Gravesend (H)

Discuss all matters related to Dagenham and Redbridge
leewilson

Having just watched the goals back, the first free kick is better than I thought. At the time, I thought Cousins should be saving it but it was hit well and nestled in the corner.

Cheek let the man go for the 2nd goal. The 3rd goal is weird. Two defenders went up and missed it. Hawkins was behind and just didn't react. It's like he expected the other two to get it and was surprised when they didn't. No excusing that though.

I think we're playing some good stuff at the moment. I like Cheek but I don't think we're particularly playing to suit him. He does well in the air but then our wide man aren't the sort of wide man who put pinpoint crosses in. They prefer to smash the ball across the box and although that will work on occasions, I think someone like Sparkes who has a reputation at being a very good crosser will suit Cheek. Fejiri needs to get his finger out a bit as he's cruising at the moment. Has moments in games but doesn't contribute enough across the 90.

I think the back 4 are largely doing ok as a unit although Lokko seems to have a mistake in him a game. He was very lucky not to be sent off last night. Still prides himself on being good at restarts so I think it's obvious what we'll be looking at in training.

For me, I think if we sort the defending as a team, we have a very good chance of winning the league. If we don't, we'll be too inconsistent, especially around that period with 10-15 games to go when you need to grind out results, like Lincoln did last season.
Adrian

BB-Dagger wrote:This game was exciting for any neutral but in my opinion this game showed why we shouldn't get too excited about this season,
Strikers, we will score goals no doubt about it , Ferrier looked immense and Whitely caused trouble whenever he had the ball (shame about the penalty!) Okenabirhie looked as though he was tired at half time and I cannot understand why he wasn't subbed instead of Ferrier, I thought we could have been 3 or 4 goals up at half time but what with the missed penalty and Lokko's header straight at the keeper we were perhaps unlucky.

Midfield were outplayed by Ebbsfleet and were always on the back foot, this was mostly due to the fact that Ebbsfleet are a good side worked hard and never gave up,

Defence was often clumsy and were lucky not to get exposed more, the third goal for them was a joke, how did no-one clear the ball out? hoofing is our strong point and before or after the first bounce the ball should have been in the Sterling industrial estate!

all in all a good game to watch even if a little frustrating at times, have to mention their keeper though, two outstanding saves, one from the penalty, hit hard top corner and he did well to get it away, and Whitleys free kick also top corner perfectly placed and once again an outstanding save, even a couple of Daggers players gave him a pat for that one.

Next stop Fylde, COYD
Penalty wasn't in the top corner. It was a pretty comfortable height for any keeper.
Adrian

lupins wrote:I will actually take a different view and say in general I thought we defended quite well just not from restarts
How many saves did Cousins have to make
It's amazing how some people work into any thread their long term view they are determined to keep on going
For example What day of the week is it, response no point asking Hawkins
Or response it's Wednesday Widdowson and Boucard are rubbish Wednesday's
Guess the posters
It's also amazing how often you manage to pop up and complain about others expressing their views without really managing to offer anything yourself.

In regard to Boucaud, what did he do last night? A couple of poor passes and kick offs that managed to get worse each time.
He doesn't suit a two man midfield. He's fine if we're on top but is poor when we're under pressure.

No doubt you'll claim he played some good sideways nowhere passes at some point.
daggersjeff

Just a view on our current defensive frailties......

I believe its partially due to a lack of confidence in our keepers.... I'm not saying they are the worst......but neither of them are great!

(awaits the barrage of fire from the usual snipers! :mrgreen: )
lupins

Adrian wrote:It's also amazing how often you manage to pop up and complain about others expressing their views without really managing to offer anything yourself.

In regard to Boucaud, what did he do last night? A couple of poor passes and kick offs that managed to get worse each time.
He doesn't suit a two man midfield. He's fine if we're on top but is poor when we're under pressure.

No doubt you'll claim he played some good sideways nowhere passes at some point.
I did actually start with a view on our defending

My second view was about repetition

My third view will be about second repetition
leewilson

daggersjeff wrote:Just a view on our current defensive frailties......

I believe its partially due to a lack of confidence in our keepers.... I'm not saying they are the worst......but neither of them are great!

