HAWKINS .....GONE !

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
nomis

Evening guys

With hindsight , I admit I probably shouldn't have posted everything up that I did in my previous posts a few weeks back
Some of it was probably best kept secret !

However , having said all that , what I did post up probably made for some laughable reading as it did shock me as well when I was told about it. I did post up everything in good faith and I can assure you all that it came from a reliable source

I am not on here trying to act as if I have some inside informer at the club , just at the time I thought it was in the fans / supporters interest to hear first hand news etc what I had been told .
Anyway after what's all been said and done let's wish Ollie the best of luck at his new club and hopefully we have a percentage sell on clause for any future club that he joins if he does progress like Dwight Gayle etc

Finally I think we have more than enough strikers to cover for Hawkins loss
Dags58

Good post Nomis JK about Hawkins moving on we all thank you for truthful posts lets all move on and get behind the team to win automatic promotion...
NickMurphy

Healthy boost to the coffers and I think we've got an even better replacement in Michael Cheek. More of an all-round player who will contribute goals in a variety of ways.

Was a pleasure watching Hawkins and I wish him all the best. What I will say though, is that I don't actually think he'll turn out to be particularly good at League One level. He's very limited in his ability in my opinion (always reminded me of Fulham/Bristol City's Matt Smith) and I think it'll be difficult for him to make the step up.

Hope he does mind, and as I say, all the best to him.
SUSSEX DAGGER

NickMurphy wrote:Healthy boost to the coffers and I think we've got an even better replacement in Michael Cheek. More of an all-round player who will contribute goals in a variety of ways.

Was a pleasure watching Hawkins and I wish him all the best. What I will say though, is that I don't actually think he'll turn out to be particularly good at League One level. He's very limited in his ability in my opinion (always reminded me of Fulham/Bristol City's Matt Smith) and I think it'll be difficult for him to make the step up.

Hope he does mind, and as I say, all the best to him.
Honestly Nick think you have hit on something. This was going to happen the moment we signed Cheek.

If he was always going to be his replacement what a good bit of business. A bloke who scored nearly as many goals last season then Whitely and Hawkins put together for a relegated teamwe got for nowt. Then got a fee for a six month wonder who did not want to be here.

I expect Cheek did not come cheap wages wise so I guess a bit of the fee will have to be set of for that but I honestly think we ended up stronger

Happy with this
Dags58

Nick football about opinions Kenny Jackett,Stuart McCall,Tim Sherwood,Lee Clatk and Adam Virgo have been in football for years and all thought he could have career in EPL.Hawkins scored 2 hatricks and what about goal at Tranmere away??? Maybe you should go for Coaching badges!!!
The Romford Dagger

leewilson wrote:To be fair to Nomis, he was spot on and I think he's been quite truthful with everything he's posted on here over the past few weeks. Some people are too quick to discredit. Not everything is a lie.

Well said
SUSSEX DAGGER

Dags58 wrote:Nick football about opinions Kenny Jackett,Stuart McCall,Tim Sherwood,Lee Clatk and Adam Virgo have been in football for years and all thought he could have career in EPL.Hawkins scored 2 hatricks and what about goal at Tranmere away??? Maybe you should go for Coaching badges!!!
All shopping in Poundland tho ,Nick assesment is one I share. You are right the Peopke you mentioned have been in it a long time but come on he is still a hell of a punt on somebody unproven.

Anybody who thinks he will get anywhere what Dwight has acheived wants a good look at themselves they were poles apart at this stage.

The other issue that I also can't agree with is the injuries. We are only 7 games in and have already lost Doe and Cheek which a month ago you would think were certs to start most weeks.

Suppose that says a lot where we are tho because there is not many in this league who could lose two influential players like them. Hopefully Cheek won't be long but I am already fearing the Dagenham fortnight about both of them
NickMurphy

Dags58 wrote:Nick football about opinions Kenny Jackett,Stuart McCall,Tim Sherwood,Lee Clatk and Adam Virgo have been in football for years and all thought he could have career in EPL.Hawkins scored 2 hatricks and what about goal at Tranmere away??? Maybe you should go for Coaching badges!!!
Goals against Tranmere, of course, the truest indicator that a player will notch 20 in League One against superior defences that aren't stocked with a 47-year-old and 47 stone Steve McNulty.

I'm not denigrating what he did for us. But League One is a different kettle of fish.
Dags58

We will see but he will benefit from quality players like Pitman and receive quality crosses in front of nearly 20,000 every other week.After Nomis's posts recently you can see that we should have let him go before pre-season as his head must have been scrambled by Daggers turning down Pompey's bids so give him break shame he only played small part in playoffs due to collision with Farmer from Lincoln.Hope Whitely does not get same treatment in the next window by club and fans if his head is turned like Hawkins.How many goals will Cheek and Whitely score this season?
NBDag

Clearly we shouldn't have sold him earlier as we were right to hold out for more money and him being here for an additional month hasn't done either side any harm. He's in a better place and we're no worse off.
This whole stuff about the board forcing him into a new contract still is unsubstantiated and doesn't line up with what we have seen since. Peddling it isn't going to make a difference to anything that has or will happen, so may as well drop it. The deal is done and everyone is happy, so let's get back to moaning about the North Korea flag.
Adrian

I hope he goes on to do well.
I've never understood why some had written him off before last season began and then couldn't accept that he'd showed them to be wrong.
He wasn't brilliant, but when we played to his strengths he did a good job. He improved as a footballer quite a bit but it tended to go unnoticed.

I certainly won't miss the ridiculous moaning about him from parts of the crowd now. Why some expected him to be able to magically move himself 20 yards in half a second I don't know.

Another one that Still has picked up, polishes a little and then made the club some money from.
Alan

Hawkins scored in clusters in the early part of last season, which included penalties. The season before in league 2 he wasn't very good. After the turn of the year he wasn't very good. In my opinion, the 37 year old Benson looked more mobile and worked defences harder Hawkins. Good bit of business, got a decent fee for third choice striker although we shouldn't forget Hemel have a sell-on. Hopefully we will sign a left back.
Dagger83

Do we know what the fee was?
There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
RampantDuke

Will anyone please tell us what the damn fee was? I despaired when it cam up as Undisc. on Sky Sports News. Why is it that we have to keep this stuff a secret all the time? Same with Jodi Jones. If nobody can tel us the price then at least can someone in the know explain why it has to be a secret FFS? It's not like I'm going to knock on Thommo's door and ask for a sub because of it.......
Broom Broom Broom - Let me hear you say Wayo - Wayo!
dagger4eva

Glynn replied to someone on Twitter in answer to this question and his response was it was kept undisclosed at the request of Portsmouth......