Still Out??

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Dagdale

Seems to be more eyes turned toward John Still now that Mad Dog Allen just maybe looking over his shoulder? In all honesty and my two cents worth reckon the Bees would be crazy to give him another go and would be far better staying with Still, yeah okay he knows the ins and outs of the club well but with the Eastleigh and Chesterfield jobs he had financial clout and especially on the latter club was given a fair chance to make amends and it all fell apart to many fans frustrations. Barnet will probably finish off mid table towards top perhaps even play offs and if any remotely chance Still does go there's a coach out there called Daryl McMahon who'd fit in there nicely.
ARNU

Can’t see any point giving Still anything but a warm welcome. Why would anyone have the ump with him. He is Mr Dagenham. Nothing wrong with beating Barnet 10-nil though.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

Still has won the Conference three times, the Isthmian League twice and the SOuthern League. He got little Dagenham & Redbridge to League One and with a tiny bit of luck would have made us stick there. It beats me why people seem to believe he knows nothing about football all of a sudden. Yes he's got his way of playing, and yes its not great to watch at times but FFS folks.

I'm happy to applaud him before the game on Saturday, but will be hoping for an "Auntie" once the game starts.
Daggerfrom70s

Think Luton fans felt the same way. He got them out of the Conference and established back in the League. They didnt like the hoofball but were pleased to be given the chance to get back up into the Prem ( if they ever do get there )
Granddad

TBH I was more than a little pissed off with the way he left, but the reality is we now have a better manager than Still who gets teams playing a more enjoyable style of football. A Brucie bonus is he took some of our so-called better players with him to Barnet, and Taylor has replaced them with far better ones. As far as Im concerned the old boy deserves a round of applause, followed by ninety minutes of pure hell from our brilliant new team.
DI Mike Dashwood

The thing is MTD, while all that you say is correct the Barnet fans are clearly unhappy with the current results and style, and I would imagine that baring in mind the budget they have (which I estimate would be in the highest 7 in the League) the Board will be unhappy with the results as well (they will have known what the style would be). All that coupled with Mr Allen now being available makes me think he is under pressure to get a few results together, starting tomorrow, whatever his past achievements??

I also think times change, and it is now fours years since John's last big achievement (which was achieved at a massive club by Conference standards in Luton) and 8.5 years since his last miraculous achievement (which it certainly was). The game moves on, and managers at Conference level need to evolve like they do at the top level (Jose anyone)?? That's not to say John's style and way of thinking won't come good at Barnet or at somewhere else in the future, but Conference football has changed. A mate of mine who only comes once or twice a year to Dagenham came to Salford last week and couldn't believe how much football was played by both teams compared to a few years back. Pitches are better and so more football is played compared to 10-15 years ago??

Anyway, I won't be giving him any sort of reception, good or bad. As far as I am concerned he is Barnet's manager same as Justin Edinburgh was Orient's manager on Wednesday and I didn't clap or boo him. Stilly helped to give me some of the greatest memories I will ever have from sporting events in his time with us, but he has left twice in the last 5.5 years for what I believe to be purely financial reasons, and so I don't feel I need to show him any emotion good or bad.
ThatRoundThing

Stilly has just announced his retirement as a football manager but is staying at Barnet in a varied advisory position.
DI Mike Dashwood

I claim my fiver...............
Friendly Bee

Barnet fan here....

I'm old enough to remember very well Still and his awful football from his first tenure at the club.

He has signed a bunch of donkeys I'm sure you all laughed when he took 5 players off you.

Cousins is disaster in goal incapable of dominating his box
Adams is a very good sideways passer of the ball to players 5 yards away.... But useless
Sparkes not even classified as a footballer
Andre injured never played
Robson only good signing

Add in che Alexander full back from Aldershot gets to the halfway line and stops.... Played as a wing back you can see thats a problem.

Still has caused so much apathy amongst supporters our dreadful boring football people including myself have lost all enthusiasm.

I was calling for STILL OUT in early September it was obvious that squad he has put together is terrible.

I'm delighted he is not picking the team now... Supporters have a lot of time for Darren Currie as he was a brilliant player for us.

I'm tempted to come to the game tomorrow
Mark

I think it was fairly obvious in the summer that you guys wouldn't challenge based on the recruitment.

Not many keepers at this level dominate the box and that was probably the main failing of Cousins but we largely liked him here. Sparkes and Adams can't disagree, I was quite pleased he took them off the wage bill. Andre would be good if he was fit.

I felt in his last spell here a lot of the usual trademarks of his sides were missing. He picked 4 forwards on a regular basis and we didn't seem to work as hard off the ball as in previous tenures.

I don't buy this bad football stuff, when we played direct under him and were successful it was exciting. Passing across the back bores me to tears. At the moment Taylor seems to have us on the right balance of both approaches.
SUSSEX DAGGER

ThatRoundThing wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:35 pm Stilly has just announced his retirement as a football manager but is staying at Barnet in a varied advisory position.
Who has he signed for ?
RayleighDagger1986

Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:05 pm Still has won the Conference three times, the Isthmian League twice and the SOuthern League. He got little Dagenham & Redbridge to League One and with a tiny bit of luck would have made us stick there. It beats me why people seem to believe he knows nothing about football all of a sudden. Yes he's got his way of playing, and yes its not great to watch at times but FFS folks.

I'm happy to applaud him before the game on Saturday, but will be hoping for an "Auntie" once the game starts.
Mike,
I think Still's way of playing has become outraged and many of the current crop of managers are using modern tactics and formations. The success you mention is mostly old times when his style of play was probably more adopted by many other teams. Look at Wenger, his style and management was also in the end deemed outdated, its because like Still, just didn't move with the game, which is now modernised. I for one appreciate Still for everything he's done for the club but that's as far as it goes. I'm not sure he'll get a clap from me come 5 to 3 this Saturday.
DI Mike Dashwood

There is an inbetween though Mark, and this is my point, he hasn't evolved when the game has. Conference football is very different now to ten years ago. There is more football played by all sides, the game is at a quicker pace generally (there are exceptions either way to this). Nobody cares about the style when you are winning, that's nature of football fans, but they do when you are not. And I would say there is now less chance of winning with those tactics in the Conference. I am like you, I find knocking it around the back all day an absolute yawn, but there is somewhere between that and hoofball.

And anyway, we will get the chance to debate further I believe, as there is absolutely zero chance of this being his retirement I would say. Someone will come in for him in the summer and he will be off for his "last managerial job" once again (as I think Sussex is hinting at).

One thing I would say is, I know he had some health issues the other year (I remember him struggling to stand at one game) and pray to God it is not anything like that which has forced this decision.
RayleighDagger1986

https://www.barnetfc.com

On Barnet's website. He's retired!
Could have done that in the summer when we were in a mess and for me would have respected him more. But he decided to jump ship and go somewhere else (again). So, is he still Mr Dagenham? Not for me anymore!
Daggerman

With John Still you know what your going to get, his tactics are predictable and now outdated.
He was odds on to get fired if he lost to us on Saturday but the poor old boys arse has gone and he has fallen on his sword, Darren Curry May be in charge Saturday but I would wager that a certain Mr Mad Dog will be watching from the stand