Luton Town

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

Definitely a round of applause.

I think it was best for all that he went when I reflect on it. We'd had the nightmare season prior where we had injuries galore. To be fair, he had started to rebuild in the summer with the likes of Wilkinson and Gayle coming in and performing very well along with the likes of Howell being fully fit for the first time and firing. I think sometimes people forget that we were on the verge of the play offs before Gayle went on loan. I agree with what Daggers4eva said in another post where it's a little odd that Still moans about Gayle leaving when his ethos was not to stand in a player's way. At the same time, he didn't stand in Gayle's way in terms of going out on loan. I think he felt let down that when Peterborough changed their mind and wanted him before the end of the season, that we agreed to that instead of sticking to the original agreement. It did affect us as some of Still's other rebuilding cogs like Reed, Woodall, DJ Green etc didn't come off.

A pair of fresh ideas is sometimes a good thing and Wayne has done well so far. I do think Wayne has a lot to learn still and is perhaps a bit of a reactionist at times but he is a young talented manager who will hopefully progress from these experiences. One thing I wish Wayne hadn't done was move away from his principles over the course of the season. As soon as teams stuck 10 behind the ball against us, we've reverted to a more direct approach. Wayne addressed this at the fans forum but I personally disagreed with that as I thought it would teach our players more long term to have to overcome obstacles such as teams defending deeper than take perhaps the shorter term option of scraping points here and there through a different approach. Without doubt, there would be frustration at times if we're unable to break down teams playing the passing game shown in the first few months but I really believe some players would have grown more due to this. That's a big plus point for Stilly. He always said that we only played one way and rarely adapted his approach. He trusted his methods and rarely diverged from his principles. I'd like to think next season, Wayne will stick to his footballing beliefs and not change, aside from minor alterations to combat specific areas of other teams.

Anyway, nice long off the point post there.
Lcbdagger

I think Lee's first paragraph hits the nail on the head... even if the way Still left was poor, in reality it was time for a change and best for the club that his tenure came to an end... despite the final day nail biting under Wayne, he left us as a League Two team, having got us a year in Lague One. I do fear if he was still with us we may have gone the way of Torquay this season.

Hoping someone comes in for Andre Gray in the Summer to give us a chance against them... really worried they will destroy League Two next year with their attacking fire power
AVincelotFlyingLeap

"Dagenham is the closest club I'll ever have to me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26978684

*weeps*
matt_drfc

Bar Andre Gray their team is pretty average, league 2 players at best.
Daggers No 2 Fan

I'm not sure I see any problem with Still being unhappy about what happened with Gayle.
He wasn't standing in his way if something had already been agreed to let Gayle move anyway, surely? Tbh, I can't say I really remember what the sequence of events actually was in the end, but having a player sold permanently when you were expecting to have them available can't help at all with planning a replacement.

I'm not sure we'd have been any better or worse off this season if Still has stayed. We might not have played as much 'football' but then I've not been that impressed with that side anyway. I noticed a comment about Elito having more freedom now, but I'm not sure what that means - he's still been the same Elito as under Still - moments of being actually pretty good and moments of being a bit rubbish
matt_drfc

Think by freedom, he means he's been allowed to get on the ball more and try to influence play in a more attractive way. I like him, ever since I saw him go on a mazy run v Yeovil for our first away win in league 1. Don't think he's the sort of player we need when we need to battle though. Consistency is his main downfall, but that's why he's a league 2 player at the end of the day.
Daggers No 2 Fan

matt_drfc wrote:Think by freedom, he means he's been allowed to get on the ball more and try to influence play in a more attractive way. I like him, ever since I saw him go on a mazy run v Yeovil for our first away win in league 1. Don't think he's the sort of player we need when we need to battle though. Consistency is his main downfall, but that's why he's a league 2 player at the end of the day.
My point was in relation to not understanding what the benefit of it is as in my view it's made no difference to what he delivers. Not that I didn't understand what we meant by him just having more freedom.
SUSSEX DAGGER

matt_drfc wrote:Think by freedom, he means he's been allowed to get on the ball more and try to influence play in a more attractive way. I like him, ever since I saw him go on a mazy run v Yeovil for our first away win in league 1. Don't think he's the sort of player we need when we need to battle though. Consistency is his main downfall, but that's why he's a league 2 player at the end of the day.
Oh stop it Matt I just get more frustrated. Every time he has gone down the Centre he has looked good you refer to that game at Yeovil he looked a breath of fresh air . Then followed Carlisle when we won the game after he partnered Bas in the last 20 minutes and even made him look good. The following season up at Morecambe on a Tuesday night he played just behind Josh Scott and to my mind was the best game he ever played for us. Last season at Rotherham we played the same formation and again I thought his contribution was magnificent.

If I had a wish it would for him to be given a go up there for the 4 remaining games, he has a good shot on him and can finish .
matt_drfc

SUSSEX DAGGER wrote:
Oh stop it Matt I just get more frustrated. Every time he has gone down the Centre he has looked good you refer to that game at Yeovil he looked a breath of fresh air . Then followed Carlisle when we won the game after he partnered Bas in the last 20 minutes and even made him look good. The following season up at Morecambe on a Tuesday night he played just behind Josh Scott and to my mind was the best game he ever played for us. Last season at Rotherham we played the same formation and again I thought his contribution was magnificent.

If I had a wish it would for him to be given a go up there for the 4 remaining games, he has a good shot on him and can finish .
Haha, he might aswell, he looks good playing off the shoulder of the last defender, like on Saturday his run in behind and shot that led to Ogogo's goal, and the game at home to Rochdale when he gambled on a long ball and lobbed it over the keeper.