Taylor should leave.....

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
stanton101

dagger4eva wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am I really wish it was as simple as 'Taylor should go' to solve our problem, but I’m not sure it is …. not yet at least!

As a few people have already pointed out, with the shoestring/non-existent budget available to Taylor/Harris – it was generally expected and therefore should be of little surprise to anyone that we have managed to assemble what is currently the 3rd worst (albeit enormous) squad of players in the division.

In terms of the squad itself, the worrying thing for me is that it all seems very one dimensional, one paced, not a single stand out performer / star throughout the 25 players. They are all a very similar kind of ‘meh’. No star in the making, no Peter Gain, no leaders.

In fact, after the game on Saturday, by the corner flag near the old club shop, one of the players who shall remain anonymous was called over by one of his friends. He was asked, mate what the hell’s going on. His response “mate, we need to some more men in this team”. I couldn’t have agreed with him more.

I first really started to worry about the Taylor/Harris partnership a couple of weeks back when watching the substitutes ‘warm up’ during HT against Ebbsfleet. It was literally one of the most hideous things I’d ever seen on a Football pitch, and thankfully managed to record a part of it and post to the Daggers Friends FB group. Things like that come from the top, and IF that is the best PT/TH can muster up, then we may as well all give up now.

IMO - going down to the National League South would be complete and utter disaster, particularly given we now have investors on board with some actual dosh. The trouble is, we are very nearly at a stage where only 1 or 2 teams are going to be catchable. Chesterfield and Maidstone in 19th & 20th respectively are thankfully just 5 clear of us. Next up is Maidenhead in 18th who already have a quite substantial 8 point gap. Unless form/results change ASAP we could be cut off without a single hope in hell of surviving before people have opened up a single window on their Advent Calendars.

I believe PT has been given the green light to sign the right players he feels are needed, and that we’ll be announcing something on that front soon. So that is 1 thing to potentially cling on to. At least we have a bit of relief with the FA Cup this weekend. Win that and get a cup run going and perhaps a few positive vibes may start to return.
Something has to give soon though, because going down, with a whimper cannot be considered as an option.
Good post mate.
The question is though, would you as a investor be prepared to part with your money and give it to a manager who has assembled already a bunch of players that are all very similar in ability?
I agree we were never going to get real quality given the constraints we were put under but these players do still get paid a wage. Surely if you already have four or five players who are of similar ability, then your money would be put to better use waiting for a better player to become available rather than going and getting yet another player who won't improve the team to play alongside the other four or five.
This is why I've said all along from people I know who've worked and are still working in the game. Peter Taylor is unquestionably a good coach, but he is not a manager. If someone else bought the players we need and he trained them I've no doubt we would be comfortable come May. But as it stands we've no chance of staying up, which as you say, and I agree, would be a disaster.
Alan

DTD: I’ll take that as an attempt to avoid revealing that you don’t know who we could have got for what we are paying for Mullings and an acknowledgement that pretty much the entire squad need replacing, not merely Mullings.

So we are back to anyone managing this club would needs funds to replace most of the squad.
daggerfirst

Alan wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:10 pm DTD: I’ll take that as an attempt to avoid revealing that you don’t know who we could have got for what we are paying for Mullings and an acknowledgement that pretty much the entire squad need replacing, not merely Mullings.

So we are back to anyone managing this club would needs funds to replace most of the squad.
Gary Hill kept Woking up on a small budget.
Dagger83

Looking at budgets in islolation is misleading though. There's a big difference between having a small budget over a number of years with a fairly stable squad and having a firesale and rebuilding from scratch with a whole new management team.

Things look bleak but we are where we are and need to improve. Comparing against those who have done better with similar or smaller budgets doesn't move us forward.
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Alan

Particularly if you don’t know what the budgets you are comparing are!