A Game Of Headers & Volleys Ep.26 w/ Steve Thompson

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

Genuine question - have you remembered yet who you were posting on behalf of?
Dr Monkatron

This is an open call for anyone from the supporters club that wants to appear on the next podcast. We record on a Monday morning around 11am so whoever the person chosen to represent the supporters club on the podcast will be, they can contact me at choochoofilms@hotmail.co.uk or on Twitter (My personal one is @drmonkatron & the podcasts is @GameHeaders).

They will have to let me know today as these podcasts are planned out in advance so we would need time to prepare and move other items to another podcast. Cheers.
DI Mike Dashwood

Finally got to listen to it. Very interesting piece. Thommo very honest and open, even if I don't 100% agree with his view on everything!!! As I have always tried to say, whether you like him or loathe him, the bloke cares as much, if not more, than anyone.

Some nice stories about people in the club like Chris P and the gate operator which show how many great people involved in the club. Some not so nice bits stories on some people, but there you go.

I hope this is the end of the back and forth personally as don't think anymore tit for tat will benefit anyone. I hope people don't turn on people involved in the SC either. I am not a member of the SC but have been in past and have travelled on coaches to games over years and the people involved do an awful lot of good work. Whether I agree with the way they behaved on things in recent times people should remember how much these volunteers do that help the club.

And well done to the guys who do the podcast. I will listen each week now as some of the other bits were interesting and informative as well.

Lets hope that people do pull together and the club moves forward again (or maybe moves back to what it was a few years back)!!!
Daggernewbie

Dr Monkatron wrote:This is an open call for anyone from the supporters club that wants to appear on the next podcast. We record on a Monday morning around 11am so whoever the person chosen to represent the supporters club on the podcast will be, they can contact me at choochoofilms@hotmail.co.uk or on Twitter (My personal one is @drmonkatron & the podcasts is @GameHeaders).

They will have to let me know today as these podcasts are planned out in advance so we would need time to prepare and move other items to another podcast. Cheers.
Trying to get hold of Russell try and let you know by tonight.
Hardy1

First time that I have listened and I thought it was a really well put together podcast. I think Steve T came across very well and is so passionate about the club. I have had a personal run in with him (some time ago now) and have held the view that he isnt very nice and perhaps he isnt but... there is no doubting his commitment to the club having put in £50,000 or whatever it was of his own money. Thats putting your money where your mouth is regardless of your net worth.

I'll be tuning into future episodes of the podcast, well done and keep them coming.

I hope the supporters club put someone up for their side of the story, maybe one of the flag owners could go on for one as well?
NickMurphy

Great podcast chaps - top work. Really informative and good to hear Steve's side of things.
Dr Monkatron

Cheers everyone, it's great to know we've gained a few more listeners. We really appreciate you all taking the time to listen to it even with our poor impersonations each week.
Cockney Byrites

Dr Monkatron wrote:Cheers everyone, it's great to know we've gained a few more listeners. We really appreciate you all taking the time to listen to it even with our poor impersonations each week.
What he said!!!
Pondfield Dagger

Great interview. £47k of his own money to help pay towards december wages. Been there since 1981 (well, at least that), fella loves the club to bits.

some other interesting points
boxing day home game few years ago nearly postponed due to ground break in, smashed up toilets,-as they have to be certain standard for game to be allowed to ahead.
tv games £6k home team £2k away team, we was worse of for all games except Sutton away, due to kick off times last trains from london could not be made for away fans.
gayle money- steve indicating that was a big factor why were in the football league as long as we were.
debts- 2 long term loans £119k still to go on A13 stand and £50k to go on another loan, they work like mortgages though, on long repayment schedules nothing to worry about there.
next month march wages -not 100% guaranteed, this month will be ok
Grimsweeper

I think that pretty much answers most questions.

i doff my hood in the direction of Stephen Thompson.

the bony finger points to those named and shamed.....
Chigwellian

Grimsweeper wrote:the bony finger points to those named and shamed.....
Whose bony finger.... yours or Thommo’s :devil:
Grimsweeper

its a metaphorical bony finger........
daggersjeff

Good interview

Someone given McAnthony a heads up about the flags?
CheathDagger

Just want to say i enjoyed the podcast, really interesting and i thought Steve Thompson provided alot of details. Would have been nice to hear a few questions fired back but it was still very informative. Keep up the good work guys.
steeevooo

As I've been relentlessly asked by some people to listen to the Thommo podcast and respond to the comments about me, I've finally managed to get some time to listen to it. A lot of what Thommo says is correct, however I will point out some inaccuracies/ambiguities that he has made in relation to myself, and also some general comments on the flags (speaking only as the co-owner of the NK Daggers flag):

- Whether deliberately or not, Thommo seemed to be inferring that the fan trouble at Eastleigh was related to the flags. I was not present at the game, but have been told by numerous people that did go that the trouble was entirely unrelated to the flags. As stated though, I do not know if Thommo was intentionally inferring this or not.

- In terms of being reimbursed for the flags, I personally have never been offered any money in return for the NK Daggers flag. Again, I can only speak for myself, and it may be true that Thommo/Dave Bennett have made such offers to the other co-owner of the NK Daggers flags and to the owners of the other flags.

- The "fake email saga": I emphasise that the flag owners were not the creators of this email. We were shown a copy of this email in good faith by somebody that we trusted (and had no reason to distrust). It is correct that I refused to name the source to Thommo, but I certainly did not pledge to come back to him and give him all the details as he claims. Subsequent to my meeting with him, I only received one text from him, and that was the "cryptic" message about the Pope - I must admit that I was confused by it, but deduced that it wasn't intended for me and therefore just ignored it.

- The clubhouse incident after the last home game - Thommo claims that he only asked me to leave. That is strictly true, in the sense that telling somebody that they are banned and to get out of his clubhouse does equate to being asked to leave. I didn't tell Thommo that he couldn't ban me, but merely asked for it to be provided in writing.

I'm not going to keep arguing the toss about it all though, as everything is degenerating/has degenerated into a tit-for-tat show, and I'll openly hold my hands up and acknowledge that I am as guilty as anyone else (Thommo included) in that regard - maybe if everyone else involved did likewise then this ugly episode could be put to rest. I've already stated in another thread that my personal opinion is that the flags have probably run their course, but I am powerless to stop owners of other flags continuing if they so wish.

I've also been asked by a few people whether the flag owners will be willing to approach the podcast guys to appear on a show - for the reasons above I personally won't be, it will simply be dredging the mud up and going around in circles yet again.

On a more positive note to finish - that is actually the first time that I have listened to any of the podcasts (no, I haven't listened to the latest one yet), and I must say that I was impressed with what seems to be a well-run operation - KUTGW guys!