Glyn Hopkin is selling his shares for £1

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
ARNU

I accept your compliment VOR but apart from successfully irritating many on here for years with what clearly is bollix of the highest order I think you'll find that people's emotional state over what is basically a very trivial matter in the entire scheme of things is very easy to upset. Just occasionally some sense passes for a post I make. People really do think being a footballer , manager or club owner requires them to take it in the botty to please a few moany fans. They would actually never apply the same rationale to their own situations. If diggerthedog ( not just dtd but he's a good example)has a bad week at work I guarantee he dosent give his wages back and if the boss gets on his back for long enough he'd go elsewhere for more money.Finally if he owned Dagenham and it was haemorrhaging money fans and support he'd sell it for a quid as well. Finally if I were him and he were Glynn Hopkins he'd tell me to ****** right off lol!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Diggerthedog

I never have a bad week at work. If I commit to something I go ahead not bottle it after a few months.
Auntie Merge

Voice of reason wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:29 pm
ARNU wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:39 pm If I was Glynn i wouldn't give a shiny shit what any of us think. He owes/ owed us nothing. He could have been far less decent about things he did like paying wages etc after he'd gone. Don't know him , don't like crappy nissans either but I'm struggling to see why anyone thinks he's the bad guy here. Football clubs are businesses or playthings and sometimes both. How's anyone going to make money buying D&R I struggle to see.
I like the new Arnu
You should have my user name :thumbu:
And this is why I can’t understand why so much hate for the guy that spunked £1.3 million up the wall in one season and has sponsored the club in one form or another for 25 years. All his money did was help us live beyond our means; the team we have now is the team we should have had after we got relegated from the football league. If he had pulled the plug at the end of the season we’d still be in the situation we are now.

And for those of you who think I am looking through rose-tinted spectacles, I am thinking of the club long term here; a club that with or without a new investor will be looking to local
businesses for sponsorship. Let’s not alienate our potential income streams.
Mike the Dagger

Auntie Merge wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:23 pm
And this is why I can’t understand why so much hate for the guy that spunked £1.3 million up the wall in one season and has sponsored the club in one form or another for 25 years. All his money did was help us live beyond our means; the team we have now is the team we should have had after we got relegated from the football league. If he had pulled the plug at the end of the season we’d still be in the situation we are now.

And for those of you who think I am looking through rose-tinted spectacles, I am thinking of the club long term here; a club that with or without a new investor will be looking to local
No we wouldn't be in the situation we are now if he hadn't have pulled out mid season.

If the club had been made aware that Hopkin was pulling out at the end of the season we could have worked toward that by not selling players at cut down prices in February, and planning a controlled budget reduction into the current season. Yes it would still have been painful, but we wouldn't have nearly gone out of business in April/May time.

Instead of which, we were lumbered with a budget for the second half of the season, agreed by Hopkin, that we could not afford, a fire sale of our best players, and scrabbling to survive to the end of the season, which has left us in a total mess going into the current season.

Yeah I know, he was never on the board and never agreed the budget... Total bullsh1t!
Auntie Merge

Mike the Dagger wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:47 pm
Auntie Merge wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:23 pm

No we wouldn't be in the situation we are now if he hadn't have pulled out mid season.

If the club had been made aware that Hopkin was pulling out at the end of the season we could have worked toward that by not selling players at cut down prices in February, and planning a controlled budget reduction into the current season. Yes it would still have been painful, but we wouldn't have nearly gone out of business in April/May time.

Instead of which, we were lumbered with a budget for the second half of the season, agreed by Hopkin, that we could not afford, a fire sale of our best players, and scrabbling to survive to the end of the season, which has left us in a total mess going into the current season.

Yeah I know, he was never on the board and never agreed the budget... Total bullsh1t!

If he was on the board and did agree the budget, why wasnt it in a signed contract so that he had to see things through to the end. Given the problems with the previous takeover discussions, surely someone on the board would have learnt from experience and not accepted a handshake. Some of these players were already signed based on projected income from Tamplin.

It feels like someone who is on the
board is passing the blame for everything onto Hopkin. Glyn might have been a contributor to the mess but if we are looking for someone to blame it needs to be someone closer to home.
Mike the Dagger

Auntie Merge wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 pm
If he was on the board and did agree the budget, why wasnt it in a signed contract so that he had to see things through to the end. Given the problems with the previous takeover discussions, surely someone on the board would have learnt from experience and not accepted a handshake. Some of these players were already signed based on projected income from Tamplin.

It feels like someone who is on the
board is passing the blame for everything onto Hopkin. Glyn might have been a contributor to the mess but if we are looking for someone to blame it needs to be someone closer to home.
There was a signed contract, which he honoured, to buy into the club for £1m. Having done that, he was party to setting the budget as a co-opted member of the board of the football club as it stood.

