Ebbsfleet

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
EssexDagger!

Time for us to take advantage of a club in money difficulties & put in some ridiculous low offers for a few of their players!!

Danny Kedwell could tick all those boxes in what we are looking for in a striker, I’d personally would take Corey Whitley back too...
Dagdale

Now there is quite a surprise! Didn't they have some Middle Eastern owner with shed loads of cash and one side stand developed recently with another to which our game last season was the last team to visit before that too was put under the bulldozers? Thought it was quite 'strange' how to a lot of non league pundits they've fallen away early this season from a good play off contender, maybe that might explain something more to it now. Go for their goalkeeper one of the best in non league.
Diggerthedog

Found it very strange that they were under performing with that squad but we now know why. The signing of Cheek was barmy given his wage. Can we have that lad from Cov?
DevonDagger

Can someone tell me if I'm understanding this correctly...
Fleet players and staff turned up four days late for the start of pre-season training because they hadn't been paid.
2nd of August.... Ebbsfleet sign Cheek.

Signing a player for a fee, on reportedly hefty wages, seems more than a little strange if you have been struggling to pay the current squad's wages.

Depending on the demands, I'd only potentially consider re-signing either former player to be honest. Say what you want about Cheek, he gets goals.
Last edited by DevonDagger on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Whitley, Winfield and Weston would do us no harm.

It was only a week or so ago that someone suggested we follow their example of going down and restructuring - turns out they’re following our model.
Mark

Would bite their arm off for Kedwell and Corey. Wouldn't particularly want Cheek I didn't think he did a lot. Weston and Winfield are good too. Probably end up with none of them though.
Alan

Just a reminder of the scale of what’s going on there losses wise. Their accounts show a loss of 1.9m last year and 2m the year before.
BarkingRambo

Didn’t Thommo say everyone we sold went with sell on clauses. We might be able to use the fact they would have to pay us some of their transfer money to get a cheaper deal. Would certainly take whitely back. Cheek frustrated me a lot at times but he would have scored some of the chances we have blown this season and spent most of pre season with this squad so he should fit straight back in
Oxhead

Not a big fan of Cheek but did anyone think he looked a lot slimmer than when he was with us. Would have Corey and Kedwell definately
Mark

Yeh we all thought he looked slimmer and fitter. Still put the defenders under zero pressure tho.
NBDag

Mark wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm Would bite their arm off for Kedwell and Corey. Wouldn't particularly want Cheek I didn't think he did a lot. Weston and Winfield are good too. Probably end up with none of them though.
Probably would rephrase the sentence saying you’d bite someone’s arm off for corey...

Whitely is exactly what we could do with in midfield however. But funnily enough seeing as a fair few of our fans didn’t give him the nicest of receptions the other week, I wouldn’t see him being eager to come back.
DevonDagger

NBDag wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:18 pm
Mark wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm Would bite their arm off for Kedwell and Corey. Wouldn't particularly want Cheek I didn't think he did a lot. Weston and Winfield are good too. Probably end up with none of them though.
Probably would rephrase the sentence saying you’d bite someone’s arm off for corey...

Whitely is exactly what we could do with in midfield however. But funnily enough seeing as a fair few of our fans didn’t give him the nicest of receptions the other week, I wouldn’t see him being eager to come back.
Don't think Hoyte had the best of receptions during his time away either. Can't see that playing a part really in any decision-making process if we seriously considered attempting to re-sign him.
DevonDagger

This thread seems to have found its way onto the Romain departure one, which is understandable given there's a link. Gonna post my response to it here anyway - focusing on Corey Whitely.

General consensus seems to be most would take Corey back in a heartbeat and 50/50 on Cheek?

It's all hypothetical and if I had to put money on it, I don't except to see either back to be honest.

I do question the overwhelming positive reaction to any potential return for Corey. He was seriously out of form when he left us, and we're talking 6 months poor form, not a patch of 6 games. Consequently he was dropped and for his final 3 months with us, only started 2 games.

He had a fresh go at it with Ebbsfleet and a good start to this season, but again he is now 8 games and counting without a goal. 4 goals and 3 assists (two of those against us!) is his tally this season so far. Not terrible but hardly spectacular.

Obviously many factors to consider, too many for me to care to list them all. But our clubs situation just prior his to departure, Ebbsfleet's recent problems that which have emerged must be considered.

However, depending on any potential wages and fee Corey would demand - should we really be bending over backwards? Is he better than what we currently have? Almost definitely, but is he the best option?

This too, is only on the basis we are looking for new players - which reading between the lines I genuinely believe so.
Granddad

No crocodile tears from me. Ebbsfleet took advantage of our problems and now it's our turn. If we could re-sign Cory plus Kedwell as far as Im concerned justice will have been served.