(awaits the barrage of fire from the usual snipers! :mrgreen: )
I thought the Ebbsfleet keeper was excellent last night. No chance with any of the goals. He was confident, athletic and made a brilliant point blank save when it was 3-2. 1-2 Ebbsfleet fans I've spoken to rate him highly and they got him from Gosport Borough.
Mark

Athletic? Muscle bound maybe. Good save from Whitely free kick but went down in installments and without moving his feet for our first. Point blank save just hit him didn't it?

I'm not the biggest fan of our goalkeepers but think Cousins hasn't done much wrong so far.
ARNU

lupins wrote:I will actually take a different view and say in general I thought we defended quite well just not from restarts
How many saves did Cousins have to make
It's amazing how some people work into any thread their long term view they are determined to keep on going
For example What day of the week is it, response no point asking Hawkins
Or response it's Wednesday Widdowson and Boucard are rubbish Wednesday's
Guess the posters
Supposed great player goes off boil don't mention it in discussion forum then I spose.Anyone remember clumsy doe ? Certainly ain't anymore. Corey's on fire we can talk about that but if he starts playing like a plank we gotta be quiet ? Said it before, part of being a footballer is the adulation when you're playing well and a bit of stick when you have a lean period.
Bollix to Shampoo, it's real poo we want !
leewilson

Mark wrote:Athletic? Muscle bound maybe. Good save from Whitely free kick but went down in installments and without moving his feet for our first. Point blank save just hit him didn't it?

I'm not the biggest fan of our goalkeepers but think Cousins hasn't done much wrong so far.
Point blank save was outstanding. Didn't just hit him. He threw himself at the player, spreading himself in the process. I thought he was decent.
Dags58

Hawkins was our best player last season up to the New Year with all his goals and also had his best game against Tranmere away in January looked jaded just before the Lincoln game away when he broke his arm which ruled him out for the season and playoffs.
I was very surprised he did not feature in 2nd leg against Forest Green from the start big mistake by Stilly and also taking our best player off in 2nd Half JMD I think we should now cash in Hawkins as we will lose £200.000 plus his wages if he runs down his contract.We could buy some defenders as we have let in sloppy goals so far this season and we want to get back in EFL.
SUSSEX DAGGER

Dags58 wrote:Hawkins was our best player last season up to the New Year with all his goals and also had his best game against Tranmere away in January looked jaded just before the Lincoln game away when he broke his arm which ruled him out for the season and playoffs.
I was very surprised he did not feature in 2nd leg against Forest Green from the start big mistake by Stilly and also taking our best player off in 2nd Half JMD I think we should now cash in Hawkins as we will lose £200.000 plus his wages if he runs down his contract.We could buy some defenders as we have let in sloppy goals so far this season and we want to get back in EFL.
Could always reinvent him as a Centre half , let's face it he is going to be no worse then what we have . When he played there last season he did not let anybody down , when he went in there against Maidstone away last season we were defending a 1-0 lead and he got us home. The other bonous is that he is on the pitch and will
be a problem for opposition at corners or restarts around their box.

What ever happens the two Centre halfs their at the moment don't look upto it and it needs addressing, Ebsfleet were a good side but we had them beat twice and they were allowed back in twice through woefull defending
Dags58

Sussex Dagger we could not take chance playing him at back and better up front but Stilly has put him on the bench maybe the articles last month about him were partly true but we will never know the complete truth from the club. Just sell him asap make a profit and buy decent defender with proven ability otherwise we will have to gamble with the new playoff format at the end of season.
IanC

Only just seen highlights back and stillys interview and not much else you can add really,the defending at the mo is shocking and something that needs addressing asap so that it doesn`t ruin a decent start to the season.We do look awesome at times going forward and we`ll score bucket loads this season,corey tucks the pen away then we win a a right ol ding dong of a game,the little things.Strange game for him really,should have had at least 2 goals,but in general he didn't seem at the races.Shame for MF too has I think he has been our liveliest striker to date but we are obviously having to wrap him up in cotton wool at the mo,hence being subbed every game.Finally I know the defending was woeful and it should have been dealt with but rules are rules and there throw wasn`t even close to being a no-ball,the fellas foot was miles over the line,that and coreys free kick at the death summed Tuesday up really.For those going tomorrow have a great trip, support and behave.Support needs to be better than it was tuesday with a few of the boys feeling hard done by by thommos telling off.Get over it and sing your hearts out,COYD`S!