. We are on a good run for sure but let's not forget the stand out players during this period has been the two Centre halfs and the Goalkeeper. That fact alone proves how far we need to go to have any chance
Diggerthedog

Think we need to make the support about our players this Saturday and not about 90 mins of Mr Dagenham.
DI Mike Dashwood

Yeah, I agree the play off chat is probably people getting carried away BUT...............you have to dream from time to time in football or what is the point!!!

The most important thing is, this is probably the most enjoyable period of games for maybe 8 years (aside from maybe a couple of patches in 16/17). The discussions on here are about football and how many points we may get, rather than sacking people, booting out the board, whether we will exist, whether we will reform in the Essex Senior League etc.

Enjoy it while it lasts I say!!!

And there would be a certain irony if we were to bring down Mr Still on Saturday (and before I get told off, I have the utmost respect for John and am sure he has a sacking clause similar to Jose's in his deal, even if it's not 15m)!!!
NBDag

I think our best chance of getting him sacked was when we played at the Hive and unfortunately we couldn’t see it through. They were in a real mess back then. But now they have 3 games in hand which could theoretically put them back right amongst it for the play offs. I suppose that could be argued as an incentive to sack him, but I just don’t see it happening. I’ll be smug enough with just the 3 points and a clean sheet.
Voice of reason

The last time JS was here the players couldn't believe how they were instructed to play
Whenever we got a free kick in our half the defenders were told to run straight to the ball as soon as it stopped moving and boot it forward without looking for a team mate
Still's idea was that it would surprise the opposition
That may have been true the first time they did it maybe such preposterous tactics might have been a shock but not for the rest of the game - or indeed subsequent games as the season progressed
Our team were incredulous and of course had zero confidence in that way of playing
BB-Dagger

There isn’t much that would keep me away from Victoria Rd but if that dinosaur returns I would consider not renewing my season ticket, he’s had his day and his “Mr Dagenham” “this is my club” “ I’m only coming back because I love the club and this will be my last ever job” bull$hit doesn’t wash with me :angry:
Fortunately it doesn’t bother me though 😘
Adrian

Voice of reason wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 pm The last time JS was here the players couldn't believe how they were instructed to play
Whenever we got a free kick in our half the defenders were told to run straight to the ball as soon as it stopped moving and boot it forward without looking for a team mate
Still's idea was that it would surprise the opposition
That may have been true the first time they did it maybe such preposterous tactics might have been a shock but not for the rest of the game - or indeed subsequent games as the season progressed
Our team were incredulous and of course had zero confidence in that way of playing
What a load of crap.
Weve never taken a free kick like that in any game under any manager.
Voice of reason

Ask the players who were here last time he came back
That's who I heard it from
Voice of reason

Ask the players who were here last time he came back
Adrian

Voice of reason wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:14 pm Ask the players who were here last time he came back
But they didn't do it. A free kick was never taken like that. Never.
The common way that we'd take free kicks in our half was that a defender would place the ball so the goalkeeper could run forward to take it fairly quickly, but with having time to look for players.

You've come out with this sort of stuff before as well.

It's weird how many of players who apparently hate his way of playing will either extend their contracts or follow him to other clubs.
Voice of reason

Adrian wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:48 pm
Voice of reason wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:14 pm Ask the players who were here last time he came back
But they didn't do it. A free kick was never taken like that. Never.
The common way that we'd take free kicks in our half was that a defender would place the ball so the goalkeeper could run forward to take it fairly quickly, but with having time to look for players.

You've come out with this sort of stuff before as well.

It's weird how many of players who apparently hate his way of playing will either extend their contracts or follow him to other clubs.
Your description is a fag paper's thickness away from what I outlined - which is what I used to see at the time after hearing it from the players
Perhaps I was wrong and John Still asked his team to play beautiful football
It doesn't matter. He's not here now
Grimsweeper

dont recall too many complaining about the football we were watching when we won the conference league by a country mile and then got promoted to league one on relatively small budget and gates.

Looking at the Barnet forum it looks like they want him gone.

hardly a surprise given that Daggers have had 6 managers since 1996.
In the same period Barnet have had 33 changes of management.

I fear "Mr Dagenham" might be getting chucked out with the Hive Christmas tree.