FCUK A DUCK

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

Bloke next to me in the sieve was an o’s fan with his mate. He did well at disguising it till they scored. Nice enough fella but when we equalised I did tell him I was worried for Orient now, he said why and I told him because we’ll now win it. Sure enough we did. He left as soon as we went ahead and bid me happy new year.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
DaggerJoel11

Fantastic victory, every time we seem to be on the verge of defeat and everyone thinks our unbeaten run is about to end, we conjure up a comeback like that. 8 wins from 10, 25 points from 30, and not a single loss since the start of November - who'd have thought it? We're 13th and all of a sudden play-offs aren't too far off because, after all, we've just beaten the best two sides in the division and in neither game have looked substantially inferior in any department. Great to banish demons from previous Orient clashes too, all those years of them having the bragging rights and us being consistently underwhelming against them forgotten after yesterday!

Word on attendance, it may read 2300 home fans but I'd say at least 300 of those were O's fans in the home end, there were so many faces I'd never seen before in the sieve and in the aftermath of our winner there were about 10 people around me who were looking very dejected. Some were found by stewards, who took the decision to simply take them into the away end. All that said, though, even 2000 home supporters is fantastic and hopefully we can get at least 3/4 of that for Saturday. I do wonder how many of those were people going purely for the derby factor, or West Ham fans given that their side had no game.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Diggerthedog

Great crowd and atmosphere, let’s hope a few come back, be disappointed to see 1200 homes fans this weekend.

Nothing but praise for our boys with the effort being shown, to come back from a goal down against the two best teams in the division is remarkable.

The first 10-15 we went at them and we should have scored from Wilkinson but it went straight at the keeper. From then on until they scored it was possession city from them but they barely created, this was due to the solid defensive work and you could see some of our boys were blowing and right so given the Salford effort.

The goal from them was coming and it sparked us into life. The boys were literally down on the canvas and 3 rounds behind with 2 to go. What a great pass from McQueen to set up the equaliser with the man himself finishing the rebound, how many passes in that move as it was front to back. The winner was a well served one for Nunny, brilliant.

Nothing else to say other than YFD!
DI Mike Dashwood

Game wise it was an interesting one. I thought for first 10 to 15 minutes we were better side. Then in all honesty from minutes 15-75 Orient did dominate in many ways BUT, they never really tested Els that much. One very good save after about 35 mins, and a couple of good holds from long range efforts, but not wave after wave of dangerous attacks. Brill on the other hand made two brilliant saves for them (after about 5 and 40 minutes).
We were under the pump most around 50-60 mins, and I felt we were doing ok in the period in which they actually ended up scoring. And then obviously the last few minutes we were under huge pressure, and Els made another great save then.

Did we deserve it, did we have some luck?? Hard to say, but you make your own luck over a season I think. A draw probably would have been about right, but we probably should have beaten Halifax so it's horses for courses really.

Crowd wise there were a few of the Orient fans in our sections (which I personally don't have an issue with) but was still 2,000-2,100 home fans which is a good sign. Yes, some of these will have been friends and family of regulars and/or curious West Ham fans but that doesn't matter. So many times we have had the same situation on Boxing Day games and these kind of people will have gone home having watched a yawn-fest. Yesterday they will hopefully have gone away feeling they watched a good game and got good value for money, and will be back again soon.
Leopardman

Was great to see the ground so full and a brilliant result too. Yes Orient had more possession but think we had the best chances. Wilkinson is really talented who challenges for every ball and has great feet too, definitely can play at a higher level and would be a real bonus if we can keep him for the season. Balanta is so cool with the ball, Boucaud like without the frustration.
Mike the Dagger

Wilkinson has a little bit of mongrel in him, that bit of bite and meanness that must make him a real handful to play against. I love that he is so willing to shoot on sight. Balanta is a footballer. Add Munns and McQueen and suddenly going forward we have a real threat.

Then e have shored up the back with Manny and Clark, suddenly it's all working brilliantly.

Great times right now, but a long way to go. That said we have come so far so quickly. Enjoy the ride.
Last edited by Mike the Dagger on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NBDag

Genuine question here- what luck did we have that people keep mentioning? I think their calls for a penalty were more desperation than any genuine handball occurring, and the keeper parrying Wilkinson’s shot to McQueen isn’t luck, it’s just a mixture of a powerful shot and bad goalkeeping.

On the other hand you could argue Orient had bags of luck. Lucky that Ling didn’t get booked for diving. Lucky that the referee and linesmen didn’t realise it is a foul to hold players back for headers or throw arms into the backs of their heads. Not to forget the luck of a toepunt finding the right side of the post to bounce in.

Think it’s harsh on our team to say we had luck, although I’m biased, I really thought we were up against 14 yesterday. It wasn’t luck that got us 3 points. It was us having the determination and spirit to never give up, and ultimately the talent to have the lion’s share of goalscoring opportunities.
Adrian

NBDag wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:45 pm Genuine question here- what luck did we have that people keep mentioning? I think their calls for a penalty were more desperation than any genuine handball occurring, and the keeper parrying Wilkinson’s shot to McQueen isn’t luck, it’s just a mixture of a powerful shot and bad goalkeeping.

On the other hand you could argue Orient had bags of luck. Lucky that Ling didn’t get booked for diving. Lucky that the referee and linesmen didn’t realise it is a foul to hold players back for headers or throw arms into the backs of their heads. Not to forget the luck of a toepunt finding the right side of the post to bounce in.

