Bloody Typical

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

I leave the country for 2 weeks and miss us snatching 2 draws from the jaws of victory and hanging on for victory in another 2 games. I know thinking "what if" is pretty much pointless since what's done is done.

But IF we had of taken them extra points we would have been in with a huge shout of making the much sought after playoff places. On the other hand, the year we did make them and went up, we came with a late surge and nicked the final place late on.

A big last 9 games to go!!

If you had to pin your proverbial badge on one of the following options - which would you choose?

A) Make playoffs
B) Just miss out and enjoy a mid-table finish
C) Get dragged in to a very late and painful relegation fight?

I'm thinking positive and going for option A

It will just take keeping Billy Bingham fit - hope that Medy's good form continues - get a rejuvinated Hines & Murphy back and hope Lewington re-discovers the art of keeping a clean sheet.
SUSSEX DAGGER

A in my book. Last two Saturdays will kill us.

We also have the knack of making a dogs dinner over the most simplest of things. Exeter equaliser, Bristol Rovers goal and Newport last night all proved that.
OBD

B - 1 win at home in almost 5 months is gonna prove costly.
@OfficialBigDave
Chigwellian

dagger4eva wrote:
It will just take keeping Billy Bingham fit - hope that Medy's good form continues - get a rejuvinated Hines & Murphy back and hope Lewington re-discovers the art of keeping a clean sheet.
Teaching Lewington to do the basics would be a nice start
leewilson

People are being far too harsh on Lewington.
matt_drfc

leewilson wrote:People are being far too harsh on Lewington.
Agreed
ARNU

Just out of interest then.....Would just harsh be fine instead of too harsh ?

A goalkeepers mistakes are normally more memorable but that is part of the territory surely. This is his 3rd full season as the no1 and I personally think we afford him too many of these mistakes,in some areas he just has not improved.Kicking being one.Its never been in dispute that he can stop a shot but how long do we forgive the blunders and just accept them,surely at some stage we have to drop him.I still say give Seabright a start or he'll never learn either.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Chigwellian

ARNU wrote:Just out of interest then.....Would just harsh be fine instead of too harsh ?

A goalkeepers mistakes are normally more memorable but that is part of the territory surely. This is his 3rd full season as the no1 and I personally think we afford him too many of these mistakes,in some areas he just has not improved.Kicking being one.Its never been in dispute that he can stop a shot but how long do we forgive the blunders and just accept them,surely at some stage we have to drop him.I still say give Seabright a start or he'll never learn either.
Agreed.....
leewilson

ARNU wrote:Just out of interest then.....Would just harsh be fine instead of too harsh ?

I think a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss. He's a league two goalkeeper. Mistakes will happen. If he was perfect in all areas he wouldn't be playing for us. We know his kicking is suspect. We know he's a little shaky at crosses (although he's a lot better than he was) and he does make the odd mistake from time to time. He's made 2 big mistakes in the last 3-4 games. Do we drop him at the first sign of a dip or do we support him through it? Personally, I'd support him through it. He's a damn fine shot stopper. At times this season, he's pulled off some top drawer saves which have saved us points. For every odd little shitty moment, there will be a last ditch save at home to Scunthorpe in the pissing rain. Or clawing the ball from the top corner from an awesome Saunders free kick against Brentford. These were the first two to come to mind but I know there are more. If you watch our highlights, you'll see some of these excellent saves.

Or we could just chuck Seabright in until he inevitably makes a mistake. Then he won't be good enough either. If Lewy continues to make 'big mistakes' in the next few weeks, then fine, Seabright deserves an opportunity. But until then, we should back our number 1 to come good and rediscover the form he showed earlier on in the season.
USADAGGER nick

Seeing as by the end of Sunday, we could need only 10 points to assure safety and be 2 points from playoffs, I'm going with A
Lcbdagger

leewilson wrote:

I think a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss. He's a league two goalkeeper. Mistakes will happen. If he was perfect in all areas he wouldn't be playing for us. We know his kicking is suspect. We know he's a little shaky at crosses (although he's a lot better than he was) and he does make the odd mistake from time to time. He's made 2 big mistakes in the last 3-4 games. Do we drop him at the first sign of a dip or do we support him through it? Personally, I'd support him through it. He's a damn fine shot stopper. At times this season, he's pulled off some top drawer saves which have saved us points. For every odd little shitty moment, there will be a last ditch save at home to Scunthorpe in the pissing rain. Or clawing the ball from the top corner from an awesome Saunders free kick against Brentford. These were the first two to come to mind but I know there are more. If you watch our highlights, you'll see some of these excellent saves.

