A Game Of Headers & Volleys Ep.26 w/ Steve Thompson

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
daggerfirst

Daggernewbie wrote:Now they have interviewed Steve Thompson are Joel & Terry going return the compliment and interview the supporters club to hear their side of the story ?
And how is that going to help the club? Are they going to post more vile responses?
It’s about time the Supporters Club committee shut up and started supporting the club. If they don’t feel able to do this then they should resign.
Diggerthedog

daggerfirst wrote:
Daggernewbie wrote:Now they have interviewed Steve Thompson are Joel & Terry going return the compliment and interview the supporters club to hear their side of the story ?
And how is that going to help the club? Are they going to post more vile responses?
It’s about time the Supporters Club committee shut up and started supporting the club. If they don’t feel able to do this then they should resign.
Cracking first post, pass me the popcorn someone. :devil:
Mike the Dagger

Contact them if you want to do it, don't ask here.
Dr Monkatron

Yep that's all good with me. If anyone from the Supporters Club would like to come on then they are more than welcome.
Alan

The role of the supporters club seems to have changed in recent years. I remember when they would make donations to fund purchases, like goal nets and frost covers, possibly even sponsoring games but I might be dreaming that last bit. I’ve not heard of anything like that for years, although I could have missed it as I’m not a programme reader and am usually too busy talking at halftime to hear announcements. Have there been any donations in recent years?

If they supporters club have got any money in the kitty, have they offered to Donate some to the club? If not, can they?
durnzo

I'll give him his due for fronting up and putting his side across.

I have no real opinion on the man as I've had no dealings with him and can certainly see both sides of the arguments.

Some of the incidents with fans are clearly unacceptable, if theyre true and I have no reason to think they wouldn't be, so hes clearly not free from blame but one thing that comes across to me in the interview is that hes clearly in love with the club and does what he feels is in its best interests. Whether ornot hes competent enough to get it right is anotherd debate.

I think naming people was a bit ******** strong, no matter what they've done to him id expect an MD to take the moral high ground, you're gonna get a bit of stick in that role, but no ones perfect I suppose.

All in all another brilliant podcast, and whilst he's certainly not covered himself in glory I feel hes shown himself to be well Intentioned where the clubs concerned, hard working and having more of a clue than a lot have given him credit for.

Very interesting stuff from a top notch podcast, still amazed at the tv money caper, keep up the good work lads.
Voice of reason

daggerfirst wrote:
That's the problem now isn't it?
Thommo said a lot of positive things in the podcast but in my opinion made an error in identifying several supporters who probably love the club as much as he does but who he apparently sees as his enemies
Everyone needs to pull together and not settle scores
NBDag

I don’t think there is a problem with him identifying the name of the owner of the NK flag. Bit ironic to get a flag if you didn’t want to be known. None of the flag owners can complain if they are identified. As for this Brendan bloke, if it’s true what he said then Thommo has every right to name him. Why should Thommo have to protect someone trying to get him out of the job. Would you do that if it happened in your work place?
Daggernewbie

daggerfirst wrote:
People like you responding with posts like this do more damage than good.
Mike the Dagger

NBDag wrote:this Brendan bloke
:blink:

Brenda?
dagger4eva

I don't particularly see any problem in principle with the naming of people. I'm sure said people are big enough to defend themselves on here or wherever, just as Steve has done by coming on to that podcast.

I am mindful however that whilst there was a lot of probably valid explanation for recent events, and a few sympathy votes won over, there was in the same breath a big deflection effort away from the real issues of how the board have managed to get us in such a sorry state, not for the 1st time.

He managed to shift away almost all responsibility of the situation we're in, away from the board and put on to the heads of the support or at least a section of it.

As Mike implied in his article, once this situation has been rectified the entire board need to take a long hard look and consider there positions. Every one of them.

To quote John Still when he returned to just over 2 years ago...

"What the f*cking hell has happened to this club"
NBDag

Mike the Dagger wrote:
NBDag wrote:this Brendan bloke
:blink:

Brenda?
Was it Brenda? My apologies. I just assumed Brendan as the Brendans I know are all a bit of a bellend
Voice of reason

dagger4eva wrote:I don't particularly see any problem in principle with the naming of people. I'm sure said people are big enough to defend themselves on here or wherever, just as Steve has done by coming on to that podcast.

I am mindful however that whilst there was a lot of probably valid explanation for recent events, and a few sympathy votes won over, there was in the same breath a big deflection effort away from the real issues of how the board have managed to get us in such a sorry state, not for the 1st time.

He managed to shift away almost all responsibility of the situation we're in, away from the board and put on to the heads of the support or at least a section of it.

As Mike implied in his article, once this situation has been rectified the entire board need to take a long hard look and consider there positions. Every one of them.

To quote John Still when he returned to just over 2 years ago...

"What the f*cking hell has happened to this club"
Agree 100% D4E
I probably made my point badly but what I meant was that by naming at least three opponents Thommo can't or won't see that this is likely to prolong the squabbling
D4E and others are right when they say that the real reason that we find ourselves in this position are decisions taken two or three seasons back which led to the need to abandon Members ownership which resulted in the club being at the mercy of an owner's whim
ARNU

I am keen to hear the other side of this argument as I really don't know why they've targeted Thommo so aggressively here. I thought the flags initially were funny as it seems did Thommo . If it were me I'd have sent the email to everyone and banned the culprits after a warning period so I don't get why the club didn't do that. I get that certain people hate this man ( seems alright to me) but don't understand the venom.

I've said all along the flag thing was an easy excuse for Glynn and he should have banned A few folk if he was that bothered. So he's not off the hook here . I can't imagine what would be a response that would justify this outcome. I'm open minded but the ball is in the flag people's court.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Auntie Merge

Voice of reason wrote:
Agree 100% D4E
I probably made my point badly but what I meant was that by naming at least three opponents Thommo can't or won't see that this is likely to prolong the squabbling
D4E and others are right when they say that the real reason that we find ourselves in this position are decisions taken two or three seasons back which led to the need to abandon Members ownership which resulted in the club being at the mercy of an owner's whim
No squabbling from me. Yes, I would have prefer not to be named, and as I've said, I posted on behalf of someone else, but what's done is done. I'm an adult and I accept responsibility for my actions. It's unlikely that I will let myself be used again like that.