Torquay

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

Controversial opinion time. I don't actually think Dickson is a bad player. I just think he's played absolutely cack for us. Some players don't work out at places for whatever reason. There's been little flashes of a good player here and there. The Scunthorpe goal for one. He cracked the bar for 25 yards on the volley in one home game right at the end. He's missed some horrific chances but then I think, 'he's got in the position and just ****** up the finish'. If he had finished, he'd have a good 6-7 goals for us now which isn't bad considering he's a bit part player. There is a good player in there. He's just not shown it nearly enough for us. Perhaps his couple of years outside English football has left him a bit short of the standard required. He's not played that much competitive football the last year or 2 looking at his appearance stats.
matt_drfc

leewilson wrote:Controversial opinion time. I don't actually think Dickson is a bad player. I just think he's played absolutely cack for us. Some players don't work out at places for whatever reason. There's been little flashes of a good player here and there. The Scunthorpe goal for one. He cracked the bar for 25 yards on the volley in one home game right at the end. He's missed some horrific chances but then I think, 'he's got in the position and just ****** up the finish'. If he had finished, he'd have a good 6-7 goals for us now which isn't bad considering he's a bit part player. There is a good player in there. He's just not shown it nearly enough for us. Perhaps his couple of years outside English football has left him a bit short of the standard required. He's not played that much competitive football the last year or 2 looking at his appearance stats.
I agree to be honest, watching his miss on the highlights, it was shocking, but I feel it's more of a confidence thing, he was probably thinking about it too much in this case. I do think he has more to give if he is here next season.
Richie

leewilson wrote:Controversial opinion time. I don't actually think Dickson is a bad player. I just think he's played absolutely cack for us. Some players don't work out at places for whatever reason. There's been little flashes of a good player here and there. The Scunthorpe goal for one. He cracked the bar for 25 yards on the volley in one home game right at the end. He's missed some horrific chances but then I think, 'he's got in the position and just ****** up the finish'. If he had finished, he'd have a good 6-7 goals for us now which isn't bad considering he's a bit part player. There is a good player in there. He's just not shown it nearly enough for us. Perhaps his couple of years outside English football has left him a bit short of the standard required. He's not played that much competitive football the last year or 2 looking at his appearance stats.
Agreed. I've said before I expect a much better player after he gets a pre-season.
leewilson

Richie wrote:
Agreed. I've said before I expect a much better player after he gets a pre-season.
Glad it's not just me that feels like this then. There was a little spell where Benson couldn't score for shit (not his first season but a 15-20 game spell during another year he was with us) and I remember people getting frustrated and wondering what had happened to him. He missed a penalty or two during this time as well. Every time Dickson comes off the bench I feel like we're talking about the miss. Just off the top of my head, I think of the chance he blazed over at Pompey, the header in the final minute at home to Accrington that he put wide, against Rovers he had a chance on the break and put it wide, there was another one (can't remember who against) where there was a cross and he was in the 6 yard box and he's hit his shot straight at the keeper from about 6 yards. Then you also add in yesterday's effort plus more that aren't coming straight to mind. He converts half of these and we'd be satisfied with him. I'm torn whether to keep him or bin him to be honest.
ARNU

Clearly by being a bit part player when he thought he'd stroll into the team must've had an effect.I think he holds the ball up well,has a bit of pace but if you are getting booed when you come on it cant be good for anyones confidence.Im not sure if he's good enough or not to be honest.I certainly think its all over when he gets introduced and I cant really see what he's brung to the squad.How many shocking misses do you need to know he just aint good enough ? He's another player I want to be good but I just don't think its working for him here.My mate is an avid Charlton fan and thought he'd make a bit of a name for himself at daggers,so he must've done some good there in the past.I think these so called bigger players underestimate the standard in Lg2.One things for sure,he aint special is he ? I wouldn't place much money on him being with us next season.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
matt_drfc

He must have something in his locker, you don't play champions league qualifiers/Europa league and score against Marseille if you're that shit..
FullMetalDagger

i think if we're not careful we'll turn into a bitter crowd no one wants to play against.
SUSSEX DAGGER

matt_drfc wrote:
I agree to be honest, watching his miss on the highlights, it was shocking, but I feel it's more of a confidence thing, he was probably thinking about it too much in this case. I do think he has more to give if he is here next season.
They were not a miss mind they were misses ,what highlights did not show you was a similar chance moments earlier that was even worse.

My mind goes back to Accrington away when he came on and looked really usefull very unlucky to shoot wide of the far post from a tight angle. If that goes in we may have seen a different player. Needs a run and a couple of goals, With Norris not looking to pucker may well get the chance to seasons end. For all his failings still prefer him to Azeez.
Mark

I think sections of the crowd are very harsh on Dickson. He can't finish but he gets involved and gives us a focal point. To contrast that with Norris who hasn't turned up for weeks and looks like he wants to be on the beach.
dagger4eva

Mark wrote:To contrast that with Norris who hasn't turned up for weeks and looks like he wants to be on the beach.
I'm inclined not to agree with that comment given the obvious displeasure Norris had at being subbed vs Pompey. Even if was only after 20 minutes of the game.

Dickson gets rough treatment as he has been nothing but a great big massive failure!
Came with a big hyped up history and hasn't performed to anywhere near that level. Won't be a loss if he goes elsewhere next season imo
leewilson

dagger4eva wrote:
Mark wrote:To contrast that with Norris who hasn't turned up for weeks and looks like he wants to be on the beach.
I'm inclined not to agree with that comment given the obvious displeasure Norris had at being subbed vs Pompey. Even if was only after 20 minutes of the game.

Dickson gets rough treatment as he has been nothing but a great big massive failure!
Came with a big hyped up history and hasn't performed to anywhere near that level. Won't be a loss if he goes elsewhere next season imo
Mark does have a point mind. Norris has been below par in recent games. I've said on here before though that I don't think he's a very good loan striker. His back to goal work is pretty shoddy. He comes to life when he's facing the goal. Very good at running with the ball and has a belting shot on him. The problem is, Norris has been taken out of the game by our own tactics of going long. He's often going up to try and flick to.......nobody. Still, I'd definitely keep Norris if possible. I'm convinced we'll be better at the beginning of next season when Wayne has weeks without a game to get them all on the training ground and practicing nothing but the way we want to play.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Wish i had your faith Lee. We have had problems defending restarts since the season started and we still see no improvements. We got away with it on Friday simply because Torquay were so poor in the final third of the pitch. We certainly gave them enough opportunites to punish us. Once again our weakness was there for all to see on Monday just a long throw into our box and we are all over the shop.

Hours upon hours working on them in training has seen no improvemen and it could be argued we have got worse.