Digger the Dog and the Programme Shop

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Mike the Dagger

Just got this from "a source*".

Apparently sent on the 21st July 2017 to club chairman Paul Gwinn.

Hi Paul,

We had our committee meeting last night and would like to inform you of a couple of decisions which were taken.

1. Digger the Dog.
We were advised by Russell that the sponsorship had been increased by 25% to £250.
There was a long discussion over this and it was decided by the committee we would not be sponsoring Digger this season.

2. Programme Shop
Over the years, because of the precarious position of the club we have paid the Programme Shop expenses and the monthly advertising which in total last season was £310. This has helped the sales and enabled John to give regular income to the club.
The Programme Shop has made a significant sum or money for the club and is no self-sufficient. As the club is in a far better position now it was felt that the Programme Shop would be able to pay its way and should come completely under the control of the club who would benefit from the monies made. We will therefore not be paying Programme Shop expenses or advertising. We are totally committed to giving John Chapman as much support as he requires from us in administration or help in the shop. He has done, and is still doing, a fantastic job which we feel the club have not always appreciated. Our Programme Shop is one of the best in the country.

We will be at the game tomorrow so if you want to discuss any of this just pop in the shop although with people coming in and out we may not be able to speak openly.

Best regards.

Brenda Monaghan
Secretary D.R.S.C.

How does this sit with the Supporters Club being 100% behind the football club?

(* "a journalist does not disclose where they get their information - copyright another forum member)
ThatRoundThing

I would imagine that the SC membership numbers have been falling over the years in line with the football clubs attendances which obviously affects income. Maybe they have learnt that you can’t continually spend money you just haven’t got.
The Supporters Club originally set up the Club Shop successfully run by Russell Powis and the then SC committee with all money raised going to the Football Club, which then decided they would like to run it themselves.
I see nothing underhand in letting the Football Cub now take all responsibility for the Programme Shop now it is in healthy profit.
Just surmising but if the Supporters Club were to fold at anytime in the future then Away Coach travel would have to pass to the Club.
The email /letter you published was July 2017, a lot of changes has gone on at the Football Club since then, this may well be the case with the SC.
Could be a good question to ask at the Fans Forum, I would also like to know why only selective correspondence between SC and members of DRFC is being allowed to be published on a public forum.
dagger4eva

In the first instance id like to know what justification there was for the increase in sponsorship for the club ma9scot.

A 25% increase is pretty lumpy to say the least.

In addition, as the first reply suggested, perhaps the SC wanted to run a little more prudently in the event it might've been needed to help the club out with a few grand after it overspent .... massively ..... again.
Dagenham92

I think it site fine with the supporters club.

At least they are being openly honest about the sponsorship and sensible and fair in their approach to the programme shop, something the club should follow suit with.
Daggernewbie

So now we know where you got this email shame he never gave you the follow on emails. Hope you are proud of yourself for doing Thompson`s dirty work for him.
Mike the Dagger

Oddly enough, the way to shut this down was for you to have been open about it and published this sort of infornation ages ago instead of all the secret squirrel stuff over the last few months.

You've been asked half a dozen times about Digger the Dog and refused to answer. A simple, "we were asked but it had gone up 25% and we didn't think that was fair or worth the extra given the club was being funded" closes it down. Instead its all whispers, non answers and secrecy.

As noted by others in this thread, the response from the SC is at least reasonable, so why hide it??

Paul Gwinn's response that "I can't do you a deal as everyone else pays £250" is also reasonable.

I have said a million times (slight exaggeration) that I will publish information from all sides. The issue here is only one side is talking to me... That and that there actually shouldn't be two sides, the Club and Supporters Club should be working together not against each other.
Richie

Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:03 am Oddly enough, the way to shut this down was for you to have been open about it and published this sort of infornation ages ago instead of all the secret squirrel stuff over the last few months.

You've been asked half a dozen times about Digger the Dog and refused to answer. A simple, "we were asked but it had gone up 25% and we didn't think that was fair or worth the extra given the club was being funded" closes it down. Instead its all whispers, non answers and secrecy.

As noted by others in this thread, the response from the SC is at least reasonable, so why hide it??

Paul Gwinn's response that "I can't do you a deal as everyone else pays £250" is also reasonable.

I have said a million times (slight exaggeration) that I will publish information from all sides. The issue here is only one side is talking to me... That and that there actually shouldn't be two sides, the Club and Supporters Club should be working together not against each other.
Well said Mike. The behaviour of some people (on both sides!) is pathetic. Grown adults.
Daggernewbie

Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:03 am Oddly enough, the way to shut this down was for you to have been open about it and published this sort of infornation ages ago instead of all the secret squirrel stuff over the last few months.

Mike if you can support a person who calls someone a cancer then we have no hope of getting anywhere.
Mike the Dagger

Daggernewbie wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:08 pm
Mike if you can support a person who calls someone a cancer then we have no hope of getting anywhere.
Except he didn't call Russell a cancer, he said the situation was a cancer within the club.

And yes I have a recording of the meeting.

Meanwhile...
Diggerthedog wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:25 am Point is there is no valid reason for this ban, it's just typical Thompson mentality. I actually for sorry for him, Pathetic sad little man.

Thompson is a cancer nothing else. He has paid himself handsomely over the years to be able to afford a £50k investment. His time will come when he lease expects it, Time is ticking Mr MD.

Thompson Out.
^^^^^ this is someone, who I believe is one of your members saying exactly what you are getting all excited about.

Oh and I believe this is the person that Thommo refused to have a conversation with on the train back from Tranmere that was another moan from last night.

And people wonder why it them against us???
Diggerthedog

I'm not a member of the supporters hence why I get in trains. Thompson is a cancer and needs to be cut from the club, starting Wednesday.
ThatRoundThing

Everybody please note do not say anything negative about the Chuckle Brothers or those that are in the know will assume you are a Supporters Club member.
Mike the Dagger

Interesting. So it is just the coach travellers that are SC members on this logic. 75 to 100 maybe?

I know it's secret.
ThatRoundThing

Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:02 pm Interesting. So it is just the coach travellers that are SC members on this logic. 75 to 100 maybe?

I know it's secret.
I wouldn’t know, I am not a member but that is not a requirement to travel on the coach. Did you not ask last night?
ThatRoundThing

ThatRoundThing wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 pm
Mike the Dagger wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:02 pm Interesting. So it is just the coach travellers that are SC members on this logic. 75 to 100 maybe?

I know it's secret.
I wouldn’t know, I am not a member but that is not a requirement to travel on the coach. Did you not ask last night?
Using your logic the SC would have a massive membership if you look back at the coaches that went to Wembley and Everton.
Mike the Dagger

Are you being deliberately dense?