Gutless.

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

Richie wrote:I couldn't make it today, but to suggest we need 6 new players for the starting 11 is well OTT in my opinion. The keeper and back four are pretty solid and with Murphy/Hines (if he stays) back fit I don't think we're as bad a side as people are suggesting.
This. The same team that almost got relegated last season came back after the summer with loanees such as Silva and Sharif gone and just Saah and Murphy really added to the first 11 and we had an alright start. Add Hines to the team with appearances here and there from Obafemi and it took us to the verge of the play offs.

When the loanees disappear, the squad is streamlined a bit further and we make 2-4 additions, we'll be alright and we'll go again. I think people underestimate the value of a pre season. At the minute, we're going week to week, changing team, any philosophy Wayne implemented over the summer has largely disappear. We need a good 3-4 week training block over the summer to readapt the way we want to play, drum that into the players get a consistent 11-15 regulars sorted out. I hope over the summer Wayne brings in a bit more experience. We've got some good young players here (Connors, Shields, Obafemi etc) but at the moment, they don't have any experienced players to bounce off of. We could badly do with 1-2 Arber/Gain/Currie type players to help out.

I will say this also. Femi has been useless this season and today was the tipping point for me. Couldn't control, slow to pass when he did have the ball and his ability/confidence to take a man on has completely disintegrated. If you'd have told me 18 months ago that I'd be saying get rid of him, I'd have laughed at you. But honestly, I'm struggling to see him becoming any better in a Wayne Burnett team. I think it's time for him to move on perhaps.
Diggerthedog

Today was poor and unforgivable.

We are 11th after 45 games and deservedly so. Been without arguably our best two players for then last 12 games and our season is over, played teams who are desperate for points and we fall short but will finish way above them and deservedly so.

Are the the management perfect? No because if they was they would be managing a bigger team. Do they have a lot to learn? Yes! As do a lot of our squad very young in terms of age.

Take 11th for granted if you like, I would rather that then a season of struggle and couple of wins like Portsmouth and Northampton have done of the last few weeks. With much bigger budgets then we have.

Boooooooooooo

£179 for a top half season ticket for a league two team? Yes please.
matt_drfc

leewilson wrote:
Richie wrote:I couldn't make it today, but to suggest we need 6 new players for the starting 11 is well OTT in my opinion. The keeper and back four are pretty solid and with Murphy/Hines (if he stays) back fit I don't think we're as bad a side as people are suggesting.
This. The same team that almost got relegated last season came back after the summer with loanees such as Silva and Sharif gone and just Saah and Murphy really added to the first 11 and we had an alright start. Add Hines to the team with appearances here and there from Obafemi and it took us to the verge of the play offs.

When the loanees disappear, the squad is streamlined a bit further and we make 2-4 additions, we'll be alright and we'll go again. I think people underestimate the value of a pre season. At the minute, we're going week to week, changing team, any philosophy Wayne implemented over the summer has largely disappear. We need a good 3-4 week training block over the summer to readapt the way we want to play, drum that into the players get a consistent 11-15 regulars sorted out. I hope over the summer Wayne brings in a bit more experience. We've got some good young players here (Connors, Shields, Obafemi etc) but at the moment, they don't have any experienced players to bounce off of. We could badly do with 1-2 Arber/Gain/Currie type players to help out.

I will say this also. Femi has been useless this season and today was the tipping point for me. Couldn't control, slow to pass when he did have the ball and his ability/confidence to take a man on has completely disintegrated. If you'd have told me 18 months ago that I'd be saying get rid of him, I'd have laughed at you. But honestly, I'm struggling to see him becoming any better in a Wayne Burnett team. I think it's time for him to move on perhaps.
Agreed 100%
Daggers No 2 Fan

Diggerthedog wrote:Today was poor and unforgivable.

We are 11th after 45 games and deservedly so. Been without arguably our best two players for then last 12 games and our season is over, played teams who are desperate for points and we fall short but will finish way above them and deservedly so.

Are the the management perfect? No because if they was they would be managing a bigger team. Do they have a lot to learn? Yes! As do a lot of our squad very young in terms of age.

Take 11th for granted if you like, I would rather that then a season of struggle and couple of wins like Portsmouth and Northampton have done of the last few weeks. With much bigger budgets then we have.

Boooooooooooo

£179 for a top half season ticket for a league two team? Yes please.
That we're 11th just shows how poor this
League has been.

£179 for two wins in 5 months. £179 for the utter shit that was served up today, and in quite a few other occasions.
No thanks.
Last edited by Daggers No 2 Fan on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diggerthedog

You can only beat what is put infront of you. Cry me a river.
USADAGGER nick

I may be out of it on this one, but I'll give my two cents anyway. Did we play like crud today? Probably (I couldn't listen to the game and so don't know for sure) but look at this season as a whole.

