Encouraging the kids

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
Auntie Merge

There's an interesting post on the Conference Forum about why people and kids would watch non league when there are Premier League teams close by for more or less the equivalent price.

Link but this will go within the week - http://www.theconferenceforum.co.uk/article/1128664

My nephew supports Liverpool but he enjoys coming to Dagenham because he can sit so close to the players, and the players and the manager acknowledge him.
He still goes on about Mark Arber waving at him at the end of a game, even though that was 5-6 years ago. 'I'll never forget when the team captain waved at me'.

And with kids it is all about different experiences and creating memories.

Those of you with kids, why do they like coming to the Daggers? Maybe if we worked on some of this we could bring in the next generation of supporters.
NBDag

What got me coming about 9 years ago as a kid was the fact that as an Arsenal fan at the time, I was never able to get tickets and see football in the flesh. As a 13 year old my first Daggers game was only the third live match I'd ever seen. I then started to bring a couple of friends with me to each game for the next few seasons.

I'd imagine that even the majority of West Ham fans younger than 15 haven't been to many games as they're parents won't think it's safe, then considering all the fans of the "big 6" there is probably a huge pool of football-hungry kids who don't see games in person that can be tapped into. I really think we need to be going into schools and making them realise that football isn't a TV show or a dodgy internet stream. Give them an incentive such as cheap tickets for a few games so that they can get a taste for it, then hopefully they'll come back on their own as a second team before realising that the prem really isn't worth it anymore.
Alan

Got my 6 year old a season ticket, he loves it.
Mike the Dagger

Auntie Merge wrote:There's an interesting post on the Conference Forum about why people and kids would watch non league when there are Premier League teams close by for more or less the equivalent price.

Link but this will go within the week - http://www.theconferenceforum.co.uk/article/1128664

My nephew supports Liverpool but he enjoys coming to Dagenham because he can sit so close to the players, and the players and the manager acknowledge him.
He still goes on about Mark Arber waving at him at the end of a game, even though that was 5-6 years ago. 'I'll never forget when the team captain waved at me'.

And with kids it is all about different experiences and creating memories.

Those of you with kids, why do they like coming to the Daggers? Maybe if we worked on some of this we could bring in the next generation of supporters.
I started coming with a schoolfriend and his dad aged 12 or so (a loooooong time ago). My eldest has moved away now but is still a Dagger having attended his first game at the FA Trophy final in 1997. The youngest was also there although won't remember it as he wasn't actually born at the time.

We have the Junior Daggers, and kids under 10 get in for free if accompanied by an adult. We do several "kids for a quid" matches, a kids 5-a-side tournnament which includes free tickets for all participants, and invite local teams and scouts/cubs etc, in regularly. We have a family stand.

What else do the club need to do?

About the only thing I think we could change easily is move the family area to somewhere with better views.
Daggernewbie

Mike The Dagger yes the club do all them things you also mentioned the family stand what about if the club lower the price of the TBS and Carling stand maybe some families would use them and mention it to friends because they got a decent view and it was not to expensive.Also a lot of the away supporters are put off coming here when they see the price for a ticket/tickets for the TBS when you read some of the posts on the Vanarama National Banter page.
DaggerJoel11

I am probably the only one on here who can directly relate. I am 14 and have been going to Daggers for seven years - I absolutely adore it and have hopefully established myself as a face around the club, rather than a customer. Sadly, people would prefer to support their team via a screen than in the flesh. I am without doubt the only person in my school who supports a team outside of the Top 10 in the Premier League - nevermind a non-league club. When I tell people I'm a Dagger, I'm often greeted with a ''no.....who are your real club? which is sad, but unfortunately reflects the mentality of youngsters. But you can't force people into the club; for instance, last season I convinced a friend (who 'supports' Arsenal) to get a season ticket, and every match he turned up ten minutes late and used his phone for the entire match. He hasn't renewed because it was 'boring' - unfortunately, in a generation where kids are so self-conscious about what others think of them, supporting Dagenham really won't make somebody popular.