Think it’s harsh on our team to say we had luck, although I’m biased, I really thought we were up against 14 yesterday. It wasn’t luck that got us 3 points. It was us having the determination and spirit to never give up, and ultimately the talent to have the lion’s share of goalscoring opportunities.
We were lucky that they weren't a genuinely good team.
The 5-3-2 didn't work very well especially in the second half and a better team would have taken us apart.
Their goal wasn't lucky. He's aimed to put it there.
Our winner took a deflection. There's a bit of luck.
NBDag

To be honest I disagree that they weren’t a genuinely good team. They were the best I’ve seen at our place this year. Just that we are also at our best so far this year. Our tactics not working well yet winning isn’t really luck, it’s poorer tactics on their side. And I will never ever accept the point that people can aim a toepunt. They can control the power but once it’s left your boot it’s anyone’s guess, especially at this level.

Fair enough if Nunn’s was defected. I didn’t see that at the time but I can see it kicking up on the highlights. If that’s a deflection then that’s reasonable.

Everything else is nonsense though. Not fair to try and take anything away from the team’s performance yesterday. It was superb.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Let's get real here about the crowd ,the 2300 home crowd was made up of at least 2/3rd of O's supporters for the extra home gate. Stood on the Bury Road Terrace and when Nunn scored there was only the normal attendess who reacted . At least two hundred had to be moved from the hatched area by the stewards anybody who is regular knows you are going to be moved if you stand there.

Back to the football thought again we have one of the best defences in open play , my worry is always at restarts as we are on occasions still a complete mess.We need to work harder at this because opposition are going to target this weakness as a number are ,Salford Saturday opted for the long throw Saturday as did the O's yesterday and that is the time our defence appeared under the most pressure in my opinion. In open play I thought we coped with everything very well.

Thought Belanta was fantastic and Wilkinson put in a great shift. Munns was a complete pest all the time he was in the pitch. Notice we keep him out the box when we defended Corners which kept two O's out the area where we are most vunerable. Interesting we abandoned that when he went off.

Ok some say we were fortunate , ok I accept that but it's a long time since we had a team with the guts desire and courage of this current squad and I for one rejoice at that
BB-Dagger

You make your own luck in football it doesn’t land at your feet and present itself, to say we were lucky is just bollocks,we worked hard and got the result we fought hard for!
A fair percentage of shots at goal at all levels of football get deflected so once again to say Ben Nunns goal was lucky is total nonsense, would you have rather drawn the game than won it with a deflection?? No you wouldn’t so as I said before it bollocks, if it had deflected off of the arse of a pigeon I wouldn’t care.
There is talk of fickle supporters on another thread and this is another example of it, we won.. we’re happy so let’s enjoy the moment and not look for the negative.
COYD
Richie

Jeeze, some people are touchy. Whether we earned the luck, or were overdue some luck is up for debate.

But any deflected goal has an element of luck attached.

I agree with others that a draw would have been a fair result, but great day, and obviously it was great to get the win.
Adrian

BB-Dagger wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:38 pm You make your own luck in football it doesn’t land at your feet and present itself, to say we were lucky is just bollocks,we worked hard and got the result we fought hard for!
A fair percentage of shots at goal at all levels of football get deflected so once again to say Ben Nunns goal was lucky is total nonsense, would you have rather drawn the game than won it with a deflection?? No you wouldn’t so as I said before it bollocks, if it had deflected off of the arse of a pigeon I wouldn’t care.
There is talk of fickle supporters on another thread and this is another example of it, we won.. we’re happy so let’s enjoy the moment and not look for the negative.
COYD
Why have you made the assumption that saying we were lucky is negative?
We've had some terrible luck at times so it's about time we got some.
You seem to have taken this to heart for absolutely no reason.
Adrian

NBDag wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:22 pm To be honest I disagree that they weren’t a genuinely good team. They were the best I’ve seen at our place this year. Just that we are also at our best so far this year. Our tactics not working well yet winning isn’t really luck, it’s poorer tactics on their side. And I will never ever accept the point that people can aim a toepunt. They can control the power but once it’s left your boot it’s anyone’s guess, especially at this level.

Fair enough if Nunn’s was defected. I didn’t see that at the time but I can see it kicking up on the highlights. If that’s a deflection then that’s reasonable.

Everything else is nonsense though. Not fair to try and take anything away from the team’s performance yesterday. It was superb.
They were a very average team. Good teams that have as much possession as they did create a lot more.
I can name three previous Conference winners that were miles better than Orient were yesterday without even thinking about it.
Diggerthedog

Orient were without their best player in Jobi Mcnuff and had to play Alabi who is crap in the middle and Karoma out wide which upset their rhythm, they might have looked average yesterday but they have been best team in the league this season, injuries are hurting hem now. Salford looked marginally better than them when we played them at home but given their last few results they are just good individuals and not a team.

It’s hard to judge how good teams are from playing them now as earlier in the season we made everyone look like Barcelona, even Ebbsfleet at home who should have been 5-0 up after 20 minutes. Hartlepool say we are the worst team they have faced this season, and in both games bar 2 goals in injury time who can blame them.

You can get at any team in this league with our front attacking options, hopefully they all stay.