Most of us at the start of the season were thinking we were going to be in Northhamptons position and deservedly so. So being 12 with a small chance to finish top 10 is a wonderful sight to see.

Do we need some new blood in the team? More than likely. Do we need to get rid of some players? Probably as well (any team not improving is getting worse)

So was today's performance bad? Yes. Has the last month or so been not the greatest? Absolutely. But seeing our position, all of you doom and bloomers need to take a break and relax. We're safe and have another year in the football league.

Nick
USADagger
speedy

USADagger I respect your opinion's on here but having to listen to games online due to your location doesn't really always paint a true picture, we have to sit/stand thru these utterly gutless, clueless performances week in week out. I say we have to because we love our club and that's why we do it. I have backed Wayne from the word go but I really am losing patience. There doesn't seem to be any game plan, we never see the same eleven two games in a row, hense no settled side. Once again the man showed he can't take criticism arguing with fans behind his dugout, quite clearly heard him say yesterday, if you don't like it come down here and do the job yourself. He's the manager for god sake, rise above it, only two weeks ago he said ,the buck stops with him. Would I like to see him still here next season, as Lee says, get a full pre season under out belts and see if there is any progression but if not then the board will have to act swiftly before its to late. So yes I would.
TheLion

Two home wins since Dec 1st, and one of them the result of the luckiest goal I have ever seen.

How anyone can say our defence is ok when we have not defended a set price all season astounds me.

We need a towering centre back and a fit Murphy just for starters.
Mark

If Femi goes it is a failing of the manager rather than the player. He did very well under Still and has been poor ever since Burnett took over. He slaughters the guy every week from the touchline and seemingly can't manage him to perform the way John could.

I've been going over the daggers for 18 years and our home performances since December have been the least enjoyable I have ever witnessed. There is no heart aside from Ogogo and Doe. Burnett seems obsessed with us passing the ball to the extent that he makes us pass it around at the back when under pressure and going absolutely nowhere. Hardly anybody makes a run or moves and the passing is deadly slow. He's been watching us play like it for months and completely failed to do anything to fix it. Certain players who don't turn up week after week seem to get a free pass and others have one bad game and get dropped. He changes the team every week and we look like we have little gameplan. Some of our best players have been very poor and look bereft of confidence. Again the manager has failed to fire them up.

If he can turn it around over the summer I'll be amazed. 3 months to turn us into a side who can pass and move quickly and accurately is a big ask. We looked great with Hines and Murphy on fire but at least one of those won't be here and he'll be very hard pressed to replace them. Add to that that teams worked us out this season within 4 months and we seemingly aren't good enough to overcome it, we could easily start as badly as we're ending. The division is so tight nobody can convince me we're really better than sides in the bottom 3.
Auntie Merge

speedy wrote:USADagger I respect your opinion's on here but having to listen to games online due to your location doesn't really always paint a true picture, we have to sit/stand thru these utterly gutless, clueless performances week in week out. I say we have to because we love our club and that's why we do it. I have backed Wayne from the word go but I really am losing patience. There doesn't seem to be any game plan, we never see the same eleven two games in a row, hense no settled side. Once again the man showed he can't take criticism arguing with fans behind his dugout, quite clearly heard him say yesterday, if you don't like it come down here and do the job yourself. He's the manager for god sake, rise above it, only two weeks ago he said ,the buck stops with him. Would I like to see him still here next season, as Lee says, get a full pre season under out belts and see if there is any progression but if not then the board will have to act swiftly before its to late. So yes I would.

I sit immediately behind Wayne and I never heard him say that yesterday. What he DID turn and say was 'he Is just 19, he is just 19, give the lad a chance. If you want someone who is 25 who can do the job, give me the money'.
Diggerthedog

Mark wrote:If Femi goes it is a failing of the manager rather than the player. He did very well under Still and has been poor ever since Burnett took over. He slaughters the guy every week from the touchline and seemingly can't manage him to perform the way John could.

I've been going over the daggers for 18 years and our home performances since December have been the least enjoyable I have ever witnessed. There is no heart aside from Ogogo and Doe. Burnett seems obsessed with us passing the ball to the extent that he makes us pass it around at the back when under pressure and going absolutely nowhere. Hardly anybody makes a run or moves and the passing is deadly slow. He's been watching us play like it for months and completely failed to do anything to fix it. Certain players who don't turn up week after week seem to get a free pass and others have one bad game and get dropped. He changes the team every week and we look like we have little gameplan. Some of our best players have been very poor and look bereft of confidence. Again the manager has failed to fire them up.

If he can turn it around over the summer I'll be amazed. 3 months to turn us into a side who can pass and move quickly and accurately is a big ask. We looked great with Hines and Murphy on fire but at least one of those won't be here and he'll be very hard pressed to replace them. Add to that that teams worked us out this season within 4 months and we seemingly aren't good enough to overcome it, we could easily start as badly as we're ending. The division is so tight nobody can convince me we're really better than sides in the bottom 3.
You say Femi was better under still simple answer to that is he is not Wayne's player he was from the previous set up who tatics suited Femi's very limited ability as a footballer. Run with your head down and chuck it in the box is not the way Wayne wants to play. We had a much worse run under still then we have had at any time This season.

Players that Wayne inherited are coming out of contract now and I can see most off them leaving. Connors will be our left back next season.
nomis

I've got to be honest, I could do a better job than Wayne has been recently...I reckon even my bus mates could and they ain't the full.ticket!!!
From.what I can see they are not playing as a team, nobody seems.to be anticipating what anybody else is about to do, so when.the ball.is played to them, they're not expecting it and.So.there give it away....It's the basic stuff that they're not doing right, stuff which even under 11 teams do every week. Not running into.space etc - they were so static yesterday it was unreal. They have to start moving for each other - so the player on the ball has options, then.be told always expect the ball...So.that if it is played to them.It's not a shock...
It's the basics...
Dagdale

Well reflecting here after yesterdays 'bad day' feel quite frustrated that we didn't finish the season in a far better way. Yes Wayne has achieved his objective from the start of the season and kept us in this Division and of course were all very grateful, well done especially as we were certs to drop out and to be honest pretty SURE WE WILL if we don't come out of the traps a lot more better next season and STAY a decent side. Seen a lot of Daggers this season and after going down 2-0 to first one Fleetwood away and thinking Oh No here we go again, its carrying on-real bad again WE, for a good 2-3 months pending a couple of real bad showings looked a side with rhythm and showed a lot of effort and me along with quite a few others were quite taken back the transformation and yes we rendered a bit of luck here and there but we were quite sparkled by it all and thought our tide is turning at last. What followed generally has been heartless and yes injuries here and there didn't help but quite frustrated many of the teams we were up against were very much there for the taking and we just fell badly and didn't show up and what we witnessed was, well quite pathetic to be honest. I don't think any fan in his or her right mind would expect every game to be a honour this level and with the financial clout we lack we always know were going be up against it but just too show more effort is the one thing we've missed a good part of this year, and one we would make no complaints about and really hope its a lesson that we learn to over ride quite quickly. Just hope on the one game left at Cheltenham we close the season on a higher note and leave us in the Summer feeling a bit more confident for our team next season.
dagger4eva

Most of what l wanted / needed to say has already been said. Was grateful to WB for coming in the bar after the game so l could make my feelings known in person.

Im definitely with Mark though.. all results aside, the home performances this year have definitely been the least exciting / entertaining in all the years ive been a supporter. Was actually desperate for a 4th goal yesterday just to enable me to get back in the club. Nonetheless gave in to it around 85th minute.

Imagine the on pitch presentation was a bit of an embarassing affair for all concerned.
Daggers No 2 Fan

Diggerthedog wrote:
Mark wrote:If Femi goes it is a failing of the manager rather than the player. He did very well under Still and has been poor ever since Burnett took over. He slaughters the guy every week from the touchline and seemingly can't manage him to perform the way John could.

You say Femi was better under still simple answer to that is he is not Wayne's player he was from the previous set up who tatics suited Femi's very limited ability as a footballer. Run with your head down and chuck it in the box is not the way Wayne wants to play. We had a much worse run under still then we have had at any time This season.

Players that Wayne inherited are coming out of contract now and I can see most off them leaving. Connors will be our left back next season.
Femi was far from perfect but to have gone backwards as quickly as he has is a failing of the manager. If Wayne doesn't want players getting the ball in the box, then he is clueless. What the hell is the point of a wide player getting forward and then playing the ball backwards. I'll answer that for you - there is none.
I suggest you go away and have a look at the goals we've scored this season. How many have come from slowly building up the play? I'll make a guess at none. Most have come from getting the ball forward quickly.

I see we're harping back to players not being Waynes again. Well if you've got a set of resources available to you, then you make the best possible use of them, you don't try and use them in ways that don't suit them.
Only a couple of regular outfield players that Wayne inherited are coming out of contract - Hoyte and Femi. There are as many players that he gave contracts to out of contract.

I'm with Mark, as someone who has been going a long time, the performance at home have been some of the least enjoyable I've seen. At least last season there was a bit of fight and when we went behind a glimpse that we might get it back.