So I guess the reason I support the Daggers is because it' special, genuine, authentic. As was mentioned, you are within talking distance of the players which is something I love; a few years ago, I used to get on the same train as Jack Connors most weeks. No luxury Ferraris, no looking-down-upon-people arrogance, just normal people who you can relate to. I've been to games at West Ham, Arsenal, England at Wembley, and nothing felt as homely and welcoming at Dagenham. I love it here because it's a community, a family where everybody knows eachother. Here, you will stand by the same people every week in the terracing, how many people would you recognise on a matchday at West Ham, for example? I've also had amazing experiences that would never happen anywhere else. At Accrington on my birthday in 2014, Wayne Burnett let me go into the dressing room to meet the players and, last season, the club let me travel on the team coach to Boreham Wood and be part of the media team, which I also did at home to Eastleigh. John Still spoke to me in the dressing room before the Barrow game. These are memories which will never, never go away and, while it's not the glory you get at the top level, to me it is everything.

The key is letting kids come to the club with an open mind, so that they can discover what it's like. That's how it worked for me, and I wouldn't change a thing. Although, looking ahead to a gruelling trip to Hartlepool next month, sometimes I wonder if it would be better to watch football on Sky! No, I wouldn't change a thing, and look forward to many more years supporting my team.
''Dagenham & Redbridge look a very different side to about ten or fifteen minutes ago when they were on the back foot, and here's Benson...BRILLIANT!''
Alan

Spot on Joel.

Is the key to get families to bring their kids - and to keep them coming back? Or do you think there are ways to attract younger supporters Joel?
Chigwellian

Very good post Joel...
Daggernewbie

Joel makes some very good points maybe if they have a little competition for a few of the kids at half time like some clubs do like a little penalty shoot out into one of them small garden goals on one side of the pitch ( if conditions allow it ),also maybe get the players to interact with the youngsters at the end of the match by going over and shake a couple of their hands etc. Is there still a Junior Daggers Club ? if so they should promote that more and have activities that they can get involved with like meet the players on a certain day, have a junior Daggers forum so they can ask questions to the board is few things I can think of,no doubt there will be more ideas that can be suggested.
leewilson

Children are very reliant on their parents bringing them. Going through primary school, unless you have a parent or relative who is a supporter, in most situations you won't be introduced to the club. The year 4 boys who I teach in Dagenham are well into their football and some didn't even know that Dagenham had a football club. They'll all massively into FIFA and watch the big games on the TV so most of them are fans of the top Premier League clubs. Then you have the boys who have a Dad as a West Ham fan and they get pulled into supporting them. Those who were aware that Dagenham had a club were dismissive because of the league that they were in.

For me, you're not going to entice kids over here when they're that age unless somebody is already bringing them. The market that I think the club needs to tap into is the teenage one. That 12-16 age bracket where kids are allowed to go out and do their own thing. They may well support a football club already by then but so what. I supported Chelsea until I was 12/13. Once I started coming to Dagenham, Chelsea soon took a back seat. Even if a teenager keeps supporting their Premier League side, if they're coming over to watch live football regularly with their mates, they'll soon get the bug.

The one thing that teenagers between 12-16 don't have a lot of though is money. If you said, come on let's go to Dagenham home games for the season and I'm a 14 year old and I find out that the admission price for me is £8. Sorry, that's far too much. I'm a 14 year old. I don't earn. Will my parents give me £8 every fortnight, and in some cases every week?

I think our admission prices for juniors turns them away. It's fine when an adult is bringing a child between the ages of 10-16 and pays it for them but when you've got 10-16 year olds coming of their own accord, not a chance. By the time, you're past 16 and possibly earning, the chance of enticing them over is largely gone as college/university/work takes priority.

We need to do better in enticing this age bracket over. For me, I'd put an offer in place where it's a set price of £10 for any groups of juniors who turns up in a group of 2 or more. If there's 2 of you, you pay a fiver each. If there's 3 of you £3-3.50 each. If there's 4 of you, you're getting in for £2.50 each. If you come in a big enough group, well you might be paying between £1-2 to get in.