Or we could just chuck Seabright in until he inevitably makes a mistake. Then he won't be good enough either. If Lewy continues to make 'big mistakes' in the next few weeks, then fine, Seabright deserves an opportunity. But until then, we should back our number 1 to come good and rediscover the form he showed earlier on in the season.
While this is a great idea in theory, what on earth is the point in having a young and hungry goalkeeper waiting in the wings? We may as well bring back Hogan for the bench and save wages if a number two can't come in for few games when the number one becomes a liability... for goodness sakes it even worked with Joe Hart who is supposed to be the country's best goalkeeper. We aren't even talking about a player that has never played for us in the past, or done a decent job when called upon.
leewilson

Lcbdagger wrote:
leewilson wrote:

While this is a great idea in theory, what on earth is the point in having a young and hungry goalkeeper waiting in the wings? We may as well bring back Hogan for the bench and save wages if a number two can't come in for few games when the number one becomes a liability... for goodness sakes it even worked with Joe Hart who is supposed to be the country's best goalkeeper. We aren't even talking about a player that has never played for us in the past, or done a decent job when called upon.
Interesting you mention Joe Hart. Another keeper who became 'not good enough' after a couple of mistakes. The manager took good action with him as the public spotlight was becoming unbearable. It benefitted to take him out of the limelight. Lewington isn't in the same limelight as such. I don't even think he's played that bad in all honesty bar the two big mistakes that have been highlighted. If Wayne thinks that Seabright replacing Lewington would benefit the pair of them, then it's the right move. He sees them both everyday and knows them both better than we do.
speedy

Lee most of the time I agree fully with your well constructed posts. But I'm sorry mate I too think a change between the sticks wouldn't do any harm. I'm not going to bang on about Lewy's kicking because we all know that leaves a lot to be desired and yeah he is a superb shot stopper but show me any keeper that's not in league 2 or above, its what they are paid to do. My problem with Chris is his decision making and starting position. More often than not a ball will be played thru and you expect Chris to come out and gather it but he don't meaning the covering defender has to hoof it away. At corners he is more intent on pushing the opposition players around than he does organising his defence causing him to be in no mans land when the ball is played in. His communication with the back four at times seems non exsistant, a couple of times during the second half at Newport there were hearts in mouths moments due to this, he should be commanding his area at all times. Please don't throw he's a league 2 keeper at me, he has been for 3 seasons now with little sign of improvement so he's hardly a young inexperienced keeper. If he hasn't improved by now the I really don't know if he can. When played, Seabright has never let us down so personally I feel a change wouldn't do any harm.
Dagdale

We've got the next two games that are very 'winnable', Bury away then 3 days later Accrington home, if we start off like the first 30 minutes as at Newport County last night our side could and should scalp both these sides and a nine pointer in 7 days would really edge us up the table, and boost terrific confidence in the side. So 1 is obtainable and definitely a reality , but some very tough games coming up and we must really get behind our lads. Wont take away some great performances from Lewy this season and any goalkeeper will drop a clanger now and then, but I would like to see Jordan rotate in the side a bit more what's left this season, I'm a great fan of him because I was lucky to be there and cant forget that fantastic save at Exeter last season that held us on to the end of a very important three pointer that some would say had that gone in we would have gone out the Football League on final fixture day. Sometimes competition can bring out the best in individuals later on.
NickMurphy

Bury (A)
Accrington (H)
Oxford (H)
Wycombe (A)
Portsmouth (H)
Torquay (A)
Chesterfield (H)
Northampton (H)
Cheltenham (A)

Not sure if that's our exact run in or the exact order, but I think it's near enough and looking at that, I'd say we have a relatively good chance without wanting to put the mockers on it. In reality, eight of those nine are fixtures we should be looking to be winning, with the exception against Chesterfield obviously. Obviously we won't win all of those eight (I'll eat Kevin Maher's hat if we do), but I think it's a realistic aim to win at least five or six from that; and if we manage to do that I reckon that should be enough to see us at least in contention on the final day. My fear however stems from two or three things:

1. Despite not being at Fratton Park, will we show Portsmouth too much respect again? The day will undoubtedly be a big one with the support Pompey will bring, I just hope we don't freeze like we did on Boxing Day.2
2. Those final two games are right bastard ones aren't they? I firmly believe in the "bogey team" argument, and those two at the end are two of our biggest, especially Northampton. Shouldn't exclude Torquay from that either really given our awful recent record against them.
3. Obviously the home form, we need to pick it up starting with a win against Accrington on Tuesday night. Our midweek record has been very good this season so hopefully we can continue it this season.

One other little hope I have is that with 3 or 4 games to go I'd be expecting a refreshed and renewed Zav back; if he can fire on all cylinders with recharged batteries, so long as we're still in with a chance I think we might just make it.

For the record, at the moment I don't see us reaching the Play-Offs. Does anyone?