This was never formalised as it was assumed that the change of structure would happen meaning the new board would take over in fairly short order,, which in the end didn't happen until after Hopkin had decided to pull out. He has used this to play the "astonished" card, but Hopkin was involved in setting the playing budget for 2017/18 and he knows it. That budget was unsustainable without his extra input, he also knew that... and that is provable.

It was naive, but not unreasonable, for the rest of the board to assume that someone who they had known for years, who had paid a significant amount of money over to buy a majority stake in the football club, and had been involved in setting budgets he knew were unsustainable without him would not walk away mid season and bring it all down.

Never trust a second hand car salesman!
Diggerthedog

Loving this, the boards voice arguing with Hopkins voice. Let me get some popcorn.

edited by admin.
ARNU

Shoulda put a roof down the Bury road end!
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Mike the Dagger

Diggerthedog wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 pm Loving this, the boards voice arguing with Hopkins voice. Let me get some popcorn.
Sorry, if I had known you were trying to follow, I would have used shorter words.
Diggerthedog

:blum:
SUSSEX DAGGER

Time to draw a line and move on and hope the board have not landed with another lame duck if this goes ahead.
How anybody can even form an opinion of this take over beggars belief, nobody knows who they are.

Time to look back at the positives of this most darkest of times.

One I saw at Bedrock Park on Monday when Barnet kicked off and dispatched the ball into the crowd within 3 seconds.

At least we have hopefully seen the last of these tedious tatitics from Football from the stone age.

Thought that some of the chants that did not involve vulgar language were rather amusing and as Churchill found after the War People have short memories.

My memory is short ,but can remember one Person who walked away from this shambles Scott free

You can argue who was in the wrong pledgeing this money ,or not ensuring the money pledged was paid but one thing is inescapable and that is Barny Rubble Still spent it and spunked it up on a bunch of duds.

25 points dropped against the bottom 10 teams,which would have been 29 if not for a fortunate last minute own goal and penalty.
The money spent on that team last season hit the dizzy heights of 12th before it went tits up and went out of both Cups in the first round against very poor opposition thus losing much needed revenue that would have come in handy from when things started to unravel.

So it only took me 3 seconds on Monday to know it's not been all doom and gloom obviously it may take others a little a little longer.

The other positive has to be the way the Players have come back to the Supporters .The other positive is that we have some talent amongst the current squad and would love to see what they could achieve if they were given what we don't have a lot of which is time.
DI Mike Dashwood

People really need to move on. People say they care for the club and yet all most people seem to want to do is spread negativity and continue to argue about who is right and wrong and who knows most about the situation!!!

We are where we are, and now it looks (and I say it tentatively at this stage) like there may be a way to move forward. People should surely just be pleased with that, and want to show the potential new owners/investors what the club is all about (in a good way) rather than continuing with this other nonsense.

What will be will be, and what has happened has happened, people have to get over it and move on.

I am a little sceptical as to whether this will happen, and if it does how long it will last, but I have come to the conclusion that we should enjoy it while we can if it goes well. Most clubs of pretty much any level, are now funded by a company or companies or an individual, and while that brings issues at some clubs, and others it works well. Not every individual running a club is in it for their own ego!! As Arnu says, you would struggle to make money out of a Conference Football Club, so maybe we have to take what we can from it and go with it.

I for one hope this goes through, they invest and help the club to move forward in a sensible way and we can all enjoy our days at football again.
Daggernewbie

DI Mike Dashwood wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 pm People really need to move on. People say they care for the club and yet all most people seem to want to do is spread negativity and continue to argue about who is right and wrong and who knows most about the situation!!!

We are where we are, and now it looks (and I say it tentatively at this stage) like there may be a way to move forward. People should surely just be pleased with that, and want to show the potential new owners/investors what the club is all about (in a good way) rather than continuing with this other nonsense.

What will be will be, and what has happened has happened, people have to get over it and move on.

I am a little sceptical as to whether this will happen, and if it does how long it will last, but I have come to the conclusion that we should enjoy it while we can if it goes well. Most clubs of pretty much any level, are now funded by a company or companies or an individual, and while that brings issues at some clubs, and others it works well. Not every individual running a club is in it for their own ego!! As Arnu says, you would struggle to make money out of a Conference Football Club, so maybe we have to take what we can from it and go with it.

I for one hope this goes through, they invest and help the club to move forward in a sensible way and we can all enjoy our days at football again.
Well said Mike yes it`s about time everyone looks to the future and not keep harping on about the past.
Voice of reason

Arnu, Mike Dashwood & especially Sussex are right
Especially Sussex about the football
Talk to any player who was playing in the last couple of years and they will tell you the despair they felt at the tactics they were forced to follow
Adrian

Voice of reason wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:56 am Arnu, Mike Dashwood & especially Sussex are right
Especially Sussex about the football
Talk to any player who was playing in the last couple of years and they will tell you the despair they felt at the tactics they were forced to follow
And yet so many of them go on to play for him again.
It's almost like they tell you what you want to hear.