Lower the price of coming with friends, advertise it to secondary schools, add a few other incentives in and you may just start seeing some more youth through the doors.
NBDag

Could not agree more with what Leewilson has said. The age bracket we want to target is above primary school age. As for what DaggerJoel11 and DaggerNewbie have said, that's stuff for kids to enjoy once they've got through the door that will keep them coming back. Whilst it's good and would probably help, it's not going to bring anyone through the gates as you won't know it occurs until you're already there. That's where I think the challenge lies with the club, there's nothing from outside the club that shouts at kids to get themselves down here.
nomis

Great to read your post DaggerJoel11

It's good to see younger supporters like yourself enjoying watching grass root football in real than on Sky TV etc
I started watching Dagenham FC in 1981 at the ripe old age of 13 compared to you starting at the tender age of 7 years
In my day there was 30 kids in our class and it was made up of a mixture of around 20 odd supporting West Ham and the remaining kids split between supporting Arsenal , Spurs , Liverpool , Man Utd etc ........
Surprisingly Chelsea and Man City weren't so popular with kids in the Elm Park area back in 1980 etc

What we didn't have in those days was social media in the form you have it now and no live footy on tv just highlights on Saturday evening etc
What I do recall was that even the kids who supported these big Premiership Clubs alas known as Division 1 in my day , we all would love going to watch a football match for real , live in the flesh
We use to mainly do the Daggers but we even as a group done Hornchurch matches and I do recall us doing a home game for Rainham FC. Blimey that was an old ground and we even done Romford FC

Most lads didn't have the luxury to watch top flight football but even then back in 1980 it wasn't that good to watch as we didn't have the influx of foreign players as we have now pre Sky Murdoch etc
I was fortunate as my dad supported West Ham and like all dads I was forced to become a hammer and was allowed to go with him from 1974-75 season at 7 years of age . You gotta remember that although the old Upton Park had a capacity of 42,000 in those days the crowds varied widely between 15,000 for a home game on a Tuesday night to 25,000 for a Saturday 3pm kick off so it was a lot more relaxed than today's sold out matches

Not sure what the answer is in todays world for clubs attracting youngsters to watch their local clubs .Players in my era of growing up were always approachable and were earning not much more than the average working mans wage so it was a different ball game then
The thing was in my youth , us lads would sometimes have a really tough decision to make come Saturday morning!
We would have many an argument !!
Then Saturday would come and we had the choice of going to watch West Ham / Dagenham / Hornchurch etc all playing at home kicking off at 3pm and basically there was five of us in my group and we had a vote on what match to go to and the majority vote won

If I'm being honest I think Sky TV and Rupert Murdoch do have a lot to answer to as kids today really are missing out on the match day experience of watching their local club / clubs every Saturday afternoon
Think really the average supporter would follow the trend of following in dad's footsteps regarding supporting a team
I must be honest , all my kids are grown up adults now and girls as well.I am out of touch re what the Daggers do now to attract the kids.
I would think that every adult season ticket holder should be given up to 2 kids season tickets free of charge to attract their interest !
My youngest daughter who was born in 1995 was dragged along to a few Daggers matches when she was younger as she was curious and also playing football for her school's football team. What I do recall was that she immediately had a thing for Craig Mackail Smith !
When I say a thing it was the fact that sitting in the Family Enclosure she was fascinated at the speed and pace that he had running with the ball etc .Alas as she got older her interest's became involved with more girl related stuff and I was left to watch the Daggers on my own again

Anyway , well done to you DaggerJoel11 and I hope you continue to enjoy watching your team for many more years to come
Last edited by nomis on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chigwellian

Why doesnt the club organise a 'Qustion & Answer chat' in schools in and around Redbridge, Barking & Dagenham and Havering.
If the players and staff can sell the match day experience, of what has been described above, with maybe a competition with the prize being 2 seats in the TBS stand, then maybe it would be a start.
Last edited by Chigwellian on Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RayleighDagger1986

Allow under16's in for a quid on the day. No restrictions.
Or a terrace season ticket for £20, again with no restrictions.
Cord

Some very good and sound ideas on this thread about how to entice younger supporters.

However, I remember Thommo saying at a fans forum there is a rule that states any under 16 must be accompanied by an adult in the ground, which clearly limits some of the suggestions made here.