Current players vs previous

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
dagger4eva

I was lucky again to be in the box for Saturday’s game. Our pool team took one of them out and a great day, result aside was had by all.

My gripe was after the game in the sponsors lounge where along with having the Man of the Match presentation, it was also supposed to be a “meet the players” affair.
Well out of all the players that were in there (not all were) only 1, Luke Howell saw fit to mingle with everyone. The rest all sat very quietly in a huddle by the fire exit door in the corner.
As sad as it may be, I counted from the moment Medy finished his interview/speech it took 35 seconds for every single player bar Scott Doe who only stayed behind an additional 5 minutes because he was waiting for a lift.

It may have been abit more noticeable for me after seeing all our ex players at Bill’s funeral a few days earlier and reminiscing about what great characters we previously had at the club.
We’ve always had fantastic “teams”. The John Still squad with Southam, Saunders, Foster etc. were basically like a group of mates and all of whom made time to come into the bar after the game. The Ryman League winning team before that Junior, Vickers, Robbo, Cobby,Goodwin - well you would have had a job getting them out of the bar after the game.
This current lot are just too distant. I get they were probably a bit cream crackered after the game but would it have actually hurt for them to make a bit of effort?
I get that they are “professional footballers” but come on – you are playing for Dagenham & Redbridge not bloody Man City!

Anyway, it was just something that stood out for me on Saturday which I thought I would share.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
ARNU

Im not excusing them but they are mainly young lads who probably feel awkward in a social setting with strangers, usually elders with a smattering of uncouth and sometimes rude bastards :lol: .You are most definitely neither of these D4E but being forced to speak to people who the only thing in common is "a football club" is probably quite a difficult thing especially if you aint naturally a gob on a stick like some ;) .Also having some hairy arsed balding pie eater tell you where you are going wrong as a professional footballer must be a hard conversation to have without wanting to beat the granny out of someone(ask Mark Arber).I agree though that if the club bill something as a meet the players affair then they should probably put up the least socially awkward members of the squad.It is fair to say that some members of the general public could be quite hard work for a young player.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
Lcbdagger

My experience of the early season 'open day' was much the same... quite a lot of the players looked far more comfortable chatting amongst themselves and looked unsure of what to do when a fan came and asked for a photo or autograph. Luke Howell and Brian Woodall were the only two that day that really made an effort... although a special mention must go to Femi who asked for a photo with my 8 month old son in his Daggers kit who proceeded to scream and cry as soon as Femi picked him up for the photo... dealt with it like a true pro :P
dagger4eva

That's a fair enough reply I guess and yes I suppose they dont need some beer bellied pie eater or the like telling them where they are going wrong but these are sponsors / supporters were talking about here. I'm not just on about in the sponsors lounge after the game but generally up in the bar with all the supporters.

The common thing may only be "the football club" but I'lll never ever back down from the theory that any clubs in the land' supporters (even City, Chelsea) are the ones who make a club and pay it's players wages.
You say them being forced to speak to people is quite a difficult thing but that really is in essence the point I was trying to get at initially. A few years ago - loads of the previous players didnt have to be forced at all to integrate with fans. A lot of them would mix willingly off their own back.

I may be way off the mark but I'd say that previous spirt & togetherness on the pitch, and integration off it helped the club a) achieve all the success it did & b) created that better atmosphere on the terraces.
Our Ryman League days saw a quarter of the crowds we "enjoy" these days and yet the atmosphere back then was several times better! Is it just a coincidence that now, with supposed better players the teams' fortunes are sliding down quicker than Jordan's knickers. Sorry (was the wittiest thing I could think of) :ugeek:
DI Mike Dashwood

D4E, I would totally agree with you, and strangely enough I bumped into a fellow long-term Daggers fan on Friday night on the train and we had the same conversation.

We (our group of supporters) have sponsored a Match every season since 2002/03 and also done a few Matchball Sponsorships and had one of the boxes. The whole day has really changed over the years, some of it for the better, some for the worse!! The catering and service you now get is very professional, very different from 10 years back. It was always very homely and friendly, but is now very professional to.

However, the mixing with the players has definitely changed!! Over the last two or three seasons the only players who really seem to want to mingle with the supporters are Luke Howell, Woodhall (now gone), Abs, Doey and Femi. Most of the others seem to find it an effort to even come in for the awards, and when they do, they sit in the corner on their own (apart from those mentioned above).

It is something which has gradually changed. When we started doing these days in 2002/03 the majority of the players would stay in the bar for ages, often of their own accord. Lee Matthews, Robbo, Broomy, Gooders, Steve West and of course, the legendary Ashley Vickers would always be there for a chat. Not only that but they would take an interest and remember past conversations. I remember bumping into Ash in Chelmsford one afternoon and he stopped and asked how all the "Upminster boys were doing".

Even after that the likes of Sam Sloma, Dave Rainford, Benno, Strevs, Arbs, Romain, Fozzy and of course Glen Southam would always have a chat. On trains back from games it would be the same. I also remember Terry Harris thanking supporters for their efforts as they got off the train after trips to York and Donnie (I await the story of Stilly telling someone to get lost at York to be raised).

Anyway, I am not knocking today's players, but times have changed!! I guess thats the way it is. Things move on in life, the game has changed and the Club has certainly changed. In some ways for the better, in some ways maybe not. Other sports have changed to. I remember going to watch Essex (cricket when younger) and the players would have to walk round the ground at lunch and tea to be fed, and all the players (including some international greats of the time) would have to walk round, but would all be approachable and chat to supporters. I don't go now, but can bet its not the same. Times change hey??
leewilson

Perhaps it's because I'm alot older now as well but I consider all those previously mentioned players as men. Almost sunday league-ish in the way that they were a group of lads who liked a kick about. Just so happens that they did it whilst earning money whilst playing for our club.

I consider the current crop of players as kids to be honest bar the likes of Howell etc. It must be quite intimidating for the likes of Jordan Seabright and Jack Connors to be expected to mingle with a group of 30/40years+ men when they're pretty much teens themselves.

Still, I do miss the old days. There's not quite the same buzz of coming to Daggers anymore although I'll always support the club and for the forseeable future be there every home game.
Masked Man

After the way some of them get slagged off on here, it should be no surprise that they keep their distance from the general public - especially if they haven't won the game or played like donkeys!